Nick M
Nick M, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  7 years experience at a Mac-based school, 600+ workstations
27238994

I am not receiving my mail, my gmail icon just keeps spinning

I am not receiving my mail, my gmail icon just keeps spinning as if it is loading mail, but I don't see anything.

Nick M :

Greetings. Sometimes web browsers get stuck, and the easiest way to fix that is to empty the cache. To do this, go to the Safari menu at the top left of the screen and choose "Empty Cache." Then, quit Safari, and open it up again, and try accessing your Gmail account again.

JACUSTOMER-8jimszkt- :

I will try that. Thanks

Nick M :

Let me know if that works.

JACUSTOMER-8jimszkt- :

ok

Nick M :

Did that work?

Nick M :

Greetings

JACUSTOMER-8jimszkt- :

That didn't work. The icon is still spinning.

Nick M :

When you say "icon," are you referring to the little spinner next to the word "loading" in the address bar?

JACUSTOMER-8jimszkt- :

The little spinner next to my gmail box in my inbox

JACUSTOMER-8jimszkt- :

This usually only spins with incoming mail. I sent myself an e-mail using another account and I received it when I opened my gmail account in google but not with my mail icon on my mac

Nick M :

I'm having trouble seeing what you are seeing. I'm looking at Gmail on Safari and I don't see any kind of spinner. Can you possibly take a screenshot?

Nick M :

Wait, now I'm confused - where do you see the problem, in the Mail program or in your web browser on Gmail?

JACUSTOMER-8jimszkt- :

In the mail program

Nick M :

Did you receive my last question?

Nick M :

Sorry, gotcha. Mail program.

Nick M :

I thought you meant gmail on the browser. Are you able to quit Mail without any delays?

Nick M :

And have you received all mail in your inbox that you anticipated?

JACUSTOMER-8jimszkt- :

No problem quitting mail but an e-mail I sent to myself about 20 minutes ago has not been received. When I quit then restart the spinner is still spinning.

Nick M :

WHat does the Progress window say?

JACUSTOMER-8jimszkt- :

I'm not sure what the progress window is but when I click on mailbox then get new mail, gmail is not hightlighted

Nick M :

In the Window menu, there should be an item that says either "Progress" or "Activity," which should tell you what Mail is trying to do. It may be that there is a message that is 'stuck.'

JACUSTOMER-8jimszkt- :

In activity, the area that says gmail, communicating with server seems to be continuously working?

JACUSTOMER-8jimszkt- :

Maybe stuck?

Nick M :

Have you been able to access your Gmail account via Mail in the past?

JACUSTOMER-8jimszkt- :

Always

JACUSTOMER-8jimszkt- :

Until today

Nick M :

Can you cancel the activity? Perhaps you can cancel the job and then try it again.

Nick M :

Actually, here's a hunch - did you receive an email with an attachment recently?

JACUSTOMER-8jimszkt- :

I tried to sent an e-mail with a picture attachment earlier today that was not successful

Nick M :

That is what is causing the blockage. THe attachment is most likely too large and is stuck

JACUSTOMER-8jimszkt- :

How do i unstick it?

Nick M :

Just to verify, you are using Apple Mail to access Gmail through IMAP, right? Does that mean anything to you?

JACUSTOMER-8jimszkt- :

Yes I am using Apple Mail to access Gmail but I don't know what IMAP is.

JACUSTOMER-8jimszkt- :

I am receiving mail from my other account also through Apple Mail with no trouble

Nick M :

Okay, let's play a hunch. Does the email you're waiting for show up in your web Gmail, but not in Apple Mail?

Nick M :

The one with the attached picture

Nick M :

Try deleting that email in Gmail on the web, and then open Apple Mail. Does it stop getting stuck?

JACUSTOMER-8jimszkt- :

The e-mail I tried to send earlier is gone (somewhere) and I have a new e-mail showing up on my web account but my apple mail is still spinning.

Nick M :

Okay, here's an idea. Quit Apple Mail. Then, open up the Finder and go to your home folder. Open the Library folder, then the Mail folder, and drag the folder with your gmail account out onto your desktop. Then, open Apple Mail again, and it should redownload your Gmail account properly.

Nick M :

This process may take some time, so I'm going to switch to Q&A mode instead of live chat. I will keep an eye on this so that if you respond, I'll answer within the hour.

JACUSTOMER-8jimszkt- :

ok