Travis
Travis, Mac-Trained Product Designer
Experience:  19+ Years of Mac Experience, BSA in Design and 6 Years of Mac Training from University of Cincinnati
22842276

My 08 mac book pro has a screen that says i need to restart

My 08 mac book pro has a screen that says i need to restart my computer and is frozen. every time i restart it, the same screen comes on and i can not do anything else. help please!!!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Travis replied 6 years ago.

Travis :

What you are experiencing is a type of Kernel Panic. This means that it is either Hardware failure or the System File Structure is in serious disarray.

Travis :

Have you recently made any changes to the machine or added any hardware? If so, remove the hardware (memory cards?) and try to restart. Next, unplug everything but the mouse and keyboard and try to restart. Kernel Panic still? If so, let me know. Otherwise, something you just removed caused the panic.

JACUSTOMER-h9173g0x- :

currently nothing is connected to my computer. I have restarted it and i still get the same thing. I recently noticed this when I went on BTJunkie.com and started to download mp3 files. i will try and start again

JACUSTOMER-h9173g0x- :

I have a laptop so there is no mouse and keyboard. Still getting the Kernel Panic.

Travis :

Ok, start the machine off of the Mac OS X Install Disc by holding C at startup while the disk is in. Don't let go of the "C" until it starts from the Install Disk. You'll know it's started from the System Disk when it loads to a screen asking your to choose your language.

NOTE: If you can't get the mac to startup from the Install Disk, try starting up from the Install Disk in an external DVD Drive. If that doesn't work, try inserting the DVD, shutting down the mac, then powering up while holding down the "Option" key, then choosing the Install Disk when the startup manager appears (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1310). When it starts up, quit the installer (if necessary) and run Disk Utility on the Hard Drive. Verify and Repair the Disk if necessary.

Let me know what happens.

JACUSTOMER-h9173g0x- :

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX!