Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I have a Macpro below, early 2008 version, I need another video

Customer Question

I have a Macpro below, early 2008 version, I need another video card, it has one ATI Radeon HD 2600 in it now and I want to drive 3 monitors, I can't find the same card online anywhere, what card can I add so I can just add the 3rd monitor?

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per processor): 12 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Bus Speed: 1.6 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP31.006C.B05
SMC Version (system): 1.25f4
Serial Number (system): G88017N4XYK
Hardware UUID: 2BD0CD49-CF5E-5C00-9A8F-4297D110CA46
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
This card just came out (EVGA GTX 285 Mac Edition), I have the 280 and the same MacPro and this card is better. Great card. You don’t have to use the same one that is on your Mac.

http://www.evga.com/articles/00479/

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=safari&rls= en&q=gtx+285&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=8460620872604595840&ei=cq_3TOOdJcL38AbG2YG2BQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CD8Q8wIwBA#ps-sellers

Edited by Mike the MacMedic on 12/2/2010 at 2:39 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Wow 400 bucks, isn't there another card for less than $100, this is a old system, dont need to spend 400 bucks, also I run this card with the current card I have? I need to drive 3 monitors.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
would this work?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC002ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA5OQ&mco=MTA4MzU2MzE
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
It might but the requirements are a MacPro 2009. See customer review below that:

Pro: Works great! Early 2008 MacPro 3,1, 10GB memory, with factory option NVIDA GE 8800 GT 512 MB card in slot 1. Added the GT 120 card to slot 2 because I wanted the option of using a display with a Mini Display connector. Currently still using my older Apple LCD display with a DVI connection but have not had a chance to see if the mini display connector will work as well. Have been a Mac user since the old Mac Plus. Seems to be a good answer for older Mac Pro's.

Con: When the card was first installed both cards were still visible in the system Profiler and both would operate the display. After a couple of days the 8800 was no longer visible and old card fan ran constantly. I finally disconnected the 8800 power pigtail which killed the noisy fan but left the card in place . May pull later on. Don't know if it is a software problem or the old card just failed. Regardless, very happy with the new GT 120. Wish Apple would do a little R&D and make it an "official" card for the 3,1 Mac Pros and support it.
JJK, Kaneohe, HI
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
What you plan on using it for will make a big difference in your choice.