OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin
50723742

I was working with Britton. I tried to Bookmark our session

I was working with Britton. I tried to Bookmark our session before following his instruction to Reset Safari, but the Show All Bookmarks page brought me here instead of back to my session with Britton.
Category: Mac
Expert:  OSXpert replied 6 years ago.

OSXpert :

Hi -- Britton again, are you available?

JACUSTOMER-1uljimhy- :

I'm here. All the boxes were already checked in Safari. I clicked reset and closed it. Our session wasn't there in Bookmarks even though I had added it previously. Arg!!

OSXpert :

no worries -- we can close the duplicate question that you have open now

OSXpert :

Anyhow...did you attempt to send your greeting card again?

JACUSTOMER-1uljimhy- :

No, because everything was already checked in Safari, so I didn't see why anything would be different if I tried to send the card again.

OSXpert :

I'm not following you, what do you mean everything was already checked in Safari?

JACUSTOMER-1uljimhy- :

I followed your instruction to open Safari, check all the boxes -- BUT, THE BOXES HAD ALREADY BEEN CHECKED, so I followed your next instruction to check Reset Safari, closed it and then tried to get back to you.

OSXpert :

Okay good, the boxes already being checked is totally fine, as long as you clicked "reset" and restarted the browser, we're in good shape...

OSXpert :

You can open another window so you can try the e-card while keeping this chat open. To do so, click File->New Window, a new browser window will open, from there, try to re-create your greeting card

JACUSTOMER-1uljimhy- :

So do you want me to try to send the card again? I'm afraid to Bookmark you. I couldn't get back to you before

JACUSTOMER-1uljimhy- :

ok

OSXpert :

Don't bookmark this or close this session, just open a new window using the instructions above

OSXpert :

I'll be away from the computer for about 10 minutes while you try the greeting card

JACUSTOMER-1uljimhy- :

Britton, do you think my iMac would be ruined if I threw it in the pool??? I got further with the card this time...it directed me to a phone number where I could record

JACUSTOMER-1uljimhy- :

my message. But, then it wouldn't let me preview the card before sending.

OSXpert :

Stand by -- I got stuck in a meeting, just a few more minutes...

JACUSTOMER-1uljimhy- :

OK, I tried sending it without my recorded message. It says Sending with three blinking lights. But not Sent.

JACUSTOMER-1uljimhy- :

Checked on it again, lights still blinking: Now Sending. This is sooooooooo frustrating.

OSXpert :

Hmmm, let's try something else

OSXpert :

Go to this web site (click the link)...

OSXpert :

and click "Download Google Chrome"

OSXpert :

You should be prompted to install it when the download completes. Let me know when you get that far, we'll try this in a different browser....I'm guessing it will work if we use something other than Safari.

JACUSTOMER-1uljimhy- :

OK. It told me to double click the Google Chrome icon in my applications folder to launch it. It was not there. This is after I was told it had successfully downloaded.

JACUSTOMER-1uljimhy- :

OK. Tried again, and it's now in my Applications folder.

JACUSTOMER-1uljimhy- :

My Applications folder is no longer on the screen. How do I access it? The Google Chrome icon is now along the bottom of my screen. But, clicking on it doesn't launch me into it so I can try to send the infernal card!

JACUSTOMER-1uljimhy- :

I have a luncheon date and must get ready. I'd love to click Accept for you, but I don't know if I've really been helped until I can actually send a card.

JACUSTOMER-1uljimhy- :

I'll leave the window open while I shower.

JACUSTOMER-1uljimhy- :

This window, that is.

OSXpert :

Okay, sorry about that...

OSXpert :

Let me know when you finish with your shower, I should be here...

JACUSTOMER-1uljimhy- :

So, can you answer my last questions?

OSXpert :

Sure, but first, what happens when you click on the Chrome icon?

JACUSTOMER-1uljimhy- :

I get Most Recent and Recently Closed rectangles

OSXpert :

Does a window open that looks kind of like Safari (with a place to type in a web site toward the top)?

JACUSTOMER-1uljimhy- :

Most Visited and Recently Closed

JACUSTOMER-1uljimhy- :

no

OSXpert :

Does it say "Chrome" in the upper left-hand corner of the screen?

JACUSTOMER-1uljimhy- :

yes

JACUSTOMER-1uljimhy- :

shower time

OSXpert :

Will you have a few minutes after your shower? I want you to try to use chrome for your greeting card...

OSXpert :

Let me know when you're available

JACUSTOMER-1uljimhy- :

I'm back from lunch. Are you still there Britton?

OSXpert :

Hi, yes, I'm here

OSXpert :

are you still available?

JACUSTOMER-1uljimhy- :

yes

JACUSTOMER-1uljimhy- :

I just tried clicking on the Chrome icon in Applications. It took me to a bunch of UTube stuff, but not a place to actually

JACUSTOMER-1uljimhy- :

send an e-card

OSXpert :

no worries, look at the top

OSXpert :

do you see where it has a long blank line....where you can type in a web address?

OSXpert :

Are you still there?

JACUSTOMER-1uljimhy- :

yes. I found the long black line and actually managed to send a very simple e-card. I still

OSXpert :

and it actually sent?

OSXpert :

using Chrome?

JACUSTOMER-1uljimhy- :

can't send a more complicated card though. Yes, I used Chrome.

JACUSTOMER-1uljimhy- :

I also printed a gazillion-paged book from the Chrome site that is named 20

JACUSTOMER-1uljimhy- :

Things I Learned about Browsers and the Web. Will it help me?

OSXpert :

That's good news!

JACUSTOMER-1uljimhy- :

So, dear friend, I guess since I actually did send a card, I will check and you will get paid.

JACUSTOMER-1uljimhy- :

check Accept.

OSXpert :

Well, I want to make sure you're happy

OSXpert :

Are you accomplishing what you originally set out to do?

OSXpert :

Let's make sure you're all set before clicking accept...

JACUSTOMER-1uljimhy- :

This project certainly took forever. Can you check to see if I'm already signed up for online help at a monthly fee?

JACUSTOMER-1uljimhy- :

I kept getting messages that my e-mail address was already accessed by someone else.

OSXpert :

Sorry, I wish I could. But I am effectively a contractor who knows Apple Computers well -- I don't actually work on the administrative side of things at justanswer.com

OSXpert :

hang on, I can get you a link to follow...

JACUSTOMER-1uljimhy- :

Are there tutorials on the Mac that I can use to get better acquainted with it? I.E., how do I print selected parts of something rather than the whole thing?

OSXpert :

I used to have a guide that covered a lot of the basics in Mac OS X -- hang on a few, let me see if I can find it

OSXpert :

Here we go, this is a good manual. I gave it to both of my folks to help them with their Mac computers as well...

OSXpert :

I can't say it will answer every question you have, but it should answer a lot of questions and will hopefully assist you in using your Mac

OSXpert :

And this page will help you look at your account payment settings

JACUSTOMER-1uljimhy- :

Thanks much. I'll print it. And I'll come back and check Accept.

OSXpert :

sounds good. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with

OSXpert :

Are you still with me?

JACUSTOMER-1uljimhy- :

I printed all but the first 10 pages of the manual. The printer stopped, telling me to change the color cartridge. I did that, but I don't iknow

JACUSTOMER-1uljimhy- :

how to print just pages 1 - 10. I sure don't want to do the other 59 pages again!

OSXpert :

sure, go to file->print

OSXpert :

from there, you can specify a range, type "1-10"

JACUSTOMER-1uljimhy- :

I don't see that choice offered. I used to have it with my PC, so I'm familiar with it. But it's not there with the Mac.

OSXpert :

click the little arrow pointing down next to the printer name. The arrow will be in the window that pops up when you choose file->print

OSXpert :

Do you see it?

OSXpert :

I have to run -- post back to this chat when you can, I'll be back in a couple of hours

JACUSTOMER-1uljimhy- :

Britton, I finally got the first 10 pages printed. Thanks soooooooo much for your help. You have been truly patient. Happy holidays to you! I'm clicking the Accept button.