Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I exported an iPhoto slideshow to iDVD, and used a soundtrack

Customer Question

I exported an iPhoto slideshow to iDVD, and used a soundtrack I had put together in Garageband as background music. This is a compilation of many songs and orchestrations, and I used the setting which supposedly times the show to coincide with the end of the music. The music ends about 3 slides before the end, goes silent, then begins to repeat. There is a short movie clip in the 880 some odd slides, and I don't know if that movie clip time is accounted for when iDVD calculates the per-slide time. It hasn't seemed to have mattered in the one other presentation with a movie clip that I put together previously. Also is there a way to fast forward the iDVD show to get to a certain spot that still correlates the sound with the scenes?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
One way to do this is to use iMovie, by doing this you can set the time for each photo, sync your music to the slides that you want to show, use the transitions that you like (mix-and-match), include any videos with or without their own soundtracks and then insert chapter markers where ever you want to skip forward to in your slideshow.
After you get through editing and iMovie then you send it to iDVD, all of your chapters will be included and will be on a separate menu.
I would change the way you are putting it together, iPhoto is nice but it does not have the editing capabilities that iMovie does and it does not have the ability to put markers were you wish to pick it up.
That link is for iMovie support and tutorials for editing.
I hope that helps.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well, it would appear I would have to start over with iMovie. I'll try that on the next project, but for the present one that I have spent some time in iDVD editing and adding comments to the slides, I'd like to complete in iDVD. Two other projects were successfully completed without this problem, but I can't locate the reason why this one is different. So...for this particular problem, your answer, while probably the better way to go in the future, doesn't help.
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
You might try deleting the iDVD plist, this does not harm any project but can fix problems with sound and video.
First quit iDVD and open a finder window in column view. Below is the path to the plist, drag it to the trash, iDVD will create a new one, hopefully without the issue.
graphic
graphic
graphic
Double click on the two bars to expand the column, makes it much easier to find.