Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

Microsoft office appears to be gone from MAC (ICON gone and

Microsoft office MAC 2008 (home and student edition) appears to be gone from MAC (ICON gone and does not appear under the applications) but I did NOT deinstall it. is it still on the computer or do I need to reinstall it? When I try to open a ".doc" document it goes to the textedit application. I do not have the cd for office MAC with me at this location so I was hoping that the software is still on the computer.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Go to Macintosh HD/Applications folder. There is no Microsoft Office folder?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is No Microsoft Office folder anymore.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Well in that case something serious happened.

First let‘s check some things:

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac, and tell me the System Version, the Processor and the Memory.

Then go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair.

If all OK reinstall Office.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Version 10.6.5
Processor 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB1067 MHz DOR3

I ran the "verify disk permissions" and I got a very long list of files that say "group differs..." and "permissions differ..." I did not run the verify disk yet. Will it cause harm by running it (loose files)?.
Will the repair disk loose files when it is run? I,m worried about making it worse than it is.

Thanks, Maureen

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
No it will be worse if you don’t. Just Verifying does nothing to your disk
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Disk verify Stopped in the middle and said I need to run disk repair. Do I start the computer from another disk to run the repair? Will I loose files in the repair ?? I'm worried I'll mess stuff up???
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Should I run "Repair disk permissions" before I go to repair disk?????
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I went back and ran repair disk permissions and then ran verify disk but I still got the message that stopped verify in then middle and it said i needed to run repair disk. I have not done this yet cause i'm worried about messing other stuff up?????
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
No follow the instructions you need to Verify first if it fails you need to Repair. If Repair fails then you need to boot from disk to Repair. If you are worried about your files and you can startup you need to backup first.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do I backup?
And if I put the install disk in will it automatically boot from the disk?
Once I boot from the install CD where will I find the utilities. Will the applications still b there???
Sorry I'm not very familiar with the Mac.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
The applications that come with it will be there but anything else no. You can buy an external drive and use Time Machine to backup first or you can take a chance and just try the repair, up to you. Let me know.