Omer Mushahwar
Omer Mushahwar, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  I work with Mac Computers and Servers on a daily basis
37817776

I cannot open my computer.. I changed the password and now

<p>I cannot open my computer.. I changed the password XXXXX now it won't work</p><p> </p><p>This is an apple  Mac OS X  GPG 1's imac g5</p>
Category: Mac
Expert:  Omer Mushahwar replied 3 years ago.
Hi I am one of the Experts here on Just Answer.com

I see you are using an Apple OSX
I Just want to be sure that I fully understand your situation before I provide an answer.

So you changed the password XXXXX log into your account on your MAC and now the login password XXXXX't working to allow you into the computer?

Are there any other user accounts setup on this computer?

Thanks the answer to these questions will help me provide you an exact step by step answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
NO I am the only user. I just acquired this computer from a company my husband took over..the original ID was Local and the password Bellemore. I changed the password XXXXX Muffin and now neither works. I can follow your instructions easily if you spell them out. thanks.

Hi it seems you have a duplicate question open that another expert has already provided an answer for here

http://www.justanswer.com/mac-computers/4b9u4-changed-password-cannot-computer.html

Please continue working on it there

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, no one has solved my problem, obviously. keep trying please.
Im sorry I will opt out as the other experts answer are the same steps I would offer, I will opt out now so another expert may help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I do not have the disc but I got to dos last night and I am able to follow directions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what can I tell you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I AM NOT SATISFIED. I have been told you can do this by going into dos by holding down the apple key and the s together before the screen opens. why can't you just send me the instructions from that point forward?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
are you helping me? can you send me instructions to go through dos?

Do you know what version of OSX is on the computer 10.1 10.2 ...10.6?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
two minutes will be right back with the numbers

Reboot

Hold apple + s down after you hear the chime.

When you get text prompt enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account. When you login as the new admin you can then go into accounts and change the password XXXXX the account you cannot get into this will give you access to the account

Experience: I work with Mac Computers and Servers on a daily basis
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
10.4.11
Ok please try the steps I listed above this should create a new admin account for you to use to login and reset your accounts password.

let me know if you have any questions

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how do I log in?? what do I print in boxes?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok I did it all but what to type in the boxes now....name and password?

do you not see the user names that you can click on ?

If not try admin for user and leave password XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no where would they be?? all I see is the white sign on box

what information is the sign in box asking for?

if its username and password XXXXX

Admin with a blank password