Mike, Mac Maestro
Experience:  Apple Consultants Network, Apple Certified
50721714

this morning when i opened my entourage email program all my

this morning when i opened my entourage email program all my emails were gone only to see a welcome email as if first time using entourage. Just spent 1 hour with a justanswer colleague of yours, we seem to have found the folder with emails 2.34GB but when we tried to copy back still didnt appear in entourage. Im convinced i have the email file here just cant seem to take it back to entourage. Im in urgent need to resolve this as my job emails are all in there. thanks so much.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Mike Kane :

Hi - I'm happy to help with your Mac issue. Please remember to Accept when we are completely finished and you are satisfied with my answer. When you were trying before, did you do a Repair Disk Permissions?

Customer :

Hi

Customer :

I did not do a repair disk before

Customer :

i have a business call between 2-3. Perhaps we can do it after that if your not back before 2. thanks.

Mike Kane :

OK - so open Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility. Locate Macintosh HD on the left side. Click Repair Disk Permissions in the larger window. Let it go to completion and then try Entourge again. Looks like it is having trouble opening Microsoft Data - Main Identity. Let me know how it goes.

Customer :

hello

Customer :

ok ill go ahead and do that first

Customer :

ok it looks like 9 minutes

Mike Kane :

OK - hopefully it is just a permissions issue keeping Entourage from opening your identity file. Keep me posted.

Customer :

ok permission repair is done shall i reboot or jusr turn on entourage

Mike Kane :

Just try to open Entourage at this point

Customer :

i turned on entourage and it still gives me welcome message as if its my first time using it

Customer :

nothing else in there

Mike Kane :

wait 1 sec...

Mike Kane :

Oh BTW which verson of entourage are you running

Customer :

2008

Customer :

12.2.3

Mike Kane :

OK With Entourage open - On the top Menu Bar there is an Item called Entourage next to the Apple icon. Click and drop down to switch identity.

Mike Kane :

It asks if you really want to - click Switch. Tell me hat appears in the Slect an Identit Box

Mike Kane :

Also in the HElp Item on the Menu Bar - there is a check for Updates. You are behind in your updates and need to get it to version 12.2.7

Customer :

it didnt show a box

Customer :

ill update now

Customer :

its telling me i cannot update unless i close firefox but that means our chat would close

Customer :

as i opened it with firefox browser

Customer :

ill log baack in in a sec

Customer :

im back

Customer :

so update is done

Customer :

so i did the switch identity and Main identity appeared in the box and i press ok

Mike Kane :

yes - sounds like it may have come back

Customer :

the same single welcome message is still in my box

Customer :

nothing else

Mike Kane :

Do you remember a system crash or other event that might have wiped out you old database? You can check the folder

Mike Kane :

its at your Home Directory/Documents/Microsoft User Data

Mike Kane :

open that folder and do a get info on the main identity folder.

Customer :

not at all, i had it on last night as always, then closed my computer before sleeping and when i turned it back on this morning all was gone.

Customer :

ok

Customer :

im in the main identity folder where do i go ti get info

Mike Kane :

Just open it and see whats inside

Customer :

found the get info tab

Mike Kane :

do you have a time machine back-up?

Customer :

23.2 MB on disk (23,163,862 bytes) for 6 items

Customer :

where:/Users/rfabecassis/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office 2008 Identities

Customer :

however if i do a view all in my HD i have two databases, one with 23.1MB the one in the Main ID. But i have another with 2.34GB also called database but that is not in my main ID

Mike Kane :

OK do a Get Info on the folder to see when it was created.

Mike Kane :

what is that one called?

Customer :

Sunday, September 13, 2009 10:59 AM

Mike Kane :

where is the db that has 2.34g?

Customer :

Microsoft Entourage database

Customer :

2.34 GB on disk (2,336,052,224 bytes)

Customer :

/Users/Shared/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office 2008 Identities/Main Identity

Mike Kane :

mmm - lets back up a bit.

Mike Kane :

Wen you navigate to Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office 2008 Identities - is there another folder other than Main Identity?

Customer :

oops hangon

Customer :

there are other docs but total size of all docs in Main Identity is 23.1MB + 15Kw +5Kw

Customer :

so the 2.34GB database must have displaced itself or something

Mike Kane :

Let me see if I understand clearly. In the Main Identities, there is a file called Database that is 23.1mb

Customer :

i suspect this 2.34 database are my emails

Customer :

correct

Mike Kane :

Where is the folder that has the other Database that is 2.34 Gb

Mike Kane :

and what else is in that folder?

Customer :

where:/Users/rfabecassis/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office 2008 Identities?

Customer :

sorrry sorry\

Customer :

its in:

Mike Kane :

and that folder is names Microsoft Entourage Database?

Customer :

Customer :

this is where the 2.34GB is

Customer :

both of them are microsoft entourage databases yes

Mike Kane :

OK - here is what to do.

Mike Kane :

Go into the Shared folder and click once on Microsoft User Data

Mike Kane :

Do a control-click to drop down the secondary menu

Mike Kane :

Click Copy

Customer :

im there

Customer :

question

Mike Kane :

Then navigate to the Documents/Microsoft User Data folder and click once to highlight it

Mike Kane :

Then control-click to drop down the menu and select Paste...

Mike Kane :

It will ask you if you want to replace the old one - click OK

Customer :

is the microsoft user data tab supposed to have the arrow poiting down so you see its content

Customer :

im asking because your colleague this morning asked me to do the same

Mike Kane :

After that, you should be able to open Microsoft User Data/Main Identity and do a get info on the Database to make sure it is now the big one

Customer :

but i had the arrow next to it closed and proceeded to copy

Mike Kane :

did it replace hte contents

Customer :

ok im about to copy where do i paste it to

Customer :

i right clicked and copied the microsoft uder data folder

Customer :

user data folder

Customer :

now what do i do

Mike Kane :

OK open it and gointo the Identities and check the size of the Database with Get Info

Customer :

its so strange it only has the 23.1MB

Mike Kane :

OK - let's try slightly different approach. 1) Is Entourage closed?

Customer :

yet the address i showed above says the 2.34gb is in main identity but its not

Mike Kane :

2. Open the Shared Folder that has Microsoft User Data in it that contaains your real database

Customer :

i see in the microsoft user data folder an office 2008 recovery file any use?

Customer :

ok

Mike Kane :

3. open the folder and click on Main Identity, then right click - Copy ...

Mike Kane :

4. Open the Microsoft User Data under Documents. Move the Main Identity folder to trash

Mike Kane :

5. Click back on the Microsoft User Data Folder - dont open - just highlight

Mike Kane :

6. Right Click - paste Main Identity

Customer :

when i try to open the database 2.34GB it doesnt open

Customer :

it allows me to copy

Customer :

shall i drag it somewhere

Mike Kane :

7. Check the Microsoft User Data Folder again for Main Identity (which should now be there from the paste)

Mike Kane :

Please follow my exact instructions which are numbered in sequence

Customer :

ok

Mike Kane :

8. Inside the Main Identity - do a get info on the Database

Customer :

mike can i backup cause im not managing to open

Customer :

to find the large database i typed in database in the HD search

Mike Kane :

What we are trying to do is replace the Main Identity Folder in Microsoft User Data with the same folder you found in the Shared....

Mike Kane :

If it is easier for you to open two wondows and drag that is OK

Customer :

yes but your asking me to open the database file (23.gb) and it wont open

Mike Kane :

I never asked you to open the ddatabase

Customer :

i can drag it to desktop

Customer :

ok then i misunderstood

Mike Kane :

I specifically said to copy the enclosing folder. Please review the steps in sequence

Customer :

i think my problem is to find the shared folder

Mike Kane :

It is in your home directory

Customer :

sorry but i dont see anything with home directory

Customer :

in my HD do i select applications or documents

Mike Kane :

Sorry one level up - /Users/Shared/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office 2008 Identities/Main Identity

Mike Kane :

Are you looking at the Finder Window in Column view? Much easier to navigate. It is the icon with 3 lines inside a box. Click on that and it will be easier to navigate.

Mike Kane :

You want to go to Macintosh HD/Users/Shared to find the good one.

Customer :

Ive gotten all the way to Main Identity but nothing changed because im trying to figure out the copy part of your message

Customer :

Main Identity still only has the 23.1MB database Im trying to figure out hoe to copy the large database into the Main Identity

Mike Kane :

right click on Main Identity and in the drop down choose "Cope Main Identity"

Mike Kane :

*Copy

Customer :

your assuning i have two main identity boxes i dont

Customer :

the large database is not in a main identity folder thats whats strang

Mike Kane :

I am confused - I thought you said that you found the database in the math /Users/Shared/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office 2008 Identities/Main Identity

Mike Kane :

In the path (sorry for bad typing)

Customer :

i can try to drag or copy the large database into the Main Identity where the other 23.1 database is

Mike Kane :

You will need all of the files in Main Identity for a perfect recovery

Customer :

Mike i think we are talking past each other

Customer :

I only have one Main Identity

Customer :

the large database is not in there and there is no second Main Identity box

Customer :

hangon hangon

Mike Kane :

In the earlier part of the conversation, I thought you said that you found a replicated Main Identity folder at /Users/Shared/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office 2008 Identities/Main Identity

Mike Kane :

Is that true?

Customer :

ok i copies the main identity box with the 2.34GB

Mike Kane :

Kool

Customer :

now shall i paste it into the other one

Mike Kane :

You can try launching Entourage now

Customer :

this is confusing how did it get there

Mike Kane :

Opps yes - I thought you had done that - after the paste you can run entourage - be sure you replace the old one

Customer :

ok so i paste it into the old one right

Customer :

ok its replacing

Mike Kane :

You paste the copied Main Identity Folder into Microsoft User Data in Documents completely replacing the old one

Customer :

yes

Customer :

your a genius!

Customer :

everything is back

Customer :

thank you thank you

Mike Kane :

That is great News! For the future, make sure you have a back-up of the Microsoft User Data Folder located in Documents that you can put somewhere safe in case you ever have to recover. Glad I could help. If that's it, please accept and positive feedback and a bonus are always appreciated. Thanks for using Just Answer!

Customer :

so i can back up my emails directly on my laptop

Customer :

do i just copy Microsoft User Data folder into another place in documents

Mike Kane :

Yes - the Microsoft User Data Folder in Documents is the King of the Data.

Customer :

thanks so much

Customer :

saved my life

Mike, Mac Maestro
Experience: Apple Consultants Network, Apple Certified