Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

My bookmarks have dissapeared

My bookmarks have dissapeared
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
I need more info before I can give any good answer.
What version of Mac OS X do you have?
What version of Firefox?
What were you doing when you noticed the problem?
Please expand on 'my bookmarks have disappeared', that really doesn't give much to go on.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have saved many, many items on BOOKMARKS including articles, addresses, etc. which I click to open frequently. I clicked on BOOKMARKS on the on the very top of my screen on the line with File, Edit, View, History Tools, Window, Help, and a long list on a dropdown narrow window would appear with all of the things I had saved and I could scroll down and select the one I wanted and the page would appear on full screen. Today I clicked on BOOKMARKS and my long list was gone!
This is what Mozilla has to say about it, I think that you will find your answer here.
It covers many scenarios and you will probably be able to narrow it down quicker this way than if I keep asking more questions.
If what you find is something that I can help clarify or if this does not help please let me know.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
BOOKMARKS has reapeared! But BOOKMARK THIS PAGE doe not work!
Quit Firefox to reset it and open this page from the email, now see if make bookmark works.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Now my bookmarks are gone again after closing and reopening firefox/
Indeed, in that case let's try a few basic things.
This is a pram reset and it helps sort things out on your machine, followed by a safe boot, This cleans the caches and runs other maintenance routines.

To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys.
‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P'.
Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes, this is the sound your Mac makes on startup.
If you have a wireless keyboard then the procedure is a little bit different.
Use the very same keys but wait until the first chime and immediately press and hold those keys. I recommend getting your fingers ready because timing is critical.
This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.
This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.

Immediately following the fourth chime press and hold the shift key for the safe boot.

To do a Safe Boot, restart and before the first chime press and hold the 'Shift' key.
Wait until you see the Apple logo and the spinning gear appear, then let go.
It can take as long as 20 minutes to load, so please be patient.
When the login screen appears it will say in red on the login window 'SafeBoot'.
Now login and give it a few more minutes to finish loading.
Try doing whatever it was it was giving you the problem. If it works then probably the problem is solved, so restart normally.
If the problem persists then restart normally also, other fixes will need to be done.
Now try Firefox.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have done a PRAM restart and a safe restart.
still no bookmarks. What else can I do?
I use Safari myself so I suggest trying any other suggestions that the site I sent tells you.
You might try this.
  1. Go to the Firefox profile folder.
    • For Firefox profile locations, see the Profiles article.
  1. If there is only one profile folder, then skip to the next set of steps.
    Note: Each profile folder is named something like the following:
    xxxxxxxx.<ProfileName>
    where xxxxxxxx represents a random string of 8 characters and <ProfileName> corresponds to the name of the profile. For example, the folder containing the default profile is named xxxxxxxx.default.
  2. If you have multiple profile folders in this location, then you have multiple profiles. If you have more than one profile folder, then it is likely that Firefox has made you a new profile. In this case, you must instruct Firefox to use the profile containing your saved bookmarks, by opening the Firefox Profile Manager and choosing the right profile. See the Managing profiles article for details.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't see any profile folder when I click on the word Firefox.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
When I found my folder, it only had 2 items, the same as when I began looking for my Bookmarks!???????
What did you do the first time you got them back? Then what did you do after that? That will be a big clue I think.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
They magicallyl appeared when I selected bookmarks which I did on a whim. When I restarted, they were gone.
You have tried that againAs?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
One minute ago.
Try this, open Safari and from the File drop down menu select Import Bookmarks.
Browse to find the file that contains the bookmarks you want to import, and then click Import (on Windows, click Open). Normally the file will have “.html” or “.plist” at the end of its name.
Do a spotlight search and see what you find.

I have found this that may also help.

Using the Help menu - Firefox 3.6 and above

In Firefox 3.6 and above, you can open your profile folder directly from the Firefox Help menu, as follows: [1] [2]

• In the Firefox menu bar, click "Help" and select "Troubleshooting Information". The about:support page will open.
  • Under "Application Basics", click on "Open Containing Folder" (Windows and Linux) or "Show in Finder" (Mac OS).

Note: The Firefox menu bar contains the File, Edit, View, History, Bookmarks, Tools, and Help menu items. On Windows, the menu bar may be hidden. You can press the "Alt" key to temporarily show a hidden menu bar. [3] [4]

The profile folder is located ihere.

Profile folders are in one of these locations:

• ~/Library/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/<profile folder>
  • ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/<profile folder>

The tilde character (~) refers to the current user's Home folder, so ~/Library is the /Macintosh HD/Users/<username>/Library folder.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I opened Safari, imported Bookmarks and it went to applications! Nothing there or on the HD,
I know, I did the same thing. I just sent more info on finding the file.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I haven't received the info yet.
I have found this that may also help.

The profile folder is located ihere.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm getting weary and blearly eyed. May we continue this tomorrow aftermoon abput
3PM CST? Or accept this answer and start again tomorrow?
Yes, I am happy with that.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'll see you tomorrow in the PM. Thanks.
When ever you are ready.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm back. Later than I thought I would be.
I have been looking all over for a fix, I have found only that which I have given you to date. Sorry, I have no other ideas.