iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience:  Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing
28671728

Ashik, I am experiencing another issue on my mac. When

Ashik,

I am experiencing another issue on my mac. When I turn the computer on, it tried to boot up but would shut itself down. This happened several times.

Using the instructions you gave me previously, I tried to bring the machine up in safe mode. Now what is happening is that the machine tries to boot up but the little wheel that spins at the start-up just keeps spinning and spinning - for a total of 10 minutes - until I finally hard stoped the machine.

Now, when I try to start the computer, that is all that happens - the little wheel starts spinning and nothing happens after that.

Any steps I might take to clear this issue?

Tom Amon
Category: Mac
Expert:  iteachmac replied 3 years ago.

iteachmac :

Lets run though some basic repair checks .

Repair Mac HD , Check Permissions with the OSX Startup volume.

To check for disk errors and possibly fix issues with the Mac HD volume and other Partitions .

Please run a Mac HD drive repair ,
and Repair Permissions of the Mac HD startup volume .

Review this video to become familiar with the below procedure ..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFv3h7MVX4A&feature=related

Disk Utility

1 Start from your Mac OS X Install disc: Insert the installation disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2 When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu.
(In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)?

Important:- Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer.
If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.

3 Click the First Aid tab.

4 Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

5 Choose your Mac OS X volume.

6 Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

If errors are found please run the check twice .

Report any errors in displayed RED to me .

Tip:- Always start up your computer from an Install or Restore disc when using Disk Utility to verify or repair your startup volume.
**Perform Disk permission repairs while Booted to your Mac HD as normal**.

Please run repairs on all your Mac HD partitions and disks.
Choose in turn the drive name from the left hand list , and use repair .

Run repairs twice if RED errors where found , check to see if they are now cleared.

Using the Repair Privileges Utility

For Mac OS X 10.2 or later, open Disk Utility found in the Applications/Utilities folder.

Select your Mac OS X startup volume in the column on the left of the Disk Utility window, then click the First Aid tab.

Click the Repair Disk Permissions button.

Please wait while the Mac HD is checked.

Report any errors displayed in RED to me .

-

Permissions Defined
Mac OS X incorporates a subsystem based on a UNIX-style operating system that uses permissions in the file system.
Every file and folder on your hard disk has an associated set of permissions that determines who can read, write to, or execute it.

-

Next up system maintenance:

Please try using ONYX to repair clean and check all OSX caches , font caches and other maintenance scripts .
http://www.titanium.free.fr/download.php?sid=6f63238cb23c94b2fcb384373b97b83e

About OnyX
A multifunction utility for Mac OS X.

It allows you to verify the Startup Disk and the structure of its System files, to run misc tasks of system maintenance, to configure the hidden parameters of the Finder, Dock and of some of Apple’s own applications, to delete caches, to remove a certain number of files and folders that may become cumbersome and more. We can also check the SMART status of the HD with OnyX .

Extra tools:

-

Also its best to get a full disk repair tool for future use :-

Drive genius may have prevent this problem as it seems your Mac HD had an error that needed to be fixed , Apple disk utilities is a basic application not intended for major disk error repairs or testing :-

http://www.prosofteng.com/products/drive_genius.php?PHPSESSID=d0291636841b25cf082e211e2d6def53

or drive 10 for OSX depending on OSX version .

-

Now run some tests with your software and see if there's a difference ?

-

Once the Mac HD is tested ok or repaired , you can go on to update the software , please let me know if there are issues ,and give full details. We may need to Archive and install Mac OSX if problems persist and check the Mac hardware is working correctly . And i will give details of how to do that keeping your user account intact if needed.

I hope this helps .

Thanks .

iteachmac :

If you need extra help please ask , thanks . You may have to archive and install if the problem is not fixed . please state if the issue is not fixed before archive and install I will send details if you have to do this . It is important you have the info .

Customer :

I am looking for the box of Mac disks now. They are not where they normally are so will have to do some hunting prior to working on your instructions.

iteachmac :

Hi ,

iteachmac :

Ok yes , please make sure they are very clean before use . any dirt prints or marks will make the disks unusable .

iteachmac :

do you want the Archive and install details now , just incase you need them ? or just reply to me here , I will guide you though .

iteachmac :

R

iteachmac :

lol

iteachmac :

thanks.

Customer :

I have copied your instructions to a file for later use. It would be good to archive just be sure.
Thank you.

iteachmac :

hi ,

iteachmac :

Please repair the Mac HD before use of archive and install , do not attempt the below before the drive is passed Green on repair of the Mac HD .

iteachmac :

We have an option to fix the Mac HD keeping your settings and user account intact , and we shouldn't loose any DATA other than changes to the OS that can be updated using Software update as normal , documents will be preserved as the user account will be saved , although some applications may need to be reinstalled .

-

Using the Mac OSX install disk , we can use the Archive and install option keeping the User intact , we can keep the user settings and data as was before the crash of OSX doing so.

-

Procedure:

Please try to perform an Archive and install of OSX from your OSX install DVD Making sure you select :- "preserve user and network settings" before installing.

As follows :-

1 About Archive and Install:-

Available in Mac OS X 10.2 and later, an Archive and Install installation automatically moves existing system files to a folder named Previous System, then installs Mac OS X again.

You cannot start up your computer using a Previous System folder, nor can you "re-bless" the Previous System folder. We just delete the old system "Previous System" once were happy with our new install.

You can choose to preserve your user and network settings before installing.

This option automatically moves existing users, Home directories, and network settings. This also skips the Setup Assistant after installation.

Note: Because the "Preserve user and network settings" option moves, not copies, existing users, Home directories, and network settings, from the Previous Systems folder to the newly installed System, these items will not exist in the Previous Systems folder after the Archive and Install is complete. This is what we need to do as the previous system is broken in some way.

Lets start with the archive and install , we need to boot from the DVD holding the C key on start up using a USB keyboard.

1 Boot up in to the OSX installer .

2 Before starting the installation, you may wish to use Disk Utility to verify and repair the volume, Select Disk Utilities from the Menu .
Choose to repair the Mac HD volume and then also repair disk permissions from within Disk utilities.

3 After using Disk Utilities , Choose Install Mac OSX or OSX Installer from the Menu.
to reopen the OSX installer .

4 Select your language. The Welcome to the Mac OS X Installer window appears.

5 Click Continue.
The Important Information window appears.
After reading or printing the information, click Continue.
The Software License Agreement window appears.

6 After reading or printing the information, click Continue.
An agreement sheet appears. If you agree with the license agreement,
click Agree.

7 The Select a Destination window appears.
Click the HD volume that you wish to install to.
Choose your Mac HD boot volume that has stopped working correctly.

8 Click Options.
The installation options sheet appears.

9 Select Archive and Install.

10 Select the volume which already has Mac OS X installed.
You should also select Preserve Users and Network Settings, to preserve network and Home directory settings.

11 Click OK.

12 Click Continue to begin the installation.

Wait for the installation to complete and restart the computer .
Hopefully the installer will complete successfully and your user and data are now active and as before the crash .

Restart and Login as your normal user and check your user is working correctly and your data is ok and intact .

Please let me know and if all is ok.

Update the system software using Software update , or preferably an OSX combo updater DMG downloaded from the Apple downloads section on apple.com .

Reinstall any applications that require a full install if they run in to problems testing , such as Photo shop or Final cut pro or Logic audio etc if you have these on your system although they may still work ok , Most stand alone applications should still work fine as before in your applications folder , they may be in the old System folders Applications folder , move these to the new Applications folder if need be .

Once happy delete the old System folder . "Previous system folder ".

Please let me know once you have performed the "archive and install" using the Preserve Users and Network Settings , option checked on .
and we can work from there .

This should fix your OSX problems .

Thanks .

iteachmac :

thats the complete info . if you still have issues or are unsure please let me know .

iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience: Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing
Expert:  iteachmac replied 3 years ago.
Hi if you contact apple they can send a replacement install disk it's normally around 15£. Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have the disk finally. I have booted up the machine and was able to get to the utilities.

On the left of the utility window, I show the following:

149.1 GB Fujitsu MHY2...

Macintosh HD

I selected the Macintosh HD and ran the First Aid Repair Disk.

I have run the utility 4 times and have received the following errors which ended in termination of the repair utility:

First Aide Failed

Invalid Node structure (multiple incidents)

Invalid record count (multiple incidents)

Invalid sibling link

I have not been able to successfully run the utility First Aid as yet.

What would be the next step.

Expert:  iteachmac replied 3 years ago.
Hi did you run repair from install DVD ? if yes :-

The HD has issues , Apples tool cant fix it .

Does the HD have any data you need?

If you get a new drive you should be able to reinstall on new drive , and recover your full user account and applications from old drive while mounted in USB HD case to read data using Via "Migration assistant" , found in the Mac HD / Applications / Utilities folder..

Or try repairs ..and then archive and install , the drive must be repaired or this will fail also.

The below may help.

-

iteachmac, The Duke!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was afraid of that when I started seeing the issues returning and the repair shutting down prematurely.

You had indicated the enhanced software previously as well as drive 10. I will have to look into it. Thank you for the assistance.

Tom Amon