Danh
Danh, Systems Administrator
Experience:  9 Years in System Administration
31918883

i cant get gmail on the IPAD to fetch email from the server

i can't get gmail on the IPAD to fetch email from the server with the old email account.
Can I still use reference #(NNN) NNN-NNNN from earlier today?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Danh replied 3 years ago.
Are you trying to fetch mail with gmail or comcast?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm trying to fetch mail from comcast using gmail on the ipad. Works great on my PC.
Expert:  Danh replied 3 years ago.

ok...so can you get to the email settings on the ipad....go ahead and delete the existing gmail account...I'll walk you through setting it up.

let me know once you're ready to recreate the gmail account.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
account on ipad is deleted. ready to add new one.
Expert:  Danh replied 3 years ago.

ok...so let's do add account

choose gmail

enter your gmail information

then click save

let me know what happens afte that

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
which address & password XXXXX i using? keep getting error msg: "the user name or password XXXXX 'imap.gmail.com' is incorrect."
Expert:  Danh replied 3 years ago.

Use your gmail email address and password XXXXX the username is XXXXX XXXXX gmail account.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok. it took it but said that the account may not be able to send or rcv.
Expert:  Danh replied 3 years ago.

no...it should take...go ahead and log into gmail via a web browser to confirm your username and password XXXXX ok.

http://www.gmail.com

Once that is confirmed ... go back and delete the gmail account and start it again. It should work from the beginning.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
now i'm back to getting the error msg: "Cannot Get Mail: the user name or password XXXXX 'imap.gmail.com' is incorrect."
Expert:  Danh replied 3 years ago.

Did you try to log into gmail from a web browser to confirm that the username and password XXXXX correct?

Let's focus on that first before proceeding on the ipad.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, logged in twice, but on safari on the ipad. When i go to gmail.com on my pc it sends me to a login using the google account name and password.
Expert:  Danh replied 3 years ago.

ok...so you're able to log into the gmail account via the website.

So when you're entering the information on the email setup, are you using just the username or the full email address with @gmail.com?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
XXX@XXXXXX.XXX XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
password XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Expert:  Danh replied 3 years ago.

The system doesn't allow me to see any email address you type in. So I'm assuming you're entering the full gmail address.

Let try it again ..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Now I'm back to "New Account This account may not be able of send or receive emails. Are you sure you want to save?"
Expert:  Danh replied 3 years ago.

Yes...go ahead and save

Then go into the mail settings for that account.

confirm that the address shows correctly.

then tell me what shows for smtp

then click advanced

tell me what you have for Use SSL and the Sever port

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
smtp.gmail.com (on)

Use SSL is ON

Server Port = 993
Expert:  Danh replied 3 years ago.

that's absolutely correct.

try to check mail on it and see what message it gives.

Expert:  Danh replied 3 years ago.

awe...I forgot to have you check something.

Log into gmail again from a web browser ... click under settings in the upper right

click under forwarding and pop/imap

Go down to imap access

Is it enabled or disabled?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
all mail is on ipad. sent test msg to my acct & got it. replied (to gmail) and it got back. Doesn't appear to be pulling messages from the comcast account.
Expert:  Danh replied 3 years ago.

When you sent the test email...did you send it to comcast or gmail?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i sent one from the ipad gmail acct to another gmail acct on my pc, then back again; all that is good.

sent a 2nd one from my pc acct to the comcast acct. It arrived at the comcast acct but the ipad gmail doesn't see it.
Expert:  Danh replied 3 years ago.

ok...I see...you need to set something up under gmail

on a browser on your PC ... goto www.gmail.com

Log in

click under settings

click in the upper right

click under accounts and import

what do you have under check mail using pop3

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i have that on the pc implementation. on the ipad under settings it has only "Accounts" and now reference to POP3/Imports underneath.
Expert:  Danh replied 3 years ago.
You don't need to do anything special on the Ipad ... it's all done through gmail. Can you do it on the pc? I have the exact same setup as you and it works for me. I just need to make sure it's all setup properly in gmail.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
let me rephrase a bit:
i have that on the pc implementation. in gmail (on the ipad) under settings (for gmail) it has only "Accounts" and no reference to POP3/Imports underneath.
Expert:  Danh replied 3 years ago.
sorry...I think I'm confusing you. We're through with setting up the ipad for now. I need for you to check the gmail settings on a pc in a web browser
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That was it. the pop3 account must have been dropped when the gmail acct was re-setup over the weekend. Brilliant! thanks.
Expert:  Danh replied 3 years ago.
Yup...that's what I suspected. If you're satisfied with my Answers, please click ACCEPT.
Danh, Systems Administrator
Experience: 9 Years in System Administration