OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin
50723742

Im trying to put my Photoshop CS4 app onto my new Macbook

I'm trying to put my Photoshop CS4 app onto my new Macbook Pro. I bought it for my iMac.
When I try to start it up, I get a message saying that licensing for this product has stopped working, and giving an error code of 6. What does this mean? I thought I understood that I could put the app on one other computer belonging to, and registered to me.
Category: Mac
Expert:  OSXpert replied 3 years ago.

OSXpert :

Hi, my name is Britton. Are you available?

Customer :

yes

OSXpert :

Good deal...Regarding the license you purchased with CS4 -- is it a single user license?

Customer :

Hard to remember now. I bought it as a download, so there was no disc or documentation. But I thought I was allowed to put the app on a second computer.

OSXpert :

Yes, you probably have a single user license, which allows you to install CS4 on two computers...

OSXpert :

It's currently only installed on one computer, correct?

Customer :

But how do I get it onto the other? I tried copying it to a flash drive, and loading it that way. It appears to be on the new laptop, but it gives the message I mentioned before, with an error code of 6

OSXpert :

Well, first, is the actual CS4 software installed on the new computer?

Customer :

I thought so. What else do I do? I dragged to the desktop. Should I drop it in applications?

OSXpert :

It shouldn't be quite that easy (unfortunately) -- when you downloaded CS4 originally, you should have had a file that ended in .DMG -- does this sound familar?

Customer :

Not really. Not every user understand all that stuff. I just know how to use Photoshop, I don't know all the tech stuff behind its programming.

OSXpert :

That's cool, you don't need to, I'm just talking about the file that you downloaded when you initially installed CS4. Do you still have the file somewhere?

Customer :

Um- all I know is that I downloaded it and installed it. Then I thought "I should never buy a download online again- I have no physical disc or anything like that."

OSXpert :

Yeah, downloads can be tricky -- they never really tell you to make a backup or anything in case you need to re-install.

That said, I don't mean to frustrate you by asking the same question, but, In order for this to work, I need you to find the file (the download itself) that you downloaded when you first installed CS4. Start by opening Finder->Downloads. Look in this folder and see if you can find the Adobe CS4 file -- it should end in .DMG and it will probably look like this...

Full Size Image

Customer :

I don't save all that stuff. I keep emptying the downloads folder once the downloads are installed.

OSXpert :

Hmm, okay -- do you have your login/password XXXXX used on the Adobe website to download CS4?

Customer :

I would have to guess what they were. I start to think too much is assumed- that every end user knows what they're supposed to save.

Customer :

But what is error 6?

OSXpert :

one second...

OSXpert :

Can you read me the exact message please...word for word

Customer :

Licensing for this product has stopped working

OSXpert :

so where does error 6 fit in?

Customer :

This product has has encountered a problem which requires that you restart your computer before it can be launched. (Yes, the message actually repeats the word 'has')

OSXpert :

lol, nice, good to see Adobe proofreads their messages...

Customer :

If you continue to see this message after restarting your computer, please contact either your IT administrator or Adobe technical support for help, and mention the error code as the bottom of the screen.

Customer :

Then it says error: 6 and follows that with a URL for Adobe support

OSXpert :

Let's start by re-downloading CS4 from Adobe -- you'll need to dig up your login/password

Customer :

No idea how or where.

Customer :

I know Adobe wants to protect their software, but there's no chance they're making it too hard for the customer, is there?

OSXpert :

I understand -- it can be a real pain sometimes. But unfortunately, it's probably not going to get any easier

OSXpert :

Go to this web site
http://www.adobe.com/downloads/

OSXpert :

Then click sign-in at the top right corner

Customer :

I tried what I tjought was the most likely name and password XXXXX seemed to get in

Customer :

thought, of course, is what I meant.

OSXpert :

Good deal, see if you can find an area where you can see your purchase history or your previous downloads. I can't see what you're looking at, so you'll have to dig around a bit

Customer :

I found Order History. It shows that I bought CS4 on October 6, 2008, and gives an order number AD001878806

OSXpert :

Can you download it again?

Customer :

I don't have to pay again, do I?

Customer :

That may sound naive, but we're not all experts on how these things work!!

OSXpert :

No worries, you're not sounding naive -- perfectly legitimate question. No, you should not be prompted to pay again -- especially since it references your order number showing that you have already purchased it

Customer :

It gives me different options: Akamai Downloas Manager 0.99 GB or one that says 18MB. After each, it says Alternate Download Method.

OSXpert :

Click the .99GB download

OSXpert :

That should be the full software suite

Customer :

I only bought Photoshop

OSXpert :

okay, that's fine -- 18MB is still to small to be photoshop, choose .99GB

Customer :

Will I have to uninstall and reinstall?

OSXpert :

you probably have a partial install right now, so yes, we'll have to remove what's currently installed on your system. You're downloading all of this on the new (macbook Pro) system, correct?

Customer :

I want it on both the iMac and the Macbook

OSXpert :

which system is it currently installed and functioning on?

Customer :

The iMac. It's ben there for two years. The Macbook is brand new (and has a more recent OS)

Customer :

The download is sure slow. Only 6% so far.

OSXpert :

okay -- then make sure you're executing all of the instructions I give you on the Macbook Pro.

Customer :

I guess I have to. I'm still totally lost.

Customer :

Engineers need to believe that not everybody is at their level.

OSXpert :

Just stay with me - I'll do everything I can to help you get this resolved. Hopefully we won't have a need to contact Adobe

OSXpert :

Good engineers do

Customer :

Is the download going to take hours? I can't stay up all night!!

OSXpert :

It depends on your internet connection, but yes, it might take a while

Customer :

What if I can't wait for it???

OSXpert :

You can do the install tomorrow. Let's do everything else now -- that way you only have to run the install when it finishes

Customer :

And how do I get the folder off the Macbook I already put there? Can I just drag it to the trash and empty?

OSXpert :

Which folder?

Customer :

The Photoshop CS4 I copied from the iMAc.

OSXpert :

Are you running Photoshop from the folder that you copied from the iMac?

Customer :

I can't. It won't open on the Macbook. That's my original problem I wrote in with.

OSXpert :

Do you still have a copy of the folder on the iMac? If so, drag that folder to the trash, we don't need it on the Macbook Pro.

Customer :

???? What I have on the iMac is the actual app in my applications folder.

OSXpert :

That's what I was asking -- thanks. Go ahead and delete the copy on your MBP

OSXpert :

You don't need it, you're going to install a fresh copy of photoshop from the download

Customer :

But is dragging it to the trash the right way? I tried to click 'uninstall' and that didn't work.

OSXpert :

Initially, did you simply drag the Photoshop app to the "Applications" folder?

Customer :

No. It's just on the desktop

OSXpert :

and that's it correct, you just dragged it to your MBP, no installation wizards or special install steps -- confirm this for me please.

Customer :

nothing like that.

OSXpert :

In that case, all you need to do is drag it to the trash

OSXpert :

Then, to ensure no files are in use, empty the trash by clicking the "Finder" menu at the top of the screen and click "Empty Trash"

Customer :

done

OSXpert :

Excellent, I think you were having issues running Photoshop because of the way you installed it. It needs to go through a formal installation process (when the download finishes, it will walk you through each step) -- Photoshop cannot be copied between machines by dragging the app to the other computer.

OSXpert :

Are you still with me?

Customer :

yes. sorryu

Customer :

The download is 40%

OSXpert :

Okay cool. You don't need to wait for it, go ahead and go to bed, just make sure you leave the computer running. You don't want your MBP to sleep while the download is still finishing. That said, the hard part is done, when the download finishes, you'll see the adobe installer in the download -- double click it and it will walk you through the installation step-by-step.

OSXpert :

If it doesn't work, you can come back here and let me know, but I think it will work fine. I'm pretty confident the old installation is what was causing you issues.

Customer :

But as for getting onto the Macbook too- I still don't understand what to do. Can I use migration assistant? (Which I need to lean how to use!)

OSXpert :

You're downloading Photoshop currently on the MAcbook, correct?

Customer :

The download is in the iMac, I should explain. I don't have the macbook connected to the net yet, because I don't know what the wireless network in the area is. I have to call Verizon tomorrow, I have DSL through them, and ask.

Customer :

No. On the iMac

OSXpert :

Do you have a USB flash drive?

Customer :

Yeah. That's what I used before. I loaded the old Photoshop onto the flash, and onto the Macbook from the flash.

OSXpert :

Great, use the flash drive to copy the file to your MBP. Copy the file (the one that is currently downloading) to the flash drive, remove it from the iMac, insert it in the MBP and copy the file to your home folder.

Once its copied to your MBP, double click it to start the installation process.

Customer :

Okay. I'll try that. If it doesn't work, can I get you back tomorrow?

OSXpert :

Yes. You can post questions directly to me by clicking on my profile

Customer :

OK. I'll sign off for now. Thanjs.

Customer :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

OSXpert :

You're welcome. If you're satisfied with the information I have given you, please click Accept. Doing so will ensure that I am compensated for my efforts

OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience: 2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin