OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin
50723742

what does your start up disc is nearly full mean what is

what does "your start up disc is nearly full" mean? what is it? where is it? what do i do about it?

Jeremy
Category: Mac
Expert:  OSXpert replied 4 years ago.

OSXpert :

Hi, my name is Britton. Are you available?

JACUSTOMER-e1swgmgs- :

yes i am.

OSXpert :

Good deal -- what kind of Mac do you have and which version of Mac OS X are you running (click the Apple logo in the upper-left corner and choose about this mac to find out)

JACUSTOMER-e1swgmgs- :

mac O.S.X 10.6.4

OSXpert :

and what kind of Mac do you have? (iMac, Macbook, etc...)?

JACUSTOMER-e1swgmgs- :

imac

OSXpert :

okay cool, First, the startup disk is another way of describing the hard drive. The hard drive is what holds all of your personal data as well as the operating system (Mac OS X). When it starts to get full, you'll get a warning like you are, recommending that you delete some files to help free up space

OSXpert :

Let's start with the trash can...

OSXpert :

Click the trash icon on the right side of the dock

JACUSTOMER-e1swgmgs- :

done

OSXpert :

What does it say at the bottom of the window that opened up?

JACUSTOMER-e1swgmgs- :

1 of 525 selected: 152.5 mb available

OSXpert :

okay, click Finder (top right of screen) and select "Empty Trash", then click "OK"

OSXpert :

this will permanantly remove the items in the trash and will likely free up a lot of space

JACUSTOMER-e1swgmgs- :

OK done that. how do i know if it has worked?

OSXpert :

What does it say at the bottom of the trash window now?

JACUSTOMER-e1swgmgs- :

1 of 1 selected: 4.23 GB available

OSXpert :

okay, that freed up quite a bit of space -- for reference, you have about 40x more space on your hard drive now. It should be plenty, however, if you have some files that you can delete (movies, music, pictures etc...), consider deleting them to increase the amount of available space

JACUSTOMER-e1swgmgs- :

40x more than what? 40x 4.23 GB or 40x the little bit that was left? [152.5 mb]

OSXpert :

40x more than the little that was left. 4.23GB isn't a huge amount of space, but it will be plenty as long as you don't need to copy any large files (like high definition video files for example) to your iMac. If you forsee yourself working with large files or installing large pieces of software, then you may want to consider deleting some files or consider purchasing an external hard drive to store some of your content on.

JACUSTOMER-e1swgmgs- :

i have an external hard drive called signature mini but it has proved impossible to transfer anything to it. any ideas?

OSXpert :

It's probably formatted NTFS -- Macs cannot write to NTFS file systems without a separate piece of software. What happens when you try to send data to it

JACUSTOMER-e1swgmgs- :

i try to drag and drop but it refuses to move the file

OSXpert :

do you get any error messages?

JACUSTOMER-e1swgmgs- :

no

OSXpert :

Is there anything currently on the drive?

JACUSTOMER-e1swgmgs- :

yes it is about 25% full of photos mainly

OSXpert :

Okay, how did those photos get onto the drive?

JACUSTOMER-e1swgmgs- :

via my office computer - microsoft software

OSXpert :

I see, I can tell you for sure if it will work or not -- go to Finder->Applications->Utilities->Disk Utility

JACUSTOMER-e1swgmgs- :

i am there

OSXpert :

plug in the external drive, then click on the entry for it on the left hand side of disk utility

JACUSTOMER-e1swgmgs- :

done

OSXpert :

what does it say next to "write status:" at the bottom

JACUSTOMER-e1swgmgs- :

it does not say write status it does say format NTFS

OSXpert :

okay, that's why you can't copy data to it from your Mac

OSXpert :

Mac's cannot write to NTFS drives natively, you can use something like this to enabling writing to NTFS drives...

JACUSTOMER-e1swgmgs- :

thank youvery much.

JACUSTOMER-e1swgmgs- :

can i ask another question abouot passwords?

OSXpert :

sure

JACUSTOMER-e1swgmgs- :

i have forgotten my password XXXXX i cant write to a dvd without it. i asked help: help says "if oyu forget your password XXXXX the master password. there is no master password XXXXX for this computer. if i set one can i then use it to find my logon password?

OSXpert :

You can reset the master password XXXXX do you have your Mac OS X install disc?

JACUSTOMER-e1swgmgs- :

somewhere!!

OSXpert :

hmm, yeah, you'll need that to reset the master password...

OSXpert :

do you remember any of the passwords for this machine?

JACUSTOMER-e1swgmgs- :

i'll find it. there is only one login password XXXXX mine. i have to go. how do i find you again?

OSXpert :

well, I would suggest opening a new question when you find your disc and have the time to work through it

OSXpert :

you can send a question directly to me by clicking my profile name -- I'll remember who you are (assuming you get back to me in a week or so)

JACUSTOMER-e1swgmgs- :

OK! thanks and have a nice day! i have clicked accept.

OSXpert :

Thanks! Look forward to working with you again

OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience: 2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin