Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

I have a MacBook and when I click on the mail icon it wo

Customer Question

I have a MacBook and when I click on the mail icon it won't open up. How do I fix this?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
Multiple clicks don't help, of course you have discovered this.
Generally this is the case when maintenance is needed.
Repairing the permissions, followed by a pram reset and if necessary a safe boot.
This will generally fix this problem, but sometimes something more is needed.
This PDF will explain how to repair permissions.

I would try that before you do anything else and if it fails then do the following.

To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys.
‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P'.
Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes, this is the sound your Mac makes on startup.
If you have a wireless keyboard then the procedure is a little bit different.
Use the very same keys but wait until the first chime and immediately press and hold those keys. I recommend getting your fingers ready because timing is critical.
This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.
This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.

To do a Safe Boot, restart and before the first chime press and hold the 'Shift' key.
Wait until you see the Apple logo and the spinning gear appear, then let go.
It can take as long as 20 minutes to load, so please be patient.
When the login screen appears it will say in red on the login window 'SafeBoot'.
Now login and give it a few more minutes to finish loading.
Try doing whatever it was it was giving you the problem. If it works then probably the problem is solved, so restart normally.
If the problem persists then restart normally also, other fixes will need to be done.
This runs UNIX repair routines that are normally neglected and can dramatically improve the performance of your machine. Make certain that you restart normally because certain functions do not work in safe mode.
Let me know please.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hang on until I have my son help do your suggested answer for repair. I am 83 years old and it is making me hesitant to try all these things!
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
No problem, take your time.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I was nervous to try all the things you replied, so I phoned my granddaughter who is 11 years old to help me. I told her what my problem was. She has a MacBook which she uses at middle school (and at home) in the computer-based curriculum program and no doubt knows more than I do. She had me remove the mail icon and go to spotlight and put it back again. It worked, and my mail came up!! Such a simple solution.

May I not pay the $28??

Thank you,
E. Wilson

Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Sounds like you got a good deal. Easy fix and one that I have not tried. The procedures I recommended are good, a lot like an oil change, new tires and a good wash for your car.
Have a Merry Christmas. Listen to her and ask about the advice I gave.
As for the pay that is up to you.