Steve
Steve, Mac Help Specialist
Experience:  Support and training for Mac users since 1991.
35684427

I have Microsoft Word 2004. A document I am creating by cutting

Customer Question

I have Microsoft Word 2004. A document I am creating by cutting and pasting comments from my safari email is stuck. I can not work with it. I can open it, but it has that
multicolored circling ball... I have to force quit to leave the stuck document.
I was able to cut and paste for quite a while, then it got stuck.

I can open a new doc. so the word program itself works.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.

Steve :

Hi, I'm here to help with your Mac questions. I'm willing to keep working until you are satisfied.

Steve :

I'm afraid what you describe means that the document itself has become corrupted. There is no real fix for that.

Steve :

There are a couple things you can try...

Steve :

One is to make a copy by dragging in the Finder. Find the document, hold down the Option key, and click-hold-drag the file to create a copy. Try opening it.

Steve :

A second idea is to try opening it with a different program. OpenOffice can be downloaded for free and is a good substitute for Microsoft Office. You can get it at OpenOffice.org. Get it installed, and use the File Menu > Open command to try and open the problem document.

Steve :

Also, and perhaps first, do you have a backup program running? Time Machine? If so, see if you have an earlier version in the backup.

Customer :

Wow, thank you for this answer. I did try to make a copy by dragging to a new folder.But I did not use the Option key.

Customer :

I am not sure my thank you came thru. I did try dragging the file into a new folder. It did not work.

Customer :

Oops I see I can not hit return. I did try making copy. I doubt that I have a back up program running. I could down load Open Office. I bet the file is corrupt for some reason. thank you, Susan.

Steve :

Try OpenOffice and if you have Apple's iWork, try Pages as well.

Customer :

I have neither of these. Tried again to move the doc, copying to a new page

Customer :

in word, but got the spinning colored ball again.

Customer :

Think the doc. is corrupt, as you suggested, Steve.

Steve :

OpenOffice is free, so it is worth downloading and installing it and giving it a try. http://openoffice.org

Steve :

Just checking in. Did you try OpenOffice yet?