OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin
50723742

How can I get back the driver for iSight I checked a Mac

How can I get back the driver for iSight?

I checked a Mac forum & confirmed that my MacBook was no longer recognizing the iSight driver which I guess I lost when I removed a memory stick without properly terminating the application to which it was paired.

I recently reinstalled my OS from the discs I got when I purchased my laptop (about a year ago?) but this didn't get the cam working either.

I will bring it into an Apple store if this is my only option but just wanted to check here if there is a way I can do it on my own and avoid fee from Apple's Genius Bar crew.

Thank you.
Albert Capozzelli
Category: Mac
Expert:  OSXpert replied 3 years ago.

OSXpert :

Hi Albert, are you available?

Customer :

yes

OSXpert :

good deal...

OSXpert :

When you restored your mac with -- did you have to back up all of your data (in other words, did it remove the contents of the hard drive entirely)?

Customer :

I didn't go that far in my reinstall because I didn't feel I had the knowledge to repair something else if I got into deeper unknown waters.

OSXpert :

Seem to be having some trouble with the chat system, are you still there?

Customer :

yes. I'll close one of the 2 browser windows I now have open

Customer :

Yes still here. Opened another browser tab & closed it just a second ago. I'm cool. Take your time or if you need me to do something else just let me know.

OSXpert :

There we go -- sometimes the chat system at JA can have some issues

Customer :

No worries.

OSXpert :

anyhow -- so, confirm for me that you did not re-install Mac OS X?

Customer :

No. I didn't back up any files and didn't erase the disc.

Customer :

But I reinstalled without going all the way as you first asked.

OSXpert :

okay good deal -- did you do a non-destructive restore? This would have re-installed Mac OS X, but would have done so without removing all of the data on the drive

Customer :

Yes.

OSXpert :

Hmmm, this could get tricky -- you have some options, let me go through them

OSXpert :

First, you can boot into safe mode, have you tried this yet?

OSXpert :

also, resetting PRAM...

Customer :

No. Basically I didn't do anything I was unfamiliar with. Or let me say this I really did the very least things.

OSXpert :

okay, I'll post some solutions here, first, safe mode...

Customer :

I tried resetting PRAM at the very start of this process on my own. That's how I determined I lost the driver or that it wasn't being recognized.

OSXpert :

gotcha...

Customer :

Cool. And if in the end the best thing for me to do is to go the Genius Bar I'm cool with that.

OSXpert :

To boot into safe mode, try this:

1.) Shutdown your Mac

2.) Press the power button on your Mac to turn it back on

3.) As soon as you hear the startup chime noise, immediately press and hold the <SHIFT> key until you see a progress indicator.

4.) Release the <SHIFT> key when you see the progress indicator -- allow your Mac to boot up.

5.) Once your Mac has booted in safe mode, reboot it and allow it to boot normally.

OSXpert :

Second, you can download a program called Pacifist from here...

OSXpert :

http://www.charlessoft.com/

Customer :

Your steps are clear. Way better than how I understood to do this last week.

OSXpert :

Pacifist will allow you to extract the driver from your Mac OS X install DVD

OSXpert :

thanks...

OSXpert :

The driver you want to extract using Pacifist is QuickTimeUSBVDCDIgitizer.component

Customer :

Should I reboot in safe mode AND go to the site to download Pacifist? Or just the latter?

OSXpert :

Try safe mode first (go through all 5 steps then test your iSight). If that fails, try Pacifist next

Customer :

Great. I'll do this when we're done. And I'm satisfied already so just let me know.

OSXpert :

Cool, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX throw in a few more bits here to lay out all of your options..

OSXpert :

Your last option is to do a full destructive restore using your Mac OS X DVDs -- this is the only way to ensure that the problem is solved if (and only if) it is related to a software issue

Customer :

Great. Appreciate it.

OSXpert :

That said, there is a chance this can be related to a hardware problem as well. Honestly, my suggestion would be to back up your important data to a USB flash drive or an external hard drive and do a full destructive restore. Booting into safe mode is worth a try since it's easy and doesn't take much time. However, Pacifist can be tricky. If safe mode fails, I would consider the full restore option

Customer :

I'm comfortable with this recommendation and it makes sense to me. I didn't know that a proper restore was only possible with a full destructive but now that I know and have your guide I'm ready.

OSXpert :

Okay cool. Try safe mode, if it fails, go with the restore. If it still doesn't get things working, see what Apple gives you for a repair estimate. If it's more than you want to pay, you can easily go buy a USB web cam for $50 or less

Customer :

Right on! Thanks a lot. You're an expert who can communicate to someone like me and I appreciate that especially. One more issue, if I click the "save & exit" line at the bottom of this page will all our chat with your instructions be saved. Or should I cut & paste into a separate doc?

OSXpert :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX it!

I usually tell people to cut and paste the chats into a separate document. It will make it easier for you to reference without having to dig around the web site. You can also bookmark this page to make it easier to come back and re-read the chat messages

Customer :

Very cool. I'm ready to go at the task at hand (maybe tomorrow?) but you've been an excellent resource & I'm happy with the results. I'll cut & paste, bookmark the page, & begin. What do I need to do to compensate you?

OSXpert :

Sounds good. If you're content with the service, you can click the "Accept" button. This will close this session and compensate me.

OSXpert :

If you find you have more questions later, you can ask me directly by clicking my profile, or you can post the question as you did previously -- this will make the question available to all Mac experts

Customer :

Terrific. I'll just do a cut & paste before I accept -- unless it doesn't matter.

Customer :

Thanks for the return invitation. I'll bug you until you've reached your limit with me if I need to return. And I will if I get stuck!

OSXpert :

Go for the cut and paste just to be safe -- it would be a bummer to not have access to these instructions if you were unable to get to the site for some reason

Customer :

I know. Happened the first time I used the service. But I recall the resolution was much less complicated and my short term memory didn't fail, for a change!

OSXpert :

haha, good to hear :)

OSXpert :

If you're all set for now, I am going to log out and get some sleep. Let me know if you have more questions. Thanks again Albert.

OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience: 2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin