Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I have a quick question. I just reinstalled the system on

I have a quick question.

I just reinstalled the system on my Mac mini, running system X, but I didn't erase the information; just put the system back on, on top of the old one.

Most of my apps worked fine, but now Mozilla Firefox won't even start. Its window opens and the mouse shows "loading", but then it freezes.

Am I missing some kind of plug-in? How can I make it run again?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Just trash it and download it again. Use Safari

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/firefox.html

but first
First let‘s check some things:

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac, and tell me the System Version, the Processor and the Memory.

Then go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair.

Edited by Mike the MacMedic on 12/2/2010 at 4:00 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The system version is 10.4.11
The processor is a 1.5 GHz PowerPc G4
The memory is 1 GB DDR SDRAM

I ran the disk verification and the permissions verification. The disk verified fine; the permissions required repair, which I did.

I tried running Firefox again after that, but it froze again.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.

Firefox also has a .plist file at: your home folder/Library/Preferences/org.mozilla.firefox.plist you may wish to remove.
If you also wish to remove your Firefox user data and settings (bookmarks, extensions, etc.) trash the "Firefox" folder, located here: your home folder/Library/Application Support/Firefox.

Edited by Mike the MacMedic on 12/2/2010 at 6:13 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I deleted the mozilla .plist file and re-downloaded Firefox, but the same thing still happens.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
You have restarted during this time, correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I restarted, but it froze again.
What else could be wrong with it?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Did you remove your Firefox user data and settings (bookmarks, extensions, etc.) trash the "Firefox" folder, located here: your home folder/Library/Application Support/Firefox.

Also try reinstalling this:

http://support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_OS_X_10_4_11_Combo_Update__PPC_&locale=fr_FR

I have to signoff before I fall asleep, we can continue tomorrow if that doesn’t work. Is that ok?

Edited by Mike the MacMedic on 12/2/2010 at 6:57 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sure thing!
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK when you are ready come back here.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I reinstalled the combo update, but it still freezes. I also noticed that when it attempts to launch, the icon in the dock appears, disappears, then returns, as if it were launching twice. The same happens when I right-click to force quit it when it freezes: the "application is not responding" menu comes up twice and I have to click "force quit" twice. I checked in the applications and library folders and can only find one version of Firefox, and I just uninstalled and reinstalled - only once. Could there be a second version somewhere I don't know about?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I deleted the user data and reinstalled, but it still does the same thing, and it still seems to be launching (and force quitting) twice.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
At this point I recommend you reinstall your system or better yet get 10.5 Leopard far less problems than 10.4. Need instructions?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can I update my current system? If so, what kind of problems with drivers is this going to cause, as it will probably require a lot of updates? How many of my programs would still work with the new system?

Also, since Firefox worked before the system was reinstalled, what could have changed about it that makes this no longer work?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Something is corrupt. 10.5 should not have many problems as far as programs not working. I can’t be sure unless you have a list of your programs, and the versions you have.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How would I update the system? Do I need to buy a newer version, or is there a place I can download it for free?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
No you need to buy it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So nothing further can be done about getting Firefox to work as is?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
You can try just reinstalling your present system but I recemend you get 10.5 Do you want instructions?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, thanks. I think I'll just try reinstalling the system and see what I can do.
Thanks for all your help!
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
You should reinstall and do Archive and Install
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That's what I did the last time - and then this happened....
So I might just wipe it and start over.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK but when you wipe, or erase make sure you choose the option to Zero Out Data.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.