John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Experience:  Worked on Macs and PC's for 20+ years.

I have a spreadsheet with all yearly data broken down by each

Customer Question

I have a spreadsheet with all yearly data broken down by each month.

I need to show show data in a table by Current Month, Current Quarter, and Year to Date in 6 different categories so I can graph it. (This data needs to change automatically based on the current month.) I'm using Excel 2011 for Mac.
XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
XXX-XXX-XXXX
Category: Mac
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Could you please send me the file so I can take a look at it (let me know if you are not familiar with sending files on this site)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How do I send the file as an attachment
XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Ok, go to www.wikisend.com and upload the file there (no need to sign up). You will then get a page that has the download link and File ID. Copy the download link or the File ID and come back here and paste it in your reply.

Please make sure you identify the cells in question and where you want the formulas or result to be placed

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
John this may take a few minutes to complete. The data is highly confidential, so I need to sanitized it first.
XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Sure, take your time

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Look at Row: 60 to 68, Columns B and E thru I ------ original data is above above Row 60 and we are looking at the GAIN % columns only for each month

Row 62 should come from Row 57
Row 63 should come from Row 52
Row 64 should come from Row 53
Row 65 should come from Row 47
Row 66 should come from Row 46
Row 67 should come from Row 49
Row 68 should come from Row 48

link on Wiki is: http://wikisend.com/download/451380/test copy for support.xlsx
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
John, I've sent you the file and other info you requested and not sure it is going thru to you?
XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Yes I got the file and I am looking at it now

It is clear which row is coming from which row, but what data will each cell in the row pull from the other row? Say E63 and F63, what will they pull from row 52

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Lets look at cell E62 (Current Month column) and assuming it is Jan therefore the data would automatically come from Jan GAIN % (column G). The data would therefore be coming from cell G57

Did I answer your question?
XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Not fully. I gave two examples. Quarter? would that be current quarter, which is month 1 thru 3?

Edited by John D on 12/22/2010 at 8:02 PM EST
John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Experience: Worked on Macs and PC's for 20+ years.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The Quarter column should also generate the answer based on the 1Quarter, 2Quarter etc based on the end of that Quarter of the the year. For instance if it is April 1 it would generate the it's data from cells G57, I57, and K57 averaged.

Then it would change to cover the 2Quarter months of April, May, June (GAIN %) cells
XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Thanks I think it is clear for the most part (where does '2 year data' come from if there are only 13 months)?. That means 35 unique formulas are needed none of which can be simply copied and pasted to another cell. If it were one or two unique formulas I would be happy to write them for you. Under the circumstances I am going to opt out so the question becomes open to all experts. The clarification that you provided will be available and will certainly help the other experts

Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. I guess I will have to continue assisting with this. Not a problem, I will set up a few formulas and send them out to you for your review, then we will take it from there.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
John, the idea is to have up-to-date data based on the end of last month's figures that I could put in a graph to quickly get a snapshot and comparison. The 2 year data I don't need to worry about right now since I don't have 2 yrs of data to work from yet.

It has also been suggested to me that this would be ideal for a Pivot Table. But it's been so long since I've done one I'm totally lost in trying to accomplish that as well.

I accepted your last response thinking that it would let you know that I was still on this end. I really would like to get some resolution on this issue and additional help.

I do thank you for your effort and time! 35 formulas is unreasonable!

Lee A. Jones XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
XXX-XXX-XXXX
Expert:  John D replied 3 years ago.

Ok here are most of the formulas (except for the 2-Yr part). As you will notice I had to use some helper columns (BA through BF) to hold some transitional formulas.

http://wikisend.com/download/411718/Test%20copy%20for%20tech%20support%201.xlsx

Hope this is ok