Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

Yikes! For reasons I wont go into, I opened Finder and changed

Yikes! For reasons I won't go into, I opened Finder and changed the name of my Home file from "franferguson" to "franferguson home." Now my computer won't let me change it back, saying "The name franferguson is already taken. Please choose a different name."

So far I have found that I my browser window no longer opens to my Preference, I have lost access to all my bookmarks, and when I try to open Skype I get a message saying, "Can't create Skype folder at /Users/franferguson/Library/Application Support/Skype. Make sure you have enough privileges to create that folder and launch Skype again."

How can I undo this disaster?
Thanks.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
You must be running OS X 10.4.x because Apple fixed that bug in later releases.
Fixing it is possible. This is a very helpful article that if followed closely will fix it.
Those will fix it, read each very carefully before doing anything including a restart.
Take your time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Right on target. Let me review the articles then respond. Thanks for the quick help.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Read carefully, please. Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Things appear differently than described in the 3 articles, but I think I have the idea. Before I do anything, let me tell you what I see and get your feedback on Next Steps. Starting from Finder window on Hard Drive / Users folder:

1. Folder Icon with label "franferguson."
Get Info shows this folder was created today. The only folder inside is "Library," which also was created today. The folders inside, also created today, are:
Autosave Information
Caches
Classic
Cookies
Preferences
Printers
Safari
Syndication

2. House Icon with label "franferguson home."
This is the original Home folder that I renamed. Folders inside are:
Desktop
Documents
Library *
Movies
Music
Pictures
profiles.bin
Public
Sites
viewone

* This Library contains all folders listed under No. 1's "franferguson / Library." The only difference is that the folders here (under No. 2's House Icon) were created several years ago, and the content of these folders is more specific and extensive than in those under No. 1's "franferguson / Library."

Next Steps? Should I:
1. Rename No. 1's Folder, calling it "franferguson oops"...
2. Rename No. 2's House icon, restoring the original label "franferguson"...
3. Move the "oops" Folder to my Desktop...
4. Restart my computer, log in, and if everything is operating normally, trash the "oops" Folder on the Desktop and empty the trash?
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
I think you have it. Check it over again just because my dad always told me to measure twice and cut once.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Will give it a try and let you know how it goes in a few minutes.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Wish you good fortune.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
YAY! It worked! ThankyouThankyouThankyou! Will gratefully click on Accept.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Glad to be of service. You are welcome.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.