OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin
50723742

Yesterday, I was downloading some purchased music from the

Yesterday, I was downloading some purchased music from the i-tunes store.
I kept getting an error message and as I followed the prompts, I ended up deleating all
of the music from my library by mistake. There seemed to be an issue as to the i-tunes
store thinking that I had downloaded the library to two different devices. In truth, I
only have the one I-pod, but the problem started when we tried to use an external
memory device to expand our computer's memory capacity. Ever since then, I have had
trouble with my i-tunes account. I had just downloaded Cat Stevens's song Father and
Son, and an album by Pierre de Guillon. My e-mail [email protected] and my
i-pod serial number is XXXXX Can you help me get all of my purchases back and
clear up this problem? Thanks, Rog.
Category: Mac
Expert:  OSXpert replied 6 years ago.

OSXpert :

Hi, my name is Britton. Are you available?

JACUSTOMER-t662ql4p- :

Hi Britton. Yes.

OSXpert :

Good deal...

OSXpert :

Do you have all of your songs on your iPod still?

JACUSTOMER-t662ql4p- :

no

OSXpert :

hmm, this could be tricky. So, confirm for me that your music is completely unavailable...it's not on any computer, not on an iPod somewhere, etc...

JACUSTOMER-t662ql4p- :

No. the I-pod is completely empty as if it were new.

JACUSTOMER-t662ql4p- :

also, the computer program icon, when I hit it it says that it can't find it

OSXpert :

And are these songs that you have downloaded from iTunes? Or are they songs that you have copied from CDs?

JACUSTOMER-t662ql4p- :

I believe that everything in my i-tunes account was purchase at the i-tunes store.

JACUSTOMER-t662ql4p- :

Some of it is music, there are maybe 2 books, and I also purchase a broadcast

JACUSTOMER-t662ql4p- :

of a football game

OSXpert :

Bummer -- I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Apple requires its customers to back up their Music. They will not allow you to re-download your songs.

Now, that said, I have heard a number of success stories of people who have called Apple directly and have successfully been allowed to re-download their iTunes content. I make no guarantees, but it's basically your only option at this point. I'll get you the phone number, hang on just one second.

Also, if you do get your tunes back, create a backup copy on an external hard drive or something similar to prevent a total loss if you lose your original library

JACUSTOMER-t662ql4p- :

The library wouldn't be in some kind of trash bin would it?

OSXpert :

?1.) Call the following number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN This is the Apple Care Service and Support Line.
2.) When you hear the recorded greeting, enter 70. The recording will very likely reject that entry at first. If so, try again.
3.) When you're prompted to say the product that you need tech support for, say "iTunes."
4.) When you're prompted to say what type of computer you're using, say "a Windows machine" or "Macintosh."
5.) When you're prompted to say whether you're calling on behalf of a school, answer "yes" or "no."
6.) This will get you a live person. Please note: You will need to state the serial number of your iPod before you can proceed.

OSXpert :

It depends -- did you just hit the "delete" key when you had your library highlighted? If so, they may be in the recycling bin. But if they were completely deleted, then you'll have to use the instructions above to contact Apple

JACUSTOMER-t662ql4p- :

Thanks for your help. Can I keep this screen open for a bit as I try this

JACUSTOMER-t662ql4p- :

?

OSXpert :

for sure

OSXpert :

I'll be here

JACUSTOMER-t662ql4p- :

Thanks for your help. It seems to be an issue w/ the external harddrive.

OSXpert :

Are your tunes still on the external drive?

JACUSTOMER-t662ql4p- :

I will pursue that. I am signing off now. Thanks again. I will hit the accept key.Have a great holiday season.