iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience:  Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing
28671728

My mac desktop is about 4 years old and there has been a thin

My mac desktop is about 4 years old and there has been a thin greenish/blue vertical line on the screen for the past 3 days-sometimes it disappears. Do you know what it is?
Category: Mac
Expert:  iteachmac replied 3 years ago.

iteachmac : Hi , the LCD display has a fault . Please what mac , size and spec is the mac?
iteachmac : Thanks.
Customer :

Mac OS X Version 10.4.10

Customer :

Do you need any other info?

Customer :

I'm going offline and will check back in in the morning.

iteachmac :

hi yes screen size diagonal in inches 15inch ? , mac type , imac ? or mac pro with separate screen ? please use about this mac from the apple menu to show the info of cpu speed and type . .

iteachmac :

Thanks.

iteachmac :

The issue maybe a faulty display or the connector for it . I can research for you once I have all the info .

Customer :

Hi! I'm not quite sure what info you need, but here's some of it:

Customer :

Display Type: LCD

Customer :

Resolution: 1440 x 900

Customer :

Depth: 32-bit color

Customer :

Buillt-in: yes

Customer :

Core Image: Supported

Customer :

Main Display: Yes

iteachmac :

Hi ,

Customer :

Mirror: Off

Customer :

Online: Yes

iteachmac :

Hi what is the Mac imac ? mac pro ?

Customer :

Quartz Extreme: supported

iteachmac :

What size is the screen in inches ? how big ?

iteachmac :

physically ?

iteachmac :

Is the computer an Imac ? an all in one computer with the screen built in ?

Customer :

MOdel: iMac

iteachmac :

Ok imac ,

Customer :

Model Identifier: iMac4,1

iteachmac :

How big is the screen .?

Customer :

Processor speed 1.83 GHz

Customer :

It is a all-in-one unit.

iteachmac :

ok do you have a webcam ?

iteachmac :

built in cam?

Customer :

I just measured it from lower left corner to upper right corner and the actual display screen was 16 1/2 inches diagonally.

iteachmac :

is it 17 or 20 inch ?

iteachmac :

17 i think .

Customer :

Not sure where to find the cpu speed

Customer :

Yes, it has a webcam

Customer :

Hi

iteachmac :

ok I know the model now .

iteachmac :

Thanks.

iteachmac :

I will try to get some info .

Customer :

Thank you!

Customer :

Please send me an e-mail when you get back. I'm going offline now.

iteachmac :

Ok, you can use a external display with the mac , via the Mini DVI port , you would need a Mini DVD to DVI or mini DVI to VGA lead for use with most standard PC displays . Just in case the screen does fail , this may help you . more info to come .

iteachmac :

Please read this link .

iteachmac :

Your screen it seems has a common issue .

iteachmac :

The lines should not affect the Mac , but the screen may fail at some point ..

iteachmac :

Did you have the Mac with a 3 year guarantee or apple care , if so you may get a repair for free . Some users have reported the Screen was repaired out of warranty . So calling apple and reporting the problem will be advised as a first step to make .

iteachmac :

You may have some luck in your request to apple to repair the screen .

iteachmac :

You can email or phone apple support for help , they may be able to give you assistance.

http://www.apple.com/contact/

iteachmac :

Please make a call and log the fault also . there are many other users of the same imac with similar issues . email the link of the website etc .

Customer :

Thanks a bunch! Our biggest concern was that it would affect the Mac.

iteachmac :

and your talk here with me .

iteachmac :

I hope they can cover the cost of a repair , it depends on your warranty etc .

iteachmac :

Hi, no it should be ok , But please report the issue .

Customer :

We're going to look into this further. Do you see this as an immediate concern or can it wait a few weeks or even a few months? In other words, how fast should we look into getting this repaired so the screen doesn't fail?

iteachmac :

Sometime they can make repairs for free , if a recall has been logged on a product . .

iteachmac :

You may just have to inform them of the issue .

iteachmac :

I hope this helps .

iteachmac :

Thanks.

iteachmac :

Please press accept on the answers if you are happy .

iteachmac :

I would log the fault right now , you can arrange repairs at a later date .

Customer :

Yes, this is helpful. Thank you and goodbye!

iteachmac :

Good luck :)

iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience: Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing