Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

rebuild iphoto caches

Customer Question

rebuild iphoto caches
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
Do you want to know how to rebuild your iPhoto? Which version do you have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it came with my i 5 mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
A little more information would be helpful, such as what is it you are trying to do?
What seems to be the problem, and if you click on the item iPhoto in the menu bar and select about iPhoto and tell me what it says that would help also.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I want my photos
when I open iphoto it says rebuilding thumbnails caches
and all I get is empty squares with a dotted line around them
If I click on one it will have an explanation mark in the middle where a photo should be
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Okay, that helps a lot.
When opening iPhoto from the dock (iPhoto must not be running) press and hold the 'Option + Command' then open iPhoto by clicking in the dock for iPhoto. This is the box you will see if you did it right.
graphic
Or you will see this one.
graphic
Do that and it should fix your problem.
Let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the first choice came up
only one of the boxes was checked --the first one-- do I start there or check all of them
and it suggests back up before doing
how do I back up if they are not there?
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
I would start with one and move on from there, because the photos aren't there to start with you have nothing to lose.
What you might want to do before you do anything like that is a safe boot, this might fix it without doing anything bad.

To do a Safe Boot, restart and before the first chime press and hold the 'Shift' key.
Wait until you see the Apple logo and the spinning gear appear, then let go.
It can take as long as 20 minutes to load, so please be patient.
When the login screen appears it will say in red on the login window 'SafeBoot'.
Now login and give it a few more minutes to finish loading.
Try doing whatever it was it was giving you the problem. If it works then probably the problem is solved, so restart normally.
If the problem persists then restart normally also, other fixes will need to be done.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
if I restart will I loose you
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Bookmark this like any site you want to return to or just use the email notification to return.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am back but neither seems to be working
what next?
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Did you try all the selections for rebuilding?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes
and then it always goes back to original rebuilding caches with a bar that seems to be less than one minute
I wonder if it is stuck in a loop and not really rebuilding
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
In your dock is FontBook,
graphic
In there look for helvetica neue.
If it is off or not active then activate it, if it is on the turn it off and back on and try iPhoto again.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
that was an interesting suggestion
curious why that font?
anyway it did not solve the problem still no photos
what next please
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
iPhoto uses that font and if there is a problem with it the iPhoto does not work right.
Try repairing permissions, this PDF explains how.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no photos yet and still "rebuilding thumbnail caches" comes up blue line goes across but no photos just
dotted outline
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Try using Spotlight and look for jpeg files. When you find some use QuickLook to see if it is one of the missing.
Spotlight is that magnifying glass looking thing in the upper right corner of your screen, use the keyword JPEG, originals or perhaps a filename of a photo.
It will show you the path to where it is located, then hold down the option key and open iPhoto, create a new library and then from the drop-down menu select 'Add to Library', navigate to where you found the originals folder and select it to import all the photos into the new library.
Let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank you Daniel
I will have to go now but will pick this up later after 7p pacific time
I am worried and sorry that no†?ing worked yet will get back later
sincerely
b
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Take your time, keep me posted.