Nick M
Nick M, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  7 years experience at a Mac-based school, 600+ workstations
27238994

Can not play songs off the computer. I keep getting a window

Can not play songs off the computer. I keep getting a window telling me "The song could not be used because the original file could not be found". Hope you can help me... Thanks
Category: Mac
Expert:  Nick M replied 3 years ago.

Nick M :

Greetings. iTunes isn't lying about its problem - it cannot find that music file. Do all of your music files in iTunes behave this way? It may be that your iTunes Music Folder is misplaced.

Customer :

Yes, all tunes give me the same window. the window also says, "do I want to locate file" I answered yes but still can't find file...

Nick M :

Look in your My Documents/My Music/ folder to see if the iTunes Music Folder is still there.

Customer :

OK, I'lll try that, give me a few minutes....

Customer :

I found the files on My music, I tried playing but still the same, no response and still tells me the same thing....

Nick M :

Well, for example, can you open up My Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\ and make sure that you actually have the song in question there? Because iTunes thinks the song isn't where it should be, so we need to verify if the file is actually there.

Customer :

I found my files on "Greg ITunes Music and they play..

Nick M :

Okay, so maybe the best plan is to drag that folder back into iTunes and repopulate it, because it clearly has gotten lost.

Customer :

I don't know how to do that but I'll figure it out.

Customer :

This all started yesterday when I tried to download my new IPad. Looks like I'm going to have to open a new File for the IPad, am I right?

Nick M :

Oh no, it's very easy. Simply take your entire folder with all your music, and drag it into the iTunes window.

Nick M :

If you're sure that the folder has your music, then just copying it into iTunes should solve that problem.

Customer :

The original I Tunes File?

Customer :

ok

Nick M :

So what you want to do is select the folder that has all of your music

Nick M :

and then drag that folder onto iTunes' main window, where is normally shows your music

Nick M :

Does that make sense?

Customer :

yes,

Customer :

Would you believe I can't turn the music off now...!!

Nick M :

Did it work?

Customer :

No

Nick M :

Okay, let's try this. Go to the iTunes preferences, which I believe is in the Edit menu

Nick M :

Now go to the Advanced tab and tell me what it says under "iTunes Media folder location"

Customer :

Itunes won't open

Nick M :

What does it say when you try?

Customer :

It's not opening

Nick M :

Right click on your taskbar and open up the Task Manager (it's one of the options in the menu).

Customer :

The icon just flashs and that's it....

Nick M :

Is "iTunes" listed in the Applications of the Task Manager?

Customer :

Where's task manager?

Customer :

ITunes isn't opening at all.

Nick M :

Alternatively, hit Ctrl-Shift-Esc all at the same time

Nick M :

it should open up the Task Manager

Customer :

GOT IT.

Nick M :

Okay, now is "iTunes" listed in the open applications?

Customer :

Got it..

Nick M :

Did you get it to work?

Customer :

I got the task manager, what now?

Nick M :

Okay, so now click on the "Processes" tab, and then click on "Image Name" to sort by name

Nick M :

and then look and see if "itunes.exe" is listed there

Customer :

ok, found it

Customer :

shall I highlite and End Process?

Nick M :

Yes.

Nick M :

End the process, and then try opening up iTunes again. Don't close the Task Manager window, just in case we need it again.

Customer :

ok

Customer :

ITunes opened but still getting the same window, original file lost..

Nick M :

Well, the important thing is that at least iTunes is open. Now you're looking at your library, right?

Customer :

yes

Nick M :

Okay, leave that window open

Customer :

ok

Nick M :

now open up the folder you had earlier, with all of your music files in it

Nick M :

and drag your music files into the iTunes window

Nick M :

Basically you're copying them back into iTunes

Customer :

ok, here goes....

Customer :

LOL...how'd you do that? It's working. I'm going to shut everything down and try and bring it back up... give me a minute....

Customer :

I just shut everything down , brought it back and now I have doubled the files. I tried to play one file and it's the bad file the second file works fine. Everything is doubled now with one still in error...how can I delete the bad file without doing it one by one?

Nick M :

I believe in the File menu is an option called "Display Duplicates"

Nick M :

If you play around with the sort options, you can get it so that you can select all of the bad ones at once by holding down shift

Customer :

can't find sort...

Customer :

Nick, I think I'm at the point where I can move files around and I'll just delete the extra files when I get a chance. Thanks for the help. You'll probably be hearing from me when I start getting my IPad sync'd. Thanks again

Nick M, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience: 7 years experience at a Mac-based school, 600+ workstations