OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin
50723742

I was working with Britton. I tried to Bookmark our session

I was working with Britton. I tried to Bookmark our session before following his instruction to Reset Safari, but the Show All Bookmarks page brought me here instead of back to my session with Britton.
Category: Mac
Expert:  OSXpert replied 3 years ago.

OSXpert :

Hi -- Britton again, are you available?

Customer :

I'm here. All the boxes were already checked in Safari. I clicked reset and closed it. Our session wasn't there in Bookmarks even though I had added it previously. Arg!!

OSXpert :

no worries -- we can close the duplicate question that you have open now

OSXpert :

Anyhow...did you attempt to send your greeting card again?

Customer :

No, because everything was already checked in Safari, so I didn't see why anything would be different if I tried to send the card again.

OSXpert :

I'm not following you, what do you mean everything was already checked in Safari?

Customer :

I followed your instruction to open Safari, check all the boxes -- BUT, THE BOXES HAD ALREADY BEEN CHECKED, so I followed your next instruction to check Reset Safari, closed it and then tried to get back to you.

OSXpert :

Okay good, the boxes already being checked is totally fine, as long as you clicked "reset" and restarted the browser, we're in good shape...

OSXpert :

You can open another window so you can try the e-card while keeping this chat open. To do so, click File->New Window, a new browser window will open, from there, try to re-create your greeting card

Customer :

So do you want me to try to send the card again? I'm afraid to Bookmark you. I couldn't get back to you before

Customer :

ok

OSXpert :

Don't bookmark this or close this session, just open a new window using the instructions above

OSXpert :

I'll be away from the computer for about 10 minutes while you try the greeting card

Customer :

Britton, do you think my iMac would be ruined if I threw it in the pool??? I got further with the card this time...it directed me to a phone number where I could record

Customer :

my message. But, then it wouldn't let me preview the card before sending.

OSXpert :

Stand by -- I got stuck in a meeting, just a few more minutes...

Customer :

OK, I tried sending it without my recorded message. It says Sending with three blinking lights. But not Sent.

Customer :

Checked on it again, lights still blinking: Now Sending. This is sooooooooo frustrating.

OSXpert :

Hmmm, let's try something else

OSXpert :

Go to this web site (click the link)...

OSXpert :

and click "Download Google Chrome"

OSXpert :

You should be prompted to install it when the download completes. Let me know when you get that far, we'll try this in a different browser....I'm guessing it will work if we use something other than Safari.

Customer :

OK. It told me to double click the Google Chrome icon in my applications folder to launch it. It was not there. This is after I was told it had successfully downloaded.

Customer :

OK. Tried again, and it's now in my Applications folder.

Customer :

My Applications folder is no longer on the screen. How do I access it? The Google Chrome icon is now along the bottom of my screen. But, clicking on it doesn't launch me into it so I can try to send the infernal card!

Customer :

I have a luncheon date and must get ready. I'd love to click Accept for you, but I don't know if I've really been helped until I can actually send a card.

Customer :

I'll leave the window open while I shower.

Customer :

This window, that is.

OSXpert :

Okay, sorry about that...

OSXpert :

Let me know when you finish with your shower, I should be here...

Customer :

So, can you answer my last questions?

OSXpert :

Sure, but first, what happens when you click on the Chrome icon?

Customer :

I get Most Recent and Recently Closed rectangles

OSXpert :

Does a window open that looks kind of like Safari (with a place to type in a web site toward the top)?

Customer :

Most Visited and Recently Closed

Customer :

no

OSXpert :

Does it say "Chrome" in the upper left-hand corner of the screen?

Customer :

yes

Customer :

shower time

OSXpert :

Will you have a few minutes after your shower? I want you to try to use chrome for your greeting card...

OSXpert :

Let me know when you're available

Customer :

I'm back from lunch. Are you still there Britton?

OSXpert :

Hi, yes, I'm here

OSXpert :

are you still available?

Customer :

yes

Customer :

I just tried clicking on the Chrome icon in Applications. It took me to a bunch of UTube stuff, but not a place to actually

Customer :

send an e-card

OSXpert :

no worries, look at the top

OSXpert :

do you see where it has a long blank line....where you can type in a web address?

OSXpert :

Are you still there?

Customer :

yes. I found the long black line and actually managed to send a very simple e-card. I still

OSXpert :

and it actually sent?

OSXpert :

using Chrome?

Customer :

can't send a more complicated card though. Yes, I used Chrome.

Customer :

I also printed a gazillion-paged book from the Chrome site that is named 20

Customer :

Things I Learned about Browsers and the Web. Will it help me?

OSXpert :

That's good news!

Customer :

So, dear friend, I guess since I actually did send a card, I will check and you will get paid.

Customer :

check Accept.

OSXpert :

Well, I want to make sure you're happy

OSXpert :

Are you accomplishing what you originally set out to do?

OSXpert :

Let's make sure you're all set before clicking accept...

Customer :

This project certainly took forever. Can you check to see if I'm already signed up for online help at a monthly fee?

Customer :

I kept getting messages that my e-mail address was already accessed by someone else.

OSXpert :

Sorry, I wish I could. But I am effectively a contractor who knows Apple Computers well -- I don't actually work on the administrative side of things at justanswer.com

OSXpert :

hang on, I can get you a link to follow...

Customer :

Are there tutorials on the Mac that I can use to get better acquainted with it? I.E., how do I print selected parts of something rather than the whole thing?

OSXpert :

I used to have a guide that covered a lot of the basics in Mac OS X -- hang on a few, let me see if I can find it

OSXpert :

Here we go, this is a good manual. I gave it to both of my folks to help them with their Mac computers as well...

OSXpert :

I can't say it will answer every question you have, but it should answer a lot of questions and will hopefully assist you in using your Mac

OSXpert :

And this page will help you look at your account payment settings

Customer :

Thanks much. I'll print it. And I'll come back and check Accept.

OSXpert :

sounds good. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with

OSXpert :

Are you still with me?

Customer :

I printed all but the first 10 pages of the manual. The printer stopped, telling me to change the color cartridge. I did that, but I don't iknow

Customer :

how to print just pages 1 - 10. I sure don't want to do the other 59 pages again!

OSXpert :

sure, go to file->print

OSXpert :

from there, you can specify a range, type "1-10"

Customer :

I don't see that choice offered. I used to have it with my PC, so I'm familiar with it. But it's not there with the Mac.

OSXpert :

click the little arrow pointing down next to the printer name. The arrow will be in the window that pops up when you choose file->print

OSXpert :

Do you see it?

OSXpert :

I have to run -- post back to this chat when you can, I'll be back in a couple of hours

Customer :

Britton, I finally got the first 10 pages printed. Thanks soooooooo much for your help. You have been truly patient. Happy holidays to you! I'm clicking the Accept button.

OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience: 2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin