Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

i downloaded marvin sketch and everything on my desktop was

Customer Question

i downloaded marvin sketch and everything on my desktop was erased how do i get it back?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.

Mike the MacMedic :

First let‘s check some things:

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac, and tell me the System Version, the Processor and the Memory.

Then go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK let me know.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
system version:10.6.4
processor: 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
memory: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

verify disk is ok and repair permissions were completed.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
OK now can you clarify what you mean by everything on my desktop was erased? All the files are gone? Have you restarted since?
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Still need help?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes, everything was erased-once i downloaded marvin sketch, all the folders and files on my desktop were erased and i lost many important things. i had some backed up on an external hard drive, but not most recent ones.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
It is very improbable that an install did that especially since your drive is OK. Go to Macintosh HD/Users/yourusername/Desktop. Are there any files there?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no, only files that i have re-uploaded to my computer are there. nothing is there from before i lost everything.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Please go to System Preferences/Accounts is there more than one account listed?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
just my account and "guest account"
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Do you know the names of any of the missing files? Can you do a search?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i tried doing a search for files the night this happened and couldn't find anything
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Well in that case something very drastic happened and I would erase the drive and reinstall your system. There is nothing left to lose, right?