Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

Hey help! I just ordered Mac OS X Snow Leopard for my Imac

Hey help! I just ordered Mac OS X Snow Leopard for my Imac and installed it but now it won't let me open my Aperture (I have Aperture 3) Keeps saying there may be a problem with OSX being compatible with the Aperture. I re-installed the Aperture 3 disc and called Apple and they said it ought to work.
It was working fine with my OX 5.8 Can you help? I'm a writer and photographer and I need to get at those photos...
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
Before you installed or upgraded did you repair the permissions?
This is an important step that gets left out. This PDF will explain how to do so and it may solve your problem.
I strongly recommend doing that, I also suggest doing a SafeBoot. This will run some UNIX routines that will go a long way towards solving issues of this nature.

To do a Safe Boot, restart and before the first chime press and hold the 'Shift' key.
Wait until you see the Apple logo and the spinning gear appear, then let go.
It can take as long as 20 minutes to load, so please be patient.
When the login screen appears it will say in red on the login window 'SafeBoot'.
Now login and give it a few more minutes to finish loading.
Try doing whatever it was it was giving you the problem. If it works then probably the problem is solved, so restart normally.
If the problem persists then restart normally also, other fixes will need to be done.
Try that and let me know, it may not be enough quite yet.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Daniel, thanks but this seems a bit above my technical skills. How will this permit Aperture to open? Do I need to repair permissions before I do a Safe Boot? I guess I'm a bit confused. I'm a writer and photographer, not good at technical stuff.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
That's okay, we all have our strengths and weaknesses.
Repairing the permissions is explained this way.

Think of your computer as a set of file cabinets in an office with a private file cabinet for each employee, call them Chris and Sue.

Each employee's cabinet is locked, unless they grant specific access to drawers inside the cabinet. Each persons private cabinet has a public outbox where anyone can see what is inside but can not put any thing in, a public inbox where anyone can put files, and an open 'shared' place where files that can be used by all.

There are three categories of users for each cabinet:

1- The owner.

2- Group members and guests who have access to one or more drawers inside the cabinet.

3- Others who have access to the in and out boxes but no access to the owners drawers.

You use these categories to define Read and Write, Read only, or no access.

Repairing permissions makes sure that the correct people and applications have the correct access to the cabinets.

If these get changed (software updates do do this) or corrupted then things go where they are not supposed to and it can mean applications won't launch or run or not preform correctly.

This is especially true with system updates because if the update info goes to the wrong place it can lead to a total system crash.

This holds true even if you are the only user.

I suggest repairing the permissions and then doing the safe boot. You may probably want to bookmark this so that it is easy to return to.

Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX think I get it. but could you please just walk me through repairing permissions again. I couldn't quite follow the first one..Going into disc utilities is fairly unnerving for me, and then I won't bother you again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Once I open disc utilities, it will prompt me? I'm not sure what I do when I get there..
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Were there not images included in the PDF? But just to clarify here is one that will show you.
graphic
Do not bother with verifying, just run the repair.