Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I have an iMac and am using a Canon printer to print my documents.

Customer Question

I have an iMac and am using a Canon printer to print my documents. It won't print any PDF files. I get an error message saying something like "cannot raster; directory does not exist." I have restarted computer and updated system software.   I asked this question a moment ago but your website did not accept my password. I got a new one and am re-entering the question. I already put in my credit card into and agreed to pay $16 for an answer. I noticed that the second time I posted my question (because you didn't accept my password), you had changed the amount to $38! I would rather pay $16 . . . Please do not charge me twice. Thanks.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Are you trying to print from Adobe Reader or Preview?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello Mike,
I have replied twice to your first (and only) response to my question, and it appears that you didn't get those replies. I hope you get this one! Your answer was a question. You asked if I was trying to print from Preview. I answered no; we are trying to print from the Adobe PDF file itself. The problem still persists. I haven't yet reinstalled Adobe, and perhaps this will help. But at this point I am not ready to pay you the agreed-on $16 for your answer . . . ($38 popped up after I had agreed on $16, and there seemed to be no way to change this. Hope $16 is okay with you. If not, I will keep sleuthing on my own for awhile.) Thanks. Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
No I did not receive your other replies. The PDF has to be opened with an application, “print from the PDF file itself” means nothing. When it is opened go to the upper left of the screen what application is listed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Adobe is in the upper lest corner, so I assume this file is a PDF generated by Adobe, from which I would print. This is how it works with my other iMac. I click on the PDF file; it opens in Adobe; I go to FILE and then to PRINT, and it prints. Why would this not work on my husband's idential computer??
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
First let‘s check some things:

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac, and tell me the System Version, the Processor and the Memory.

Then go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay Mike. Oh, I do appreciate your help here!

System 10.6.5

1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Here is the hardware overview:
Model: iMac
Model identifier: iMac4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
# XXXXX: 1
Total # XXXXX: 2
L@ Cache: 2mb
Memory: 667 MHz
Boot Rom Version: IM41.0055.808
SMC Version (system): 1.1f5
Serial Number (system): W8603KGKU2P
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0016CB8593B2

I ran the "verify disc" and got a report that the computer is ok. Am running "repair permissions" anyway to see if that might help.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK after that open Acrobat go to Help/Check for Updates.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I checked for updates but Adobe is up to date. Just tried to print. Same error message.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK what is your printer model?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Canon Pixma MX860
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Go here and select Mac OS X then download and install these:

msd_-mac-mx860-14_11_3a-ea8_2.dmg

mx860sosxcp102620ea8-2.dmg

Then go to System Preferences/Print & Fax delete the printer and then add it back again, try to print.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The link was to Canon website. No option to select Mac OS X, nor did a search honor the "dmg" material you sent. Have downloaded Adobe X & deleted & reinstalled printer. Still get error message.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
You clicked on “here” in my post and it did not take you to Pixma MX860 page?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It took me to that page but you said to "select Mac OS X". Couldn't find any mention of Mac OS X to select.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
You have to scroll down see here:

graphic
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dear XXXXX,
We have a man here with us now who is trying to solve the problem. I did all the things you said to do -- downloaded the driver that Canon provided and also that second thing and installed both, then deleted and installed the printer, then restarted. No go! Still getting the same error messages. So our tech man has written down the error messages and is going to work on the problem from his place.

I do appreciate your help with my problem. You deserve to be paid the full $38 just for the trouble you have gone to, so I am accepting your answer, even though you and we still don't know what the answer IS! All best. Signing off, though of course if you get an idea and feel like sending it to me, please do. My email address XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX. Many thanks. XXXXX XXXXXXX
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK but my next suggestion would be to go to System Preferences/Print& Fax right click on any blank space on the left and go to Reset Printing System. The add you printer back
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am cllicking on blank space outside the printer window, on the desktop, to the left of the name of the printer in the white box where you print the name of the printer, and every possible other place -- not knowing what you mean by "any blank space on the left". I am right-clicking each time. Nothing pops up saying I can reset printing system. Have done a search for "reset printing system", and nothing shows up. Are you working on a PC over there? My iMac might be different. Resetting printer system is something I haven't done, and I am hoping this will release the printer to print the PDFs. Thanks.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
graphic

You don‘t see this when you right click?

Edited by Mike the MacMedic on 12/7/2010 at 4:02 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You have to press CONTROL on my iMac, and the little message "reset printer" comes up for a flash, so you have to catch it before it disppears. . . . So I did that, and then reinstalled the printer. Still getting error message. Hey, Mike: if you want to call it quits on this one, it's okay! I have set my laser printer (an old HP) to print my husband's PDFs over our wireless network. Works fine. Again: thank you so much for trying to fix this. If I hear of a fix, I will let you know. XXXXX XXXXXXX
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Well OK as a last resort you can try this:

http://www.fixamacsoftware.com/index.html