OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin

I have a wireless,pasword protected network with an Airport

I have a wireless,pasword protected network with an Airport Express. My Sony PSP Go scans or networks and the name of my network comes up, but it is in dim lettring and under security it says "unsupported." What does that mean and how can I fix it? Thanks
Category: Mac
Expert:  OSXpert replied 3 years ago.

OSXpert :

Hi, my name is Britton. Are you available?

Customer :

yes

OSXpert :

Good deal...

OSXpert :

Regarding your PSP, you're probably using WPA2 as the security method on your Airport Express. WPA2 is the most secure and newest encryption protocol for securing wireless networks. Unfortunately however, some network adapters (usually older) don't support the newer encryption methods.

OSXpert :

We can probably get around this by using another method of encryption such as WPA or WEP -- WPA is fairly secure and will do a decent job securing your network. WEP is fairly insecure and can be cracked in a matter of seconds by an experienced hacker.

Customer :

I have to meet with someone, will be available in 15 min...

OSXpert :

I have a meeting in 15 mins. Let's discuss after that

Customer :

how do I change to WPA?

OSXpert :

Do you know how to configure the airport express by running the airport express utility on your mac?

OSXpert :

Need to run and meet someone, back in a bit and we can continue

Customer :

Not sure...the airport express is hard wired to a PC actually and I also have a couple of MacBooks on the network.

Customer :

Not hard wired I meant connected via USB

Customer :

I am back, ready when you are

OSXpert :

Sorry about that, are you available?

Customer :

yes

OSXpert :

good deal

OSXpert :

Are you using one of the macbooks right now? We can use it to make modifications to the airport

Customer :

no I am at my office actually. I can run home and be back online in 10 min though. Even though the airport is physically wired to the PC, I canchange the settings via the macbook?

Customer :

do I just go back on this website to find you? I will go home now and click the link on the email, hopefully will find you again.

OSXpert :

Well, are you using the airport to create your wireless network?

Customer :

yes that is right

OSXpert :

Is one of the Macbook's connected to the airport wirelessly?

Customer :

ok I am logging out now and will log back in on my home computer in a few mins thanks

OSXpert :

and yes, you should have gotten a link indicating that an expert is working with you, that same link should bring you back to this chat

OSXpert :

okay cool

Customer :

yes the macbooks are both wirelessly connected; they use the airport network for wireless connectivity. I will be right back!

Customer :

ok I am back on macbook

OSXpert :

okay good -- go to Finder->Applications

Customer :

ok

OSXpert :

Then double click "Utilities" and Open "Airport Utility"

Customer :

ok

OSXpert :

now, is the Airport utility showing your airport express?

Customer :

yes, it has the name of my network and "main" as well as "relay" since I have another airport express to extend the range

OSXpert :

okay cool, select the whichever airport is actually creating the network -- main I presume

Customer :

ok

OSXpert :

Now -- I don't have the airport screen in front of me, so, step through the setup wizard until you get to a section that allows you to set the security on the airport

Customer :

ok I said change settings, and it asks for the password XXXXX I put in the current password XXXXX continue?

OSXpert :

Yes

Customer :

I am at the screen to create wireless network. do I change or continue w my curent wireless network?

Customer :

oh I see security now

Customer :

it says wpa2. do I choose wpa/wpa2? or wep? now it is wpa

OSXpert :

perfect, which security protocol is currently selected?

Customer :

wpa2. there is a selection for wpa2 personal (current). also wpa/wpa2 personal and wep

OSXpert :

well, first, can you choose WPA2 TKIP-AES?

Customer :

no only those 3 selections

OSXpert :

hmmm, is your PSP running the latest firmware?

Customer :

no idea, my son just got it as a gift.

OSXpert :

okay...also, on a side note, when you make changes to the airport, it will reset and probably break this connection. You may be required (on your macbook) to select the network and input the password XXXXX if we makes changes...just keep that in mind

Customer :

ok. I guess on PC also

Customer :

do I do it on finder just as I am doing now?

OSXpert :

correct, any wireless device that uses your wireless network

Customer :

on PC it must be in start menu?

OSXpert :

on your macbook, you'll click the little airport icon (looks like a wireless signal) in the upper-right corner of the screen. From there you can select your network

Customer :

so do I just choose wpa?

OSXpert :

on your PC, it will be the little networking icon on the lower-left

Customer :

ok I see it

OSXpert :

lower-right, sorry

OSXpert :

for PC

Customer :

ok thx

OSXpert :

sure...anyhow, select WPA for the security method

Customer :

we just converted to Mac and love it but still one die-hard PC user in the house

OSXpert :

Haha, I understand

Customer :

ok select wpa now. it says wpa/wpa2 personal

OSXpert :

Okay good...

Customer :

now on internet settings screen do I change anything?

OSXpert :

no, you shouldn't need to change anything else -- make sure you know the passphrase to connect to the wireless network. The airport may not have changed it, it might be the same, but go back to the security screen and make sure it's still in there

OSXpert :

Keep in mind, once you save the changes, you'll probably lose me, so you'll need to come back into this chat room

Customer :

ok I re-entered pw. say update now? and do I need to change settigns for the relay?

OSXpert :

yes, you'll want to change those settings as well.

OSXpert :

Go ahead and save/update the changes here, then go change the other airport

OSXpert :

How did it go?

Customer :

ok I will try to connect psp now

Customer :

eureka! the psp found my network and security saya wpa-psk (tkip)

OSXpert :

perfect :)

OSXpert :

Sounds like things are working for you now

Customer :

is the wpa key my network password?

OSXpert :

yes

Customer :

ok entering it to test it now, standby....

OSXpert :

sure

Customer :

awesome, it works. you saved the day and my son's holiday!

OSXpert :

Good deal, glad I was able to help

Customer :

thanks...so glad I found this site

OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience: 2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin