Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I have an older iphoto app version6 running on os 10.4. How

Customer Question

I have an older iphoto app version6 running on os 10.4. How can I secure delete photos from iphoto?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

Do you want to delete your entire iPhoto library ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, just selected individual photos.
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
  1. Select the Photos you want to delete
  2. Hold down Command and Option, then press Delete.
  3. This should delete the photo from your Album and also from iPhoto Library.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I know this. But is this equivalent to secure delete? I think your method allows file recovery software to recover a photo deleted in the manner you suggest whereas a "secure delete" does not. In Finder, there are two options for file deletion: #1 Empty Trash #2 Secure Empty Trash. Option #1 allows for file recovery with readily available file recovery software but Option #2 overwrites the file and prevents such recovery. So, I am looking for the Option #2 equivalent for iphoto. Your answer should also assure that any thumbnails or any other data associated with the photo to be deleted are also deleted.

As you know, this question is widely posted in discussion forums but I have been unable to find an answer, so I turn to you and am willing to pay for an answer if you can provide a satisfactory one.
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Oh..i got it. You want to delete it permanently from your Mac. I thought you want to delete it securely from iPhoto. Okay, delete the photo by Command + Option + delete, then goto Macintosh HD/Users/[your name]/Pictures/iPhoto Library. Then right click on it and choose "Show Package Contents". You can see a folder named "Originals", "Modified" etc and check there and see if the photo is deleted. If it is, then you can erase the free space. If you erase the free space with Disk Utility, you will not be able to recover the photos with any recovery softwares, learn more : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3680

Follow the instructions in here to erase the free space: http://www.ehow.com/how_2310314_securely-erase-free-space-mac-hard-drive.html

That should work ! Once you delete and erase the free space, there is no way to recover the photos (equivalent to Secure Delete)

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I cannot right click with the mac mouse. What if the photo is not deleted in the "Originals" and "Modified" folders? I deleted a photo in iphoto as you suggested but the photo is still in the "Originals" folder, and can be opened in Preview. I could move the file to the finder trash and secure deleted it, but messing with files in the iphoto library outside of the iphoto interface risks messing up the whole library. Besides, even if I did that, thumbnails and other smaller files of the photo kept by iphoto are still on hard drive.

I have to break until later today, but want to continue trying to find an answer.
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Trash the photos from Originals folder, then secure empty trash. Trashing from originals won't mess your library. They are just backups...

After that, rebuild your iPhoto Library and that should clear the thumbnails : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2042?viewlocale=en_US
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Problems with answer quality, accuracy, completeness. My final response would have been: Ashik, thanks for trying to answer but I cannot accept your answer..

Using the disk utility (set for the fastest, lowest level of security) takes more than an hour! The secure empty trash option in Finder takes only few seconds to delete a several megabyte file. Are you saying I should accept that that the process of secure deleting a picture from iphoto will take more than hour!

Also, iphoto technical support says "Don't change anything in the iPhoto Library Folder via the Finder or any other application. iPhoto depends on the structure as well as the contents of this folder. Moving things, renaming things or otherwise making changes will prevent iPhoto from working and could even cause you to damage or lose your photos." ( http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=12300220�)

Also, the "Originals" are originals, not just "back ups". If they are just backups, where are the "real originals?"

Finally, what happens to the thumbnails when a library rebuild occurs? Are you saying the thumbnails are securely deleted via the rebuild process? .
Problems with answer quality, accuracy, completeness. My final response would have been: Ashik, thanks for trying to answer but I cannot accept your answer..

Finally, what happens to the thumbnails when a library rebuild occurs? Are you saying the thumbnails are securely deleted via the rebuild process?
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for the delay..i didn't got your reply until now. Disk Utility will erase all the free space in your HD, so that'd take time. The Originals are backups, i.e if you import photos to iPhoto, iPhoto will put the originals in Originals folder and put modified photos in Modified folder. The 'real originals' are in the location where your imported the photos from, like camera, hard disk, cd etc

I've deleted many photos from iPhoto using that method and it worked without any problem for me. You can try that too, but before doing that backup your iPhoto Library to an external drive or cd drive.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I cannot accept your solution for securely deleting iphoto picture content. As I have stated before, the reasons for this are as follows:

1) Your solution involves outside-of-iphoto-interface manipulation of files that are contained in the iphoto library. But doing this risks disruption to the entire library according to both Apple and Apple discussion forums. Therefore this is not an acceptable solution.

2) Your solution incorrectly identifies "originals" in the iphoto library as "backups" simply because iphoto imports files from another source. Of course, if the source no longer has the originals that were imported, I guess that makes the originals in the iphoto originals folder the only copies in existence and tampering with this folder outside the iphoto program interface puts those originals at risk.

3) Your solution involves using the disk utility to erase hard disk white space. This is an incredibly time consuming process to go through every time a few photos are deleted even if it was safe to delete files directly from the iphoto originals folder.

4) Finally, you do not assure that files associated with the picture files to be deleted, such as thumbnails, are also securely deleted.

Thanks for trying, but the answer is not satisfactory. I cannot authorize payment it.