OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin
50723742

How do I e-mail photos

How do I e-mail photos?
Category: Mac
Expert:  OSXpert replied 3 years ago.

OSXpert :

Hi, my name is Britton. What are you using to send your emails (Apple Mail, Entourage, or an emil service through the web like Gmail, Yahoo, etc...)

Customer : Yahoo, via pop.broadband.Rogers.com
Customer : Still unresolved...any suggestions?
OSXpert :

Okay good deal -- but I still need to know how you're accessing you're Yahoo account. You mentioned you're using POP -- do you have Apple Mail configured to use POP to access your email?

If so, the easiest way to email pictures is to compose a new email, then drag the photos you want into the email itself. Let me know if this helps or if you are using a different mail client to send mail.

Customer : I don.
Customer : How do I tell if apple mail is configured to pop?
OSXpert :

When you access your email, tell me exactly how you do so. Examples would be, opening Safari and navigating to www.yahoo.com, opening Apple Mail, etc...

Customer : I have a halo icon that I press and the menu/inbox appears.
Customer : Make that yahoo icon.
OSXpert :

Are you available to chat?

Customer : Yes. My numbEr is(NNN) NNN-NNNNor else I could call you at your
Customer : Number if you e mail it to me
OSXpert :

Yeah, unfortunately, JA will not allow us to use other means of communication. All communications must go through this interface.

Customer :

OK so shall I stay online?

OSXpert :

yes, are you available to chat?

OSXpert :

Stay in the chat room when you log in, we can chat back and forth in real time

Customer :

OK I am here

OSXpert :

Hi, are you available?

Customer :

Yes

OSXpert :

okay good, what are you using to access your email?

Customer :

I am currently on my desktop. I use rogers and yahoo to access mail

OSXpert :

Is your computer a Mac?

Customer :

No.

OSXpert :

When you log into your email, tell me exactly what you do -- this will help me help you

Customer :

I click on the email icon, hit 'receive' and the messages arrive.

OSXpert :

When you click the email icon, does it open a program called outlook?

Customer :

yes

OSXpert :

okay good, open outlook (click the email icon), then create a new email message.

OSXpert :

Let me know when you get through each step so I don't get too far ahead

Customer :

Are we talking ipad or desktop?

OSXpert :

which are you trying to send pictures with?

Customer :

ipad

OSXpert :

That would have been helpful to know up front -- it's very difficult for me to help you unless you give me as many details as possible...

OSXpert :

Does your iPad currently send and receive email correctly?

Customer :

OK. Sorry. Here's the ipad detail. I use an icon called Yahoo which I press and the in box appears. If I want to compose something I press the pencil icon (compose) type the message, enter recipient address and press 'send'.

OSXpert :

hmmm, when you send and read emails on your iPad, do you tap an icon that looks like this...

Full Size Image

OSXpert :

Ignore the first, empty image...

Customer :

Yes, with 'yahoo' under the envelope.

OSXpert :

okay, to send pictures, you should be able to send them from the pictures app. from the home screen tap pictures...

Customer :

Tapped photo icon and pictures appear. I selected a picture and tapped the right leaning arrow/ drop-down has 'email photo'. I pressed this, entered a recipient and pressed send. I checked recipient (me) on desktop as well as the yahoo mail 'sent' file. Nada. I wonder if the setup is erroneous for some reason.

OSXpert :

well...is email working otherwise? Are you able to send and receive messages on your ipad?

Customer :

Yes- just sent an email to desktop which was received ...also the 'sent' box in yahoo mail indicated it had been sent.

OSXpert :

hmmm, so, you sent an email to yourself and it worked. But when you send an email with pictures attached, it doesn't work?

OSXpert :

Is that correct?

Customer :

Correct. As stated, i send pictures via the drop down from the photos app.

OSXpert :

That's a bummer -- the attachments are probably too big for your email provider -- that's the only thing I can think of...

OSXpert :

Never heard of that happening in the past though -- that'

OSXpert :

That's a new one...

Customer :

Is there any way to reduce the photo so it can be sent?

OSXpert :

Yes...select the image, choose email, then, look next to the CC/BCC field

OSXpert :

It should tell you the size of the attachment -- do you see it?

OSXpert :

Did you get my last two messages?

Customer :

The message before the "yes" ended ..''that's a new one'

OSXpert :

select the image, choose email, then, look next to the CC/BCC field

OSXpert :

Customer :

no it doesn't indicate any size

OSXpert :

Have you updated your iPad recently? This is a feature of iOS 4.2 -- which was released just a few weeks ago

Customer :

No. I am not sure how to update...my ipad was set up by my IT guy

OSXpert :

Have you synced your iPad with your computer in the past?

Customer :

i haven't but it has been in part since my contacts were downloaded from the desktop.

OSXpert :

okay, to update, you just need to plug your ipad into your desktop using the cable that it came with. Then, open iTunes and click your iPad on the left-hand side of the iTunes window. It will prompt you to update your iPad -- allow it to update. It may take several minutes

OSXpert :

Then the size feature will be available to you

Customer :

OK thanks. Will try this out and let you know results.

OSXpert :

Sounds good.

OSXpert :

Keep me posted

Customer :

Downloaded from apple. Now I can see size of pics and reduce them, but still no luck sending them.

Customer : Ok I was looking at Yahoo mail instead of apple mail. it works! many thanks
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience: 2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin