Danh, Systems Administrator
Experience:  9 Years in System Administration

I am trying to attach a scan of a jpg. file to an email message.

Customer Question

I am trying to attach a scan of a jpg. file to an email message. It will only attach with the image inserted in the email. I need to attach the actual file, not the image. How do I do that. I cannot find any answer in help. When I receive an email with such an attachment, I can convert it to a file, but then if I forward it, I reverts to an embedded image.
Gordon Wolf
Category: Mac
Expert:  Danh replied 5 years ago.
what mail program are you sending with?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I guess it is Apple. Its the one that came on machine when I bought it. I have an earthlink account which is my provider.
Expert:  Danh replied 5 years ago.

I assume you're using mac mail ... If you have html view on in your email client, it's going to embed images.

To not do that,

In your email client, go to the top under View => Message => change to Plain Text Alternative

That should set your messages to text mode, so when you attach an image, it will not be embedded

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, Yes I do have Mac Mail. I followed your instr. and clicked on Plain Text Alt. It still embed. I went back through again and now when I click view, message, I just get the faint list of :
long headers
raw sources
plain text alt
next alt
best alt
but no choices.
So Im still stuck and time is running out on getting this file to a printer.
Expert:  Danh replied 5 years ago.

Go ahead and switch it back to html.

Even though the picture is embedded in your email, you should be able to right click on it and save it as a file. Can you try that?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am not set up to right click...I usually go to edit to get to pc old right click. There in edit if I click on attachments my choices are
include orig in reply
always send windows friendly attachments (which is checked)
always send attach at end of message
Expert:  Danh replied 5 years ago.

Go back in there...and choose always send attach at end of message. I believe this will create icons for the images instead. Let me know if that does it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
nope. that didn't do it either.
Expert:  Danh replied 5 years ago.

Hmmm...that should have done it. Were you in the middle of an email when you did this. Go ahead and close out of mac mail ... open it again, but make sure you're not in the middle of composing an email.

Mail, go to the Edit » Attachments menu, and make sure 'Always Insert Attachments at end of Message' option is checked

close mac mail and reload

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Nope. Did all of the above and it is still embedded. Tried it twice to no avail. Do I need to set the mouse for right click? would that make any difference in saving it as a file?

I have solved the immediate crisis by using
Expert:  Danh replied 5 years ago.
Try a control click while in an email with the embedded photo ... and tell me what options are available? Is there a menu to save the enclosure?