Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I have a MacBook Pro laptop which supports Wi-Fi and want to

I have a MacBook Pro laptop which supports Wi-Fi and want to know how to establish a home wireless network using a Linksys Model No. WCG200 Ver. 2.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
This is the setup instructions for use without using the CD.
This is common for Macs because the CD deals with Windows.

All Linksys by Cisco routers and access points have a built-in web-based setup page that allows users to quickly customize various device configurations.

NOTE: Before accessing the router's web-based setup page, make sure that the router is powered ON. The computer should be wired to one of the Ethernet ports located at the back of the router (1, 2, 3 or 4).

Accessing the Router's Web-Based Setup Page

Step 1:
Open a web browser such as Safari.

Step 2:
Once Safari loads, enter the router's IP address in the Address bar on top. Press Return on your keyboard.

NOTE: 192.168.1.1 is the default IP address for most Linksys by Cisco routers.

Image

NOTE: If the IP address of the router has been changed, please enter the current IP address instead.

The router's IP address can be changed by:

i. Running the router's setup CD.

NOTE: The router's setup CD is not compatible with Mac OS.

ii. Changing the default IP address on the router's web-based setup page.

If you forgot the router's IP address, please try the following:

i. Check the router's IP address.

NOTE:
For instructions on how to check your router's IP address, please click here.

ii. Reset the router to factory defaults

NOTE:
Resetting your router will erase any configurations that were previously set. For instructions on how to reset the router, please click here.

Step 3:
A new window will appear on your screen, prompting for a Name: and Password:. Leave the Name: field blank, and type in your router's password XXXXX the Password:field (The default password XXXXX admin). Click Log In to continue.

Image

NOTE:
If the router's password XXXXX been changed, type in the new password XXXXX the Password: field instead.

The router's password XXXXX be changed by:

i. Running the router's setup CD.
ii. Changing it on the router's web-based setup page.

If you are facing difficulties accessing the router's web-based setup page, please click here.

NOTE: When saving settings on the router's web-based setup page in Safari, you may receive an error message stating that Safari can't connect to the server.

Image

If you are receiving the above error message, please try the following workarounds:

i. Press Save Settings immediately after making changes within the web-based setup page. If you wait too
long after making changes, safari will say Safari can't open the page when you attempt to save the
settings.
ii. Refresh the page and save settings again.
iii. If possible, try using another computer (preferably a Windows PC).
iv. Try using or downloading an alternative Internet browser such as Mozilla Firefox.

That is the default to gain access to the setup page inside the router.
You will find tabs for wireless setup that contains security, network name (important for identification to tell your network from others).
If you set a password XXXXX the router make sure you put it where you will find it because it will be needed sometime in the future.
All those links will guide you trough the steps, please read carefully before clicking.
If I can clarify please ask.

Hello, my name is Dan.

Step 1:
Open a web browser such as Safari.

Step 2:

Image

i. Running the router's setup CD.

i. Check the router's IP address.

NOTE:

NOTE:

Step 3:
A new window will appear on your screen, prompting for a Name: and Password:. Leave the Name: field blank, and type in your router's password in the Password:field (The default password is admin). Click Log In to continue.

Image

NOTE:
If the router's password has been changed, type in the new password in the Password: field instead.

The router's password can be changed by:

i. Running the router's setup CD.

Image

settings.

If you set a password for the router make sure you put it where you will find it because it will be needed sometime in the future.
If I can clarify please ask.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Procedure sounds way too complex. I'll get an Apple router. If you reply to this I will accept your answer.
I do recommend the Apple router, the software is already in your Utilities folder and is called AirPort Utility, it does make it easy to set up.
Those are the instructions for the Airport. Easy to follow.
The procedure really isn't all that hard, just go slow and double check before you click.