OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin
50723742

Please do NOT let DANIEL assist me. No offense. Just please

Please do NOT let "DANIEL" assist me. No offense. Just please , do not.
I am setting up a brand new desktop Mac.
I need my computer I.D. and and my e-mail identity and all info. that could
identify me as the sender of certain/particular documents, And the recipient from certain/particular sources to be very, very, very, hard, to ascertain in any sort of conclusive way. I am not referring to a 1:1 agreement with a single individual.
I want to be the sole person using my machine to select which documents get sent
anonymously.Also, my individual computer IP address: Can this be made more secure and less discernible to "tracking" a documents source.
ESSENTIALLY:What are some solid steps that I can take to come as close as I can to achieving this , probably, impossible dream.
By the way, my goal here is to become the Emperor of Creating Surprise Party Scenarios to give me the competitive edge in my Wedding Planner Enterprises , but why delimit ourselves? I know you know !!! ActionAshton

OSXpert :

Hi, my name is Britton. Let me know when you're available to chat.

Customer :

Hi Britton,

Customer :

Hi Britton. Ready. Sorry for the delay = Crazy Little Thing Called WorK. ~Bo ] Kevin

OSXpert :

Hi, are you available?

OSXpert :

I understand -- but being busy is definitely good these days :) I'll keep this chat open, back in a few minutes

Customer :

i am...

OSXpert :

Good deal...

Customer :

hi

OSXpert :

So, it sounds like you are trying to maintain anonymity when emailing some information (in a nutshell), is this correct?

Customer :

y

Customer :

yes

OSXpert :

alrighty...first, nothing is really anonymous on the internet. It might be tricky since it will often require a subpoena to get otherwise private information from an ISP such as IP, name, address, etc...But it still can be done.

OSXpert :

That said, the only way to really send something anonymously would be to use a totally public computer (e.g. coffee shop) and send the information using a free email address (gmail, yahoo, etc...) that does not have any of your private information attached to it

Customer :

the idea is set up as many imediments as possible to the casual + hackr

OSXpert :

Well, can I ask you what your end-goal is? Sending from an anonymous machine/account may not be the most ideal scenario

Customer :

I want 2 be able to send without leaving tracks back so the "conspirirators in the scenario don't know and thus, can't tell. weakest link...i saw a 12 hr and close site . what is it?

Customer :

my goal here is to become the Emperor of Creating Surprise Party Scenarios to give me the competitive edge in my Wedding Planner Enterprises , but why delimit ourselves?

OSXpert :

That said, are you concerned that hackers are actually going to attempt to compromise your security?

Customer :

Prob not, yet placing numerous obstacles before the wannabeez would be desirable

OSXpert :

If you're trying to avoid the casual hacker, first, don't use a wireless network unless all of your devices support WPA2 encryption

Customer :

good, got it

OSXpert :

Other than that, just be sure not to associate your real contact information with anything that supports importing or exporting data on your computer (e.g. email)

Customer :

must the ip # XXXXX with al exports from my comp?

Customer :

if i change comps does my ip change and can i dissassaciate it with my personali.d.?

OSXpert :

yes, the IP address of your ISP will basically accompany any internet traffic that leaves your home through your connection to your ISP

OSXpert :

Changing computers, yes, will change your IP -- but not within your personal home network (if you're using a router). You'll need to move to a different connection entirely (neighbor, library, star bucks, etc...)

Customer :

old skool?= telephone , burner texts?

OSXpert :

not following you...

OSXpert :

can you elaborate please?

Customer :

b4 u were born lol... inet came in thru your homephone # XXXXX but would also block ur ph callz

Customer :

can this still be done with a line like boiler sales doodz use that leaves no callback #?

OSXpert :

Yes, I was alive (and used frequently) when analog modems were in use :)

Essentially no, if someone wants to find out your IP address, they will have to do some work in order to do so. Even then, short of someone at your ISP revealing your information, the IP will not be attached to your name specifically

Customer :

ok. so my ip is NOT all that easy 2 access --say like a return adress on a postal letter? what do you have yo do to find an incoming item's source ip , like regular email?you look younger! what is a 12 hour and vanish email send/receive situation . seems like if 12 hr. is possible...why not 12 minutes

Customer :

can I encrypt my sender info and withold decrypt info?

OSXpert :

Your IP address is not easily hidden, let me put it that way. However, even if someone gets it, there really isn't anything that ties it to YOU specifically unless your ISP gives them your information.

Email headers (sender/recipient) are not encrypted (otherwise, they would never reach their destination). However, you can encrypt the body of the email using something like PGP

Customer :

my ideal is mtaphorically, sending amessage letter in the postpffice way and having it land and be untraceable. i know u know.

Customer :

how might my ip be limited away from most/all of my presnal info?

Customer :

yes. what ids PGP?> sorry...

OSXpert :

Your IP cannot be "omitted" from an email the way a return address can. It's always going to be there -- it's just the nature of network communications -- there must be a defined start and end point.

PGP is called "Pretty Good Privacy" -- it can provide encryption for your email's content

Customer :

Where can I get some? 1 more thing, can I split my hi speed line[incoming] to 2 comps ANF same w/cable tvs?

Customer :

ur gr8 TY massive!

OSXpert :

Not sure I understand your other question, can you re-phrase it for me? Something about cable TV and splitting the line?

Customer :

My pleasure. Kudos and bonus forthcoming

Customer :

Kev

Customer :

one cable from provider comes into one tv in my home.same with hi speed can I split each to attach to 2 more units/recvrs w/o retarding the single or being charged?

OSXpert :

For TV you can...you can split your cable TV signal into two for sure. Regarding internet, it won't work by simply splitting the incoming cable and attaching a second modem. The cable company needs some numbers off the modem in order for it to activate on their network -- once the cable company activates the modem, you will be charged a second fee for internet

Customer :

single=signal

Customer :

That all 4 Now OSXpert

Customer :

Nice 2 work with u

OSXpert :

Thanks Kevin -- let me know if you have more questions and have a good evening

Customer :

Bakatcha!