Omar C
Omar C, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 10 years experience supporting PC/MAC, doing, well, just about everything!

My small business uses gmail to run our domain email. I have

Customer Question

My small business uses gmail to run our domain email. I have 2 macs and a blackberry and use the IMAP email to ensure that my inboxes on each computer are synced. I'm running into problems with storage (over the 7500 MB Capacity) so I moved the majority of my messages from the IMAP inbox to a locally created folder "on my mac" in mac mail. If I log into my domain email via web-based email it shows that my inbox is not nearly as full, but still indicates I have 7500+MB used. How can I archive these messages to search through in the future, yet get my storage under quota?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Omar C replied 5 years ago.
Hello. Google Apps for business offers you the same email service and more, with a 25 gigabyte/user quota for $50/user/year. If you are using this for business I would recommend this route, rather than getting into the cycle of removing email to stay under quota. More information can be found here:

You can save messages from Gmail to a local folder on the Mac, but you will then need to delete them from the server as well to free the space. There is no automatic archiving utility. Alternatively, you can drag folders from Mac Mail to your desktop or a folder and it creates an .mbox file with all the email for that folder.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. Yes, we've already explored the upgrade option. Unfortunately there is not the opportunity to only upgrade one email account, so @$50/box, we will have to spend $2500 for our 50 inboxes.

I am not sure I fully comprehend how to delete messages from the server. If they aren't in my inbox (when I go to the webmail version), where are they? How can I actually delete them?

Any further insight would be appreciated.

Expert:  Omar C replied 5 years ago.
Once they are deleted it usually sends them to the "Trash" folder. Make sure the Trash folder is emptied, and Spam folders as well. The fastest way to do this is through the web version. Also, if they have any labels or filters, the messages may not appear under the Inbox and would appear under that "label."

You could also create another gmail account as a "backup" or "archive." In this account you could copy all the messages from, let's say, a specific year, and then delete them from the main account. You would need to copy the messages within Mac mail as you cannot copy messages from one account to another on the web version.