John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Experience:  Worked on Macs and PC's for 20+ years.
53785

On an Excel spreadsheet when I enter a value into a cell the

Customer Question

On an Excel spreadsheet when I enter a value into a cell the view moves to the top of the page. How can I change that so that it doesn't move to a new location?
Category: Mac
Expert:  John D replied 6 years ago.

Try unfreezing the panes (Window > UnFreeze Panes).

If that does not work please send me the file so I can see what the problem is

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
John,
When I selected the whole spreadsheet and went to Window the option was to Freeze not Unfreeze. I tried to freeze and then Unfreeze and still no luck. The spreadsheet that I'm having an issue with has sensitive company info.
Expert:  John D replied 6 years ago.

Shouldn't be a problem, just delete the sensitive info and send it out. I just want to see the structure of the sheet

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
John,
Where do I send it?
Expert:  John D replied 6 years ago.

Ok, go to www.wikisend.com and upload the file there (no need to sign up). You will then get a page that has the File ID and Download Link. Copy either the File ID or the Download Link and come back here and paste it in your reply.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
http://wikisend.com/download/529438/Excel problem.xls

John,
To see the issue go to Dec 2010 Sales and enter a value. The issue has changed slightly in the spreadsheet I'm downloading has a bunch of data deleted. Now after you make a change to a cell, as in Dec sales, it returns to that cell after jumping to the top of the spreadsheet. In my larger formated P&L it stays at the top eand doesn't return to the active cell.
Expert:  John D replied 6 years ago.

hmm.. which sheet, which column, which cell?

I don't see any Dec 2010, and if type a value in any of the cells (say cell C41) nothing strange happens

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
John,
Cell S57 is Dec Sales. Select that cell and start entering a new value. You will see it jump to the top of the page. On the Test sheet I downloaded to you once you enter the new number it goes back to the changed cell S57. On my Full spreadsheet it doesn't go back.
Expert:  John D replied 6 years ago.

Not doing that on this file. After typing in S57 and hitting Enter it goes to the next cell as it should

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I will try again tomorrow