Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I am having ipod issues. I thought that if i had commissioned

I am having ipod issues. I thought that if i had "commissioned" computers to use itunes that my library would load up - and could be edited on any of the commissioned computers, directly from the ipod. i guess this isn't true? my ipod touch is full of my daughters music because she used another ipod with my computer/itunes. Now i want to get rid of her music and consolidate all of my itunes purchased music that has been downloaded to three different commissioned computers. The other issue is that the computer that holds my original library blew up and i don't have a recent back up of the itunes on that drive.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
There are no 'Commissioned' computers where iTunes is concerned. You can have a maximum of five 'Authorized' computers. By authorized I mean that it will be authorized to play purchased music from iTunes on what ever account was used to purchase it.

Each computer will have its own iTunes library, depending upon the version of iTunes you can turn on home sharing if they are on the same network and thus share libraries.
Unfortunately, Apple allows one download per purchased music track or album, if you lose it then you have to buy it again.
Each mobile device such as an iPod will have its own iTunes account so if your iPod touch has your daughter's music on it then someone synced it incorrectly.
This Apple article will explain in more detail what is and is not possible in iTunes.
That should answer your question.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.