Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

Hi I have been working now for two days trying to sort out

Customer Question

Hi I have been working now for two days trying to sort out this problem. All of my apps from my ipad have now disappeared. they are on my computer, but my computer keeps saying not autorised. I have tried to autorise computer and deauthorise but get error message -42003 Please can you help
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
What operating system do you have? Mac OS or Windows?
Do you have more than one iTunes account?
I am assuming that you attempted to upgrade or sync your iPad. Have you tried restoring?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Dan, operating system is Windows 7. I have recently upgraded ipad software, but this problem started before I did that. It is allowing me to sync everything else, contacts, music, calenders, notes, etc. , just won't allow apps. The error message comes up everytime I try to sync and when I try to authorise, or deauthorise my computer. I think I have 5 accounts, but only need two, one for my computer and one for my ipad, but am unable to unauthorise without the same message appearing. Up until two days ago I was able to sync eveything with no problem. It's been very frustrating as I am unable to access my apps.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
You do indeed have a problem, Apple will allow you to de-authorize all five accounts once each year. You can de-authorize individual computers from each computer or device associated with that account.
I ran into much the same problem not long ago, I sold a few computers with out de-authorizing first and had to wait until the one year was up. Now everything is fine.
It will take some guesswork perhaps getting it straightened out.
The chances are very good that you have many different apps under many different accounts and that's where the error is coming from.
You can sort this out by logging in to each account in turn and looking at what has been purchased under that account, that way you can separate which can and cannot be synced.
It will also tell you what the date is that you can de-authorize all of them, I do recommend doing so as soon as you can and you may also want to consolidate your accounts to avoid this problem in the future.
Also a call to Apple at 1.800.275.2273 and talking to them, that is one part that I cannot do. It is well worth the time spent to straighten this out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Why has it alll been working up until I downloaded an update? You have not tlake me how I can look at each account in turn, as I only know one of my accounts which is the one I use for both my laptop and my ipad. You have not told me the date that I can de-authorise all of them either, so not sure how I can do that? I have purchased all the apps over the last 3 months, all on the same account as well.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Yes I am here, just went to dinner. I have no idea what that date is, you will have to look at your account to find that out.
You did not mention that you had just updated or what you updated.
This iPad tips and Tricks might have your answer.
Take a look at that and see.

Edited by Daniel on 12/3/2010 at 1:31 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have now deauthorised all 5 accounts. The same code keeps coming up when I try to authorise my computer again. Do I have to open an entirely new account now? I tried to do this incidentally, using my email address but it won't let me do it because it is the same as the apple user name, which I suppose I have just de-authorised. Do I have to create a new email address? At the moment I have no way of authorising apps on my computer, and no computer that is authorised, and it seems no account?
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
No, now just reauthorize the computer. This should clear it up.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I wish it were that simple... I have done that, only by turning off compatability tab in ituens. However, now my computer no longer sees my ipad and therefore automatic syncing doesn't happen when I plug them together. This is an absolute nightmare - three days wasted on this!
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
I am going to send you to a Windows expert because I do Macs more than Windows.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you - will they contact me directly?
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Hopefully, please stand by.