Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I just bought a new Mac Mini to replace my old mac mini. I

Customer Question

I just bought a new Mac Mini to replace my old mac mini. I have tried to transfer files from my old mini to new one, with a firewire cable. old mini is firewire 400 new is firewire 800, I bought a cable that has a 400 adaptor, but still won't transfer. help
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

Since you don't have a monitor attached to one of your Mac, you can't use direct transfer feature (Migration Assistant) because you need to setup two Macs at the same time. So you can try the Target Disk Mode. You need to startup your old Mac in Target Disk Mode after connecting the Firewire cable. Once you startup your old Mac in TDM, it's hard disk will appear in your Mac like an external hard drive or CD. Then you can just copy files from the hard drive to your new Mac. To startup your Mac in Target Disk Mode, please follow the instructions in here : http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1661

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
doesn't seem to work, I can hear the old mini start up but can't get the icon
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Did you hold down the T key while starting up the old Mac ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did , tried it twice in fact. The new mini is Snow Leopard, old one Tiger 10.4.11
when I hold down the T key it sounds like a drum
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
OS version doesn't matter. Can you try to startup your new Mac in Target Disk Mode ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
does that mean shutting it down, so both computers will be off, then holding down the T key and starting it up?
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Yes, let me know how it goes..
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay I got the firewire symbol when I did that but it just floated around the screen. Shut everything down and then started up to get to you.
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Connect the monitor and everything back to your old Mac. Then turn it on, now connect the Firewire cable on both Macs. Then startup your new Mac in Target Disk Mode. Does the new Mac's hard drive appears on your old Mac ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry for the delay, had to get wireless keyboard to pair.
Okay it is there so now what do I do?
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
So, does it appears on your old Mac ?

Edited by Ashik on 12/1/2010 at 7:24 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Great ! Now just copy and paste all the files you want, from old Mac's HD to your new Mac's HD. Once you finished transferring files, just eject the hard disk icon (drag it to trash) and turn off your Mac. Then just restart your new Mac.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
one last question, thank you very much Ashik, If I just grab a application (program like Microsoft Excel it will copy all the files from that software and transfer in new hard drive.
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
No..that won't work. Because there are many other files related to Excel, Word etc that need to be installed in the root folder of your Mac. So drag and drop method won't work. You have to install it on your new Mac with the discs. FYI, there are many free office applications available like NeoOffice and Open Office. You can use them for small office use.

NeoOffice : http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php
OpenOffice : http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/

Let me know if you have any questions..

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well it was mostly for my photos and music anyway.
I do have the disks anyway, thanks.
All this because I wanted to install Apple TV and my old Tiger OS system would not let me install Itunes 10 , so it was either buy Leopard software which may or may not have worked that well plus the old mini could crash any time, I have other uses for it anyway, or a new mini.
Okay as soon as you say okay I will accept your answer. All the best, XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
If your old Mac mini is running Intel Processor, then you can install Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard in it without any problems.

Merry Xmas to you too !!
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for Accepting my answer. If you have time, please leave a Positive Feedback to me : http://www.justanswer.com/feedback/leave-feedback.aspx

Best Regards,