iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience:  Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing
28671728

cannot move icons on desktop. Keep snapping back and a white

cannot move icons on desktop. Keep snapping back and a white circle with a diagonal line appears.

iteachmac :

Hi I would like to help .

iteachmac :

Please can we start by using the safe boot mode .

iteachmac :

A safe boot can help ,

Turn off the Mac .

Power on the Mac .

Hold shift on the keyboard using a USB keyboard , while powering on the Mac and booting , boot to safe mode.

Once booted to safe mode , restart and boot as normal .

Full details here :-
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1455

iteachmac :

Let me know if there are still issues , we may have to make extra repairs .

iteachmac :

There is a problem with the Mac HD or OSX installation.

iteachmac :

Thanks.

JACUSTOMER-at35s90c- :

icons still snap back but no white circle appears.

iteachmac :

ok good , can you check your finder settings .

iteachmac :

Click finder .

iteachmac :

Go to view menu .

iteachmac :

Select Show view options .

iteachmac :

Switch Arrange by : to None .

iteachmac :

Does this help.

iteachmac :

Thanks.

JACUSTOMER-at35s90c- :

No luck at all and the white circle is back. I will take the desktop to the local Apple store and see what they can do. Many thanks for your attempts.

iteachmac :

Hi there is one other thing you need to try .

iteachmac :

Please use software update to take your OSX to the latest version.
If the issue is still there :-

Try deleting this file.

com.apple.finder.plist

~/Library/Preferences.

Move that file to the Trash and restart your Mac.

If this does not work , you can try creating a new user account to see if the problem exists account wide , a new user account may not have the issue . .

I hope this helps , if not let me know there is one other thing to try that should fix it ..

Thanks.

JACUSTOMER-at35s90c- :

Can't find com.apple file. And I am not comfortable creating a new user account.

iteachmac :

Hi the plist is found in the Library folder in your user folder . Not the mail library folder in Mac HD .

iteachmac :

Full path :-

iteachmac :

Mac HD / Users / Youruser / Library / Preferences / com.apple.finder.plist

iteachmac :

We can create new accounts in OSX using the Apple menu , System preferences , Accounts control panel to test if problems are resolved .

In the Accounts control panel , Unlock the pad lock , use the + button to add an account .

Disable the automatic logon function , restart and logon to your new account .

From this account you can setup your software etc for your own use with this account.

Applications are shared across the Users on the Mac , application preferences are separate for each account .
Each individual user has its own User folder with Music , pictures , documents , movies etc ,
If the Problem is local to your old user account and not system wide , this should show up if this is the case.
Creating a new account is easy in OSX . Once created , you may log out , Apple menu Log out , and log in to the new account .
Does this help the issue at all??

Regards

JACUSTOMER-at35s90c- :

Somehow I (we) managed to solve the problem - created a new account, but then went back to the old one which had all the desktop items I needed --- and the icons don't pop back any more.

iteachmac :

ah good news . Bit of a glitch going on there , creating an account can recreate some pref files and so on , glad it worked out , there was one other thing to try also , that does the same thing but forced.

iteachmac :

If your happy please press the accept button , you can also remove the other account the same way you made it but hit - on the user to remove. you cant remove the account your logged in to , so log in to the? account you want to keep and remove the other/s..