OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin
50723742

Why cant I download a pdf of a scientific article to my Mac

Why can't I download a pdf of a scientific article to my Mac from an internet connection?

OSXpert :

Hi, my name is Britton. Are you available to chat?

JACUSTOMER-wd8icux9- :

Yes

OSXpert :

Good deal -- are you using Safari to download the PDF?

OSXpert :

Are you still with me?

JACUSTOMER-wd8icux9- :

Yes

JACUSTOMER-wd8icux9- :

yes on Safari too

OSXpert :

okay -- can you give me some more background? Are you trying to download this PDF from a website, email, etc??

JACUSTOMER-wd8icux9- :

I have been using Safari for some years now and have not had trouble with pdfs until yesterday. I was unable to incorporate one particular pdf into a larger pdf document by using "insert pages," which worked with other pdfs. The pdf in question seems to have a confidentiality issue requiring a password, no matter what route I use to find it. When I have called it up on my screen, if I try to save with "save as" I get only an empty page with a single sentence at the top. When I try to save through my printer, under the pdf menu "save as pdf" is greyed out and is not an option. Other pdfs do not behave this way. I am using Adobe Acrobat for this. A couple days ago my Acrobat Reader Icon disappeared, but I use Acrobat anyway.

OSXpert :

I see -- Password XXXXX PDFs is fairly common when trying to restrict viewing to a specific audience. Do you know the password XXXXX the PDF? You're not going to be able to do anything with the content of the PDF until you input the password.

JACUSTOMER-wd8icux9- :

No. Not all pdfs from these same sources are password XXXXX The sources are the UCSF Medical Library or the journal BLOOD. UCSF gets theirs from BLOOD. Must I contact BLOOD to get the password?

JACUSTOMER-wd8icux9- :

Why would only one pdf among thousands be blocked?

OSXpert :

It's hard to say -- it may have simply been a mistake that the PDF creator made. It may also have to do with HIPAA -- if it contains any confidential patient material.

I would suggest contacting BLOOD to see if you can get the password XXXXX the PDF in question, or request a copy of the PDF without password XXXXX

OSXpert :

Either way, the PDF is encrypted and its contents will remain hidden until you're able to get the password

JACUSTOMER-wd8icux9- :

OK. Thanks. If that doesn't work, I will be back.

OSXpert :

Sounds good, let me know. You can contact me directly (I'll remember you, assuming you can get back to me within the next week or two) by clicking on my profile name.

OSXpert :

In my profile, you can send me a question directly

OSXpert :

Do you have any more questions for me for now?

OSXpert :

Otherwise, if you're happy with the information I have given you, please click "Accept" so that I am compensated for my time. If you have more questions or are unhappy with my advice, please do not "Accept" and let's continue chatting until you're content with your answer. Thanks!