OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin
50723742

Hello, I have a top of the line MacBook Pro from April, 2010

Hello, I have a top of the line MacBook Pro from April, 2010 2.3 ghz or so, 250 G hard D. I was having some stability problems - going off an active MS word or excel screen every few seconds. Would have to click on it to activate the doc again every few seconds. I tried starting up with shift pressed. Seemed OK. I then (big mistake!) dragged five latest date extensions (November 15 or so, 2010) out of their file in the system folder to the desktop. Then when starting, I get a gray screen, some code (Kernel panic; error 0xdc00800e, and a rectangular pane in five languages: Now you must restart your computer. Always gets this when I start up. 1) any way to get this to boot, 2) should my hard-drive data be savable? thanks I cannot find my original disks. james
Category: Mac
Expert:  OSXpert replied 4 years ago.

OSXpert :

Hi James -- my name is Britton.

OSXpert :

Unfortunately, Kernel panics are usually pretty bad. They either indicate a failing piece of hardware, or, they can happen when a hardware driver (software) has become corrupt, is incorrect for the hardware to be controlled, or when a driver that is crucial for the system has been removed (i.e. the SATA controller).

That said, can you elaborate a bit for me what you did when you say you dragged five extensions from the system folder?

Chances are you're going to have to re-install OS X -- your data should be intact, but you're going to need your original discs to re-install Mac OS X or you'll have to go buy a copy of Snow Leopard to replace the one that came with your system ($30).

Let me know and we'll go from there.

Customer :

Thanks. I went to what believe was the extensions folder in the system folder. There were five extension files

Customer :

that showed a last modified on (or something like that) date of Nov 15 or so. I clicked on them and dragged them to my desktop. And then shut down the machine and re-booted. And the unable to boot, kernel panic, da da da da......routing started.

Customer :

I have no problem with buying Leopard for a reinstall. I don't know anything about what's required do accomplish that. Are you aware of a good complete set of instructions for doing that?

Customer :

Are you still there?

OSXpert :

Re-installing is probably your best bet at this point. It sounds like you removed some important kernel extensions and it's causing the machine to panic. Go purchase a snow leopard disc from Apple -- I'll walk you through the install process.

OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience: 2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin