iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience:  Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing
28671728

Macbook Pro (july 2007) F5 button will not operate to control

Macbook Pro (july 2007) F5 button will not operate to control volume (no problem with F4 button) Please can you help?
Bill
Category: Mac
Expert:  iteachmac replied 3 years ago.

iteachmac :

Hi , I would like to help.

iteachmac :

what keyboard do you have?

iteachmac :

Please try Firefox instead , it seems to work better for many websites including Ebay while creating listings & Just answers while making posts .

?

iteachmac :

Please try Firefox
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/personal.html

iteachmac :

does your keyboard have volume controls , printed on the F keys? If so your defaults may be changed , and you want to return to the defaults .

iteachmac :

Open Apple menu , System preferences . keyboard control panel .

iteachmac :

un-tick / turn off , the option use F1 F2 etc as standard function keys.

iteachmac :

then press the keyboard shortcut tab .

iteachmac :

from here you can restore defaults shortcuts .

Customer :

Hello - I have already tried this - I tried to say so but my descriptive powers may not be that good

iteachmac :

Then go , system preferences , language and text control panel , input sources tab .

iteachmac :

and make sure your language is set for the keyboard , untick any language you do not use .

Customer :

correctly selected as English

iteachmac :

Ok , what keyboard do you have?

Customer :

It is the Macbook pro built in keyboard

iteachmac :

ok,

iteachmac :

Can you tell if the key physically works. ?

Customer :

I am an old man and not v. technical! The key will depress and return alright bu nothing happens.

iteachmac :

please try setting the key for use with spaces , or check options do not clash in these control panels . Does the key have any affect as it is . ? Please check clashing keyboard shortcuts in both Expose and spaces tabs under the expose and spaces control panel.

iteachmac :

If it is not set for use in expose or spaces , please set the key for use with expose and test . you can select F5 etc in the choices for all windows ect in expose .

iteachmac :

Does they key work?

Customer :

I'm v sorry but I am not familiar with these processes. Will it be ok if I reply o your question a bit later.

iteachmac :

setting the key for use in Expose should prove if the key is working correctly .

iteachmac :

Just open , Apple menu system preferences .

iteachmac :

Then the expose and spaces control panel .

iteachmac :

expose tab .

iteachmac :

then set your Fkey to the "all windows" option .

Customer :

ok I,m there

iteachmac :

it may already be set to f3 . just change it to your non working key . and test .

iteachmac :

you can swap that back once you have tested it works ok .

iteachmac :

If you dont have the volume control in your menu bar as yet , you can turn it on , via the sound control panel . turn on show volume in menu bar .

iteachmac :

a volume control is now presented in the menu bar . top screen right hand side. .

Customer :

I 'm sorry but these are not things i have any experience of. I'll have to come back to youlater when i'm morefamiliar with the issue

iteachmac :

Ok,

iteachmac :

do you have any drivers for mouse installed such as USB Overdrive

iteachmac :

USB Overdrive can affect the use of keys on the Mac .

iteachmac :

Tip: To see if USB Overdrive is installed on your computer:

1. From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.

2. Look for a "USB Overdrive" icon.

iteachmac :

If you have this issue, update to a later version of USB Overdrive (http://www.usboverdrive.com/).

iteachmac :

if not disregard .

iteachmac :

You may have to find the F key setup , there may be a key that is classing with your volume control F key setting .

iteachmac :

clashing sorry.

iteachmac :

here is a guide for changing the keyboard shortcuts .

iteachmac :

you can also try fn (Function key) , hold the fn (Function key) and hit F5 .

iteachmac :

If this does not work please set the setting as before but :-

iteachmac :

tick / turn on , the option use F1 F2 etc as standard function keys.

iteachmac :

then hold the fn (Function key) and hit F5 .

iteachmac :

try either way F5 or hold hold the fn (Function key) and hit F5 .

iteachmac :

Does this help?

iteachmac :

Thanks.

iteachmac :

you can also try Shift and Option along with the volume key for finer volume control . normally this should work .

iteachmac :

If there is still an issue , we may have to reset the Pram .

iteachmac :

Please try resetting the SMC and Pram in turn if required it should reset the Mac hardware and then fix the issue.

-

Try this guide by following these steps :-

Reset the SMC

To reset the SMC on a Mac Book Pro ,

1 Turn off the computer and disconnect the power.

2 Remove the battery and then hold down on the power button for 5 seconds.

3 Reinstall the battery and turn the computer back on.

Test .
Pram reset if needed ..

extra info :-

Contents of PRAM battery backed memory is similar to a PC's bios chip.
Some Macintosh computers may not have all the settings described below.

Settings Stored in PRAM :-

Status of AppleTalk
Serial Port Configuration and Port definition
Alarm clock setting
Application font
Serial printer location
Autokey rate
Autokey delay
Speaker volume
Attention (beep) sound
Double-click time
Caret blink time (insertion point rate)
Mouse scaling (mouse speed)
Startup disk
Menu blink count
Monitor depth
32-bit addressing
Virtual memory
RAM disk
Disk cache

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379?viewlocale=en_US

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM

Shut down the computer.

Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously on power on.

Turn on the computer.

Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys.
You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
You must use the build in keyboard or a usb keyboard for imacs and Mac pros or if a laptop keyboard is not working correctly etc.

Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

Release the keys.

Your computer's PRAM and the NVRAM are reset to the default values.
The clock settings may be reset to a default date on some models.
Set the clock using the internet via the Time and date preferences , Apple menu , System preferences , Time and date control panel .

If the Time and date is not held in the Mac correctly it will lose time once powered down and no AC or battery is attached for more than 20mins .
If so the internal battery may have to be changed for new .

Let hope this fixes the Mac , please let me know if this helps .

Thanks .

Customer :

Hello - tried all your suggestions. No evidence that F5 button works at all. Does this mean a hardware fault with the button?

iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience: Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing
Expert:  iteachmac replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  iteachmac replied 3 years ago.
ok lets make an new user account :-

1 Go to the Apple menu , System preferences

2 Click on "Accounts" pane control panel.

3 Unlock the padlock , use your Account password XXXXX
Disable , auto login in the accounts control panel , to choose a login on restart.

4 Press the + button to make a new user , select an administrator account .

5 Name the account , use a simple password XXXXX create the account .

6 Close the pad lock .

7 Restart and log on to your new account

8 Try all the key settings as before .

Once you have done this , shutdown the Mac , and Restart from cold .
Log on as the new user , and test

If this cures the problem then its software or / preference issue and not a hardware problem.

Thanks.

Edited by iteachmac on 12/4/2010 at 11:02 AM EST