OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin
50723742

Is anyone out there an expert on driving serial devices via

Customer Question

Is anyone out there an expert on driving serial devices via a USB-serial convertor from a Mac (OSX 10.6.2)? I need an ubergeek/guru!
Thanks!

More detailed information:
I am trying to drive a serial device from my MacBook Pro. The relevant components are:

1) MacBook Pro running OSX10.6.2

2) USB to serial convertor; unbranded, but the driver has been installed and, as per the instruction manual, the extension "ProlificUsbSerial" appears under system profiler.

3) RS232 to RS484 convertor. This was supplied with the equipment I am trying to drive (its part number is XXXXX 8722)

4) Cable

5) Serial device. It is a 3-axis picomotor controller (New Focus model 8753) intended to be serially controlled. The cable is plugged into its "Network In" socket.

Software: the intrument supplier (New Focus) provided a LabView vi intended to drive this device. However, I presume it was intended for a PC. I am running LabView 2010, and can open the vi without problems.

The Problem:
I don't seem to be talking to the device. I get various error messages, and my suspicion is that I am doing something simple yet dumb. NOTE: if I go into system preferences/network, I can see "USB-Serial Controller D" and also "USB-Serial Controller D2" (I had previously tried installing another USB-to-serial convertor). In both cases, their Status is "Not Configured"

Any advice appreciated!
Thanks!
Paul
Category: Mac
Expert:  OSXpert replied 3 years ago.

OSXpert :

see if it responds

Customer :

Did I miss the start of your answer? I just got "see if it responds"...

OSXpert :

Yes, I recommend start with ZTerm, are you familiar?

Customer :

Hi - sorry, getting coffee. Not familiar with ZTerm; I have "Terminal", if that's any help?

OSXpert :

This is probably going to get pretty technical -- are you familiar with the command line (Terminal)?

Customer :

A little. Let's give it a go...just be gentle!

OSXpert :

Alrighty, I only have a few minutes, but we'll see what we can get done...

OSXpert :

first, lets get ZTerm...also, what is the device you are connecting?

Customer :

The device (this won't make you happy!) is a 3-axis picomotor driver - NewFocus 8753. I'm guessing this is not very helpful!

OSXpert :

k..robotics I take it?

Customer :

Yep. The device is meant to be controlled serially, and I have a LabView VI to drive it, from the supplier, but I guess it was written for PC. I can open the VI in LabView on my Mac, but it doesn't talk to the device. I'm assuming it's a basic problem with configuring the serial ports. Also, I've downloaded ZTerm - can start any time.

OSXpert :

get ZTerm here http://homepage.mac.com/dalverson/zterm/

Customer :

Already got it - it's now in my Applications folder.

OSXpert :

k, run it

OSXpert :

This is going to be tricky because I don't have a serial device plugged in, so I can't see what you see

OSXpert :

but, when you open it, you should be prompted to select a device, select your USB-Serial converter

Customer :

I started Zterm. Window comes up "Error: 2 opening port". An error window also comes up, " is not available. PLease select another port", and "Serial Port:" followed by a pulldown menu which currently says "usbserial"

Customer :

(Menu options are:

usbserial

PL2303-00002006

Bluetooth-PDA-Sync

Bluetooth-Modem

SGH-G600-SerialPort)

OSXpert :

so...the usbserial device threw the errors?

Customer :

I presume so. All I know is what I'm seeing...

Customer :

(NB - USB-serial convertor is plugged in at the moment)

OSXpert :

k, try selecting the SGH-G600 device

Customer :

OK - (SGH-G600 is my phone). I get same error message in the window (except now "Error: 16 opening port"), and error window "SGH-G600-SerialPort is not available. Please select etc."

Customer :

(NB - the phone itself isn't here, if that's relevant...)

OSXpert :

hmmm, sounds like the driver isn't installed correctly. Are you sure the driver is on there?

Customer :

For the USB-serial convertor, or for the SGH-G600?

OSXpert :

let's just focus on the USB serial converter for now

OSXpert :

unplug the other

Customer :

The installation of the convertor driver went OK, and there's the extension "ProlificUsbSerial", when I look using System Profiler - like the installation instructions said there should be.

OSXpert :

Well, without being in front of your system, it's going to be tough for me to figure out whats wrong. Serial over USB can be a big pain -- I would almost recommend buying an old junk laptop from craigslist and installing Linux...I may have to opt-out and see if another expert will pick this up.

Customer :

Yeah, but I'm kinda stuck on Mac (this thing is part of a huge system). But I did just find a forum thread indicating all kinds of problems with Prolific convertors. Any recommendations on an alternative?

OSXpert :

let me see if there is one from FTDI for mac, hang on...

Customer :

:-)

OSXpert :

you need to go USB->RS232->RS484?

Customer :

Apparently so. I have a 232>484 convertor provided by the device supplier...

OSXpert :

are you sure the motor your controlling needs to be done via RS484?

Customer :

Not absolutely sure, but it came with the device, and the 232>484 convertor was being used previously when the system was on a serial port from a PC.

OSXpert :

okay -- and that was working?

Customer :

It was. Sadly, due to an *ahem* administrative error, the PC and the software on it is now in landfill (not my fault!). And other things now mean I need to transplant to Mac anyway.

OSXpert :

bummer, let me see if I can dig something up...

Customer :

You're a hero. :-)

OSXpert :

thanks :)

OSXpert :

try this for starters...

OSXpert :

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/382968-REG/Keyspan_USA19HS_USA19HS_USB_to_Serial.html

OSXpert :

that will get you to RS232

OSXpert :

still trying to find another conversion to 484

Customer :

Ok :-)

Customer :

At the moment, I'd be happy to get any kind of signal out of my Mac :-)

OSXpert :

yeah, I understand that

Customer :

Ah - just checked the device suppliers site - they say it's controlled "

(using DLL functions and an RS-232 to RS-485 adapter)" (sorry - 485, not 484 as I'd said)

OSXpert :

You can also buy a null modem, and use it to ensure your USB-232 connections are functioning...

OSXpert :

http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtSeriesID=777&txtModelID=2261

OSXpert :

wait, might have something good here

OSXpert :

you might want to try going directly from USB to RS485...

Customer :

OK - that could be useful. So, if I understand correctly, my first action should be to get a Keyspan USB>RS232 convertor; see if it works in Zterm; check if it works on the null modem, and then see if things downstream work?

Customer :

(ah - just saw your latest - USB to RS485?

OSXpert :

yeah, let's try that -- I think it would be worth the $40 and it will reduce the complexity of your setup.

OSXpert :

http://www.rs232-converters.com/single_usb_to_rs485_converter.htm

Customer :

Anything's worth it if it helps solve the problem. I'll need to see if I can get it in the UK, but should be able to.

OSXpert :

Try that to begin with, I think it's a good start to things

Customer :

OK - it also says it uses the FTDI chipset which, according to the forum, is better than the chipset in the 232 convertor I have at the moment. I'll give it a go. Many thanks for the advice - I'll click the "Accept" button when we're done.

OSXpert :

Good deal, I have used FTDI in the past with a few different serial devices. I have always had good luck with them

Customer :

OK- here's hoping. I presume I terminate things here when I click "Accept"?

OSXpert :

Yes, it will close this session. If you want to get the new adapter, you can send additional questions to me directly by clicking my profile name

OSXpert :

If you need more info before accepting, please ask. I want to make sure you get the service you need

Customer :

OK - you mean "OSXpert"? And I think I've got my $36 worth - there's an hour of your life you won't get back again :-)

OSXpert :

haha, true :) Yes, you can click OSXpert to send questions to me directly

Customer :

Magic - thanks. I'll leave you to enjoy the rest of your day, and I'll track you down if I need another answer.

OSXpert :

Sounds good. Enjoy your (evening?). I guess it's 9:15 in the UK

OSXpert :

and thanks for your patience

Customer :

Yeah, about 9:15. I hear a bottle of wine calling me from the fridge. Thanks for your help, and have a good day over there.

OSXpert :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX wine and your Sunday. Have a good one

OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience: 2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin