Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I just lost all my pictures in iPhoto 08. All I see are black

I just lost all my pictures in iPhoto '08. All I see are black squares with a dotted line. If I double click I get a big black ?.

I was creating a second iPhoto Library and I wanted to transfer some photos from the original library to the new one.
Did you have any other drive connected previously?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, I had a LaCie external drive hooked up. I had a backup of my library on there but now that is corrupted.
Are you sure it was a backup and not where the library was stored? That sound like what happened. Did you try to repair the drive?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, it was a copy of my library. How do I repair the drive.
Plug in the drive. Go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This is the message I got but the repair disk wasn't highlighted.

Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Invalid B-tree node size
The volume needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
Volume needs repair
So your external drive is also called Macintosh HD? After you Verify if it fails Repair should be clickable.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK, my external drive is LaCie and I went into Disk Utility and repaired. When I open iPhoto Library on this drive I still can't see any photos.
OK do the same to your Macintosh HD.

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac, and tell me the System Version, the Processor and the Memory.

Go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Invalid B-tree node size
The volume needs to be repaired.

1 HFS volume checked
Volume needs repair

I get this message as soon as I click on verify disk.
OK and Repair is not clickable?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No. Repair is not highlighted.
Put the system disk in and restart holding down the C key until you see the Apple logo. When you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, click on your drive on the left and click on verify disk. If that is Ok, Repair Permissions. If not OK try to Repair Disk.
Did that work ok?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Followed your instructions and started up from the System disk but still get the same message from Disk Utility as before.
In that case you can try a third party utility:

http://www.alsoft.com/diskwarrior/

or I would say take it in to Apple becasue if you can‘t get beyond that point no much more I can do.