OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin
50723742

my ipad wont turn on the apple symbol was there for a while

my ipad wont turn on the apple symbol was there for a while now nothing at all it flicks every now and then what do i do plz.
Category: Mac
Expert:  OSXpert replied 3 years ago.

OSXpert :

hi, my name is Britton. Are you available?

Customer :

yes

OSXpert :

Good deal. When you plug your ipad into your computer and start iTunes, does it show up in the pane on the left side?

Customer :

no

OSXpert :

Have you synced it recently? Basically, the next step is to put the iPad into DFU mode and restore it. If the iPad isn't restorable via DFU mode, then it will need to be replaced by Apple

OSXpert :

When we restore, it will completely wipe the contents of the ipad. If you have synced/backed up recently, we can put the iPad back into it's last functioning state

Customer :

nothing comes up on the ipad sceen at all not even the battery symbol .

OSXpert :

Okay, this might sound a bit redundant, but mine can be stubborn sometimes when turning on as well. Try holding the on/off button for several seconds. Attempt this a few times. If that fails, we'll try putting it into DFU mode

Customer :

lol my finger whent numb from holding it on tried everything except hitting it with a hammer lol.

OSXpert :

haha, i understand the urge to smash it with a hammer at times :)

OSXpert :

Also, do you have an iPhone or an iPod touch?

Customer :

i had and i pod

Customer :

have lol

OSXpert :

Okay, this might stupid, but are you using the charger from the iPod to charge the iPad?

Customer :

tried both chargers was on charge with the charger it came with for 12 hrs while i was at work still wont turn on.

OSXpert :

okay, and you're 100% absolutely positive that you were using the charger that the iPad came with (it will not charge with ipod/iphone chargers)

Customer :

yep the one it came with.

OSXpert :

hmmm, there are a few things that can be wrong with it, but the quick flicker on and then off almost sounds like a dead battery. Let's test the charger...grab your ipod and plug it into the iPad charger -- confirm for me that the ipod starts charging

Customer :

kk

OSXpert :

Let me know how that goes :)

Customer :

yep soon as i pluged the ipod in it statted to charge

OSXpert :

okay cool...let me get you a video on DFU mode. The timing with pushing the buttons is crucial -- the video will make it easier for you to follow. In the mean time, get your USB cable and plug your iPad into your computer

Customer :

its plugged in now

OSXpert :

k, hold the power button, see if you get any life from it

OSXpert :

if that fails, try holding the power button and the home button at the same time

Customer :

done just a flicker every now and then thats all

OSXpert :

alrighty, just for kicks, try the same thing with the ipad plugged into the power source for me...

Customer :

kk

Customer :

some life the little apple symbol come's on but just flick's on and off

OSXpert :

okay...next item...

OSXpert :

plug the USB end of the cable into your computer, do not plug your iPad into the cable, just plug the cable into the comuter

OSXpert :

Confirm for me when you get through each step so I don't get too far ahead

Customer :

done

OSXpert :

Next, press and hold the home button (round one at the bottom)...while holding the button, plug the cable into the iPad and continue to hold the home button for at least 10 seconds

Customer :

kk

Customer :

done

OSXpert :

any life?

Customer :

nope

OSXpert :

hmmmm, try it a couple of times. I know this sounds stupid, but timing is so crucial with these trouble shooting steps that (even fro technicians) it's easy to make a mistake

Customer :

lol kk

Customer :

tried 3 times still no go

OSXpert :

Bummer....one last try...with the iPad plugged into the PC, hold the home and the on/off button for 15 seconds. If you don't see anything on the screen, release only the on/off button and continue to hold the home button

Customer :

still nothing i think this battery is a dud

Customer :

at least the flicker has stopped lol

OSXpert :

lol, well, bummer. It sounds like your charger is working, however, it might only be giving a small amount of juice. If that's the case, it would explain why it powers the iPod but not the iPad.

Either way, we have gone through every possible option that we can to try to fix it without getting into repairing the hardware. That said, your next step is to take it to the Apple store. As long as it hasn't been physically damaged or dropped in water, it will still be warrantied by Apple. Make sure you take the charger with you -- they should have an iPad there that they can use to verify the charger is working

Customer :

only got it from the store yesterday xmas present for a friend mine works fine this one no go ty for your help

OSXpert :

Sounds like you just got a lemon. Sorry, there is only so much you can do without having to repair or replace the hardware. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Customer :

thats ok as i said ty for you help .......hammer time lol

OSXpert :

haha, good luck the hammer :) Might I recommend a 1.5 kg sledge hammer

Customer :

lol

OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience: 2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin