Omer Mushahwar
Omer Mushahwar, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  I work with Mac Computers and Servers on a daily basis

i am getting error code17199 in outlook while trying to sync,

i am getting error code 17199 in outlook while trying to sync, which does not work. I am using a Mac Book Pro 13 inch, MS Office 2011, connected to an Exchange 2007 server. i can see via Norton Firewall that I am connected, but when I try to send mail, or sync, I get the above listed error.
HI I am one of the experts here on Just

When you say you get this error code while syncing, do you mean the syncing to first setup the account or has the account worked without this error and the message just started?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Syncing to first set up the account. Brand new computer/software package. Also, I have verified, via using Web Mail, that my Exchange user name and pass word are correct, I can get in to my Outlook account as usual.
Ok just so I understand the layout of your network

Is your computer on the same local network as the exchange server or is it connecting to a remote exchange server?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Remote exchange server. The Ipad I am communicating to you on communicates with the same server with no issues.
Hi I am sorry for delayed response.

Now with the Ipad I assume you are using the exchange account. Now the exchange account built in setup uses different connection port as outlook would, as the ipad or an iphone connect to an exchange server with the same principle ports that active sync uses,

Now lets go back to your error 17199 now usually on the MAC you get this error when the name isnt in exactly right format, now when you say you are connected remotely, do you vpn in to your network first and then use outlook or do you simply connect through the internet?

It could be that either in your account settings your name isnt your full domain name like using username instead of domain\username [email protected] go through the settings and try some of the other options for username maybe they will result in your connection kicking in.

Also I see you are using nortons firewall? Have you tried disabling the firewall to see if by chance it is blocking a port and causing the 17199 error you are receiving?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am connecting via the internet, no VPN required. I have disabled the Norton Firewall, still no luck. You have done excellent work in trying to debug this issue, I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX efforts. I believe this is either on my Exchange host/providers end, a naming convention issue or some weird issues with Outlook 2011. I talked to a friend with an older Mac, running the same OS as I am, NO Norton installed, and he gets the same error message. I will work with my provider tomorrow to try to debug this. Do you want me to email you (If so, please provide me your address) with the solution? You may arrive at it overnight, but if not, I thought it may help you with future inquires.

If you are going straight over the internet it could be a port issue or an authentication issue with the exchange server. Also when going over the internet you want to make sure to use the fully qualified exchange server domain name for example or in some cases for direct outlook to exchange access through the internet there will be a special connection name such as where is your company name.The provider should be able to provide you with the specifics needed to clear out this error.

Unfortunately we cannot provide direct email addresses but you can always post back to this question and I can see the response.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Omer, Turns out that Office 2011 for Mac requires MS Exchange Server 2007 or 2010. Of course, my service provider is using MS Exchange 2003...FYI: MS Office 2008 for Mac will run on MS Exchange 2003. Thank you again for all of your help.

Glad I could help.

Sorry about that my next thought if it wasn't a configuration issue would have been an exchange server version issue.