Mike, Mac Maestro
Experience:  Apple Consultants Network, Apple Certified
50721714

sorry, i didnt get a reply to my question. unless it came

Customer Question

sorry,

i didn't get a reply to my question. unless it came in and is sitting way back with all the e mail i cannot download. i am up and running mac mail but i'd sooner be using my thunderbird. can you help me on that?

estelle
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.

Mike Kane :

Hi - I'm happy to help with your Mac issue. Please remember to Accept when we are completely finished and you are satisfied with my answer. I suggest you download the latest version of Thunderbird at http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/

Mike Kane :

Once it is installed, you can import your settings from Apple Mail and the Apple Address Book and be on your way. Let me know if you have any questions along the way, otherwise, please accept my answer - positive feedback and a bonus are always appreciated. Thanks!

Customer :

ok i have you bookmarked, so and i may ot be able to get back to you till afater the week end

Mike Kane :

No problem - hope it works for you. Thanks!

Customer :

nope i downloaded and installed the latest version. when i tried to use it some old stuff came up users, and old account settinngs etc, but i cannot send anything cause it saiad i wasn't connected.

Customer :

hey, i'm a pretty old lady . i do better talking to someone. can i send you my phone number or you send yours and we can make an appointment and talk me thru this, instead of sending all kinds of e mail back and forth.

Mike :

Unfortunately, Just Answer is only a web based service. We are not permitted to exchange contact information. I will try to do my best to help you this way, or perhaps you may want to look for a local consultant. If you need someone to help you directly in your local area, I suggest you go to http://consultants.apple.com on the Apple Web Site. You can search by zip code, and a list of Apple Consultants in your area will be listed. Network members will be displayed along with their specialties and skills. Look for a consultant the specializes in helping home users. I am a member of this group and can assure you that you will be well taken care of. If you want to continue with me online, I will be happy to help.

Customer :

gotcha,

Customer :

when are you usually on i will try sto catch you thens.s

Customer :

e

Mike :

I will be available Monday after 7:00am PST

Customer :

so you are on mostly in the daytime huh

Customer :

e

Mike :

Usually and in the evening off and on as well.

Customer :

i'll get to you tomorrow. i hope

Customer :

e

Mike :

OK - Thanks!

Customer :

in case you forgot

Mike :

I am here are you ready?

Customer :

i have an i mac , running 10.6.5

Mike :

OK - who is your email provider and who is your Internet provider?

Mike :

And you have already downloaded the latest Thunderbird - right?

Customer :

i am am using mac mail but it doesn't want to send a lot of my messages out. says mac mail cannot connect with this server at this time try alaternet pop address or something like that.

Customer :

what i kept on getting withtkhunderbird was cannot send with this pop address

Mike :

I need to know who you are trying to configure for - who is your email provider?

Customer :

soooo i deleted netscapeand reloaded i new but then tb said i couldn't register because my name and pass word were already taken

Mike :

WHO IS YOUR EMAIL PROVIDER?

Customer :

my e mail provider is att

Mike :

what is your email affress?

Customer : XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Mike :

it blocks out the address - just the part after the @

Customer :

huh? so what do i do

Mike :

type in the part after the @sign of your email address so i can look up the correct settings

Mike :

for example is it - att.net or yahoo.att.net or what?

Customer :

from where mail or att

Mike :

what is the last part of your email address after the @ sign

Mike :

hello? Are you there?

Mike :

I just need the last part of your email address - the part after the @ sign

Customer :

i cannot get it to stay opened long enough to write it. there are two choices, @att.net and there is anoather one that has att..com@yahoo: somesthing abaut i can't find it

Mike :

Without knowing who is hosting your email, I'm afraid I can't be of much help. Do you have an email that you sent that might have the address on it? I just need to know the last part after the @ sign

Mike :

do not type the @ sign or the system will block it - just the characters following

Mike :

If you are having trouble with this chat mode, I can change it to the Q & A form - would that help?

Customer :

take a minute to find it there is one from an incoming mail that says yahoogroups.com

Mike :

No I need YOUR email address

Mike :

When you send email - what is the sending address?

Mike :

Do you know your email address?

Customer :

att.net>

Mike :

Thank you - just a moment while I get the settings we need.

Mike :

OK - now - please decide which program you want to use for email, Apple Mail, Thunderbird or ???

Customer :

i'd like to use thunderbird

Mike :

OK - have you downloaded Thunderbird from mozilla.com?

Customer :

just did it

Mike :

OK - please start ThunderBird

Mike :

Goto the top menu bar on your screen and where it says Thunderbird, click it to select Preferences

Mike :

Sorry cancl that

Mike :

Look for the Tools item on that menu bar and select Account Settings

Customer :

says failed to connect with pop server at att....

Mike :

Dont worry about it - we are going to reset everything. Please goto Tools and select Account Settings

Mike :

In the left column, Click on your old settings, and delete them.

Mike :

In the Middle Column, click on Create new account

Customer :

window saysXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Customer :

and below that stmp.att.yahoo.com

Customer :

and below that smtp.att.yahoo.com att.net

Mike :

OK - clink on the att.net one, and look in the middle column for View Settings for this account and click it

Mike :

On the left side of the window that just opened, look for a drop-down in the lower right that says Account actions

Mike :

Click and select Remove Account. Tell me when you have done this.

Customer :

don't see acount ation

Mike :

Did you click on the account above?

Mike :

Do you have Thunderbird v 3.1.6

Mike :

The correct download is at: http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/

Customer :

the page is divided two squares top and bottom top says server name and has the same info as above one with the space and att.net after it down below it says acct information,andXXX@XXXXXX.XXX and smtp.att.yahoo.com

Customer :

then it says advanced and says use defaults ports 25 465 587 that's the line that is checked

Mike :

Did you do the step I asked for by clicking on View Settings for this account?

Mike :

Then click on the line that says ______.att.net

Mike :

I mean -------@att.net

Customer :

use ssl or custom port are not checked and it says authentication but that's blank. i've seen other people's computers where they have set up several accounts and this page doesn't look like theirs. do i have to go back and set up a new account that's only for thunderbird

Mike :

I am trying to get you to delete the account. You are not following my instructions. I really think you would be better served having someone come to your house or take your machine to the Apple store and have them configure this for you. I am sorry that I am not able to direct you in a clear enough manner to help. Sorry.

Customer :

yes i thought so but i found another page that says

Customer :

i just found another page

Customer :

att.net POP

Customer :

att.net POP

Mike :

Did you find the Account Actions?

Mike :

I really am not understanding what you are looking at. If you had been following my directions, you would see a Window with a list on the left and a form on the right. The list of the left starts with Local Folders

Mike :

After the Local Folders is a line that should have your email address in it..

Mike :

At the bottem there is a button to drop-down marked Account Actions

Mike :

Do you see that?

Customer :

#$^&^^%%$

Customer :

i just found antoher page with settings and i'm having trouble getting them typed in

Mike :

I have not asked you to type anything. You are making this much harder than it needs to be. I cannot spend any more time with you. I can see you are frustrated and I am really sorry. I think it best if I opt-out and allow another Expert to try to help. Thanks for allowing me to try to help, and I hope you'll find someone that can do this for you in your local area. Thank you.

Customer :

it says accountnfo at the bottom it says pop.att.yahoo.com then underneath it says smtp.att.yahoo.comXXX@XXXXXX.XXX and undaear that there is a drop ddown window

Customer :

mike

Customer :

i'm sorsry, after you left the chat, i went back and re read our previous e maiils. i realized that i mis read somesthing you said about restoring the tb settings are you willing to try again