Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

My HP Photosmart C4480 all in one printer has been printing

Customer Question

My HP Photosmart C4480 all in one printer has been printing about every other line only. I attempted to correct the problem according to HP's help site's instructions, removing multiple MAC folders and re-installing whatever they told me to install afterwards, but the problem persists. What can I do?

I need to leave the computer now and will not return until tomorrow (Friday 11/5) a.m. PST.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
10.4.11
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
We can try to reset the printer and see if that helps or not..
  1. In the Finder, choose Utilities from the Go menu.
  2. Open Printer Setup Utility.
  3. From the Printer Setup Utility menu, choose Reset Printing System.
  4. Click Reset.
  5. Now, try to print.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
After choosing to reset, I assumed I needed to re-add the printer to the printer list, so I did that and then attempted to print a word document. Now it didn't print at all, and showed no jobs in the printing queue.
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Yes, resetting the printer will remove the printers from the list. So reset it again, goto System Preferences > Print and Fax. Then add the printer, restart your Mac and try to print. Let me know if that didn't worked...
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If I restart the Mac I'll lose this page and contact with you. How do I get back here to communicate after that?
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Just add a bookmark of this page or add it to your favorites. So you can come back here at any time.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ashik,
After restarting the computer it still fails to print at all. This is less output than I got before. There is clearly a communication problem between the computer and the printer. (And yes, the cable is plugged into both.)
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Do you have another USB Cable to try ?

You can also download and install the latest Softwares and Drivers from here : http://alturl.com/4ew5c
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Installed the latest software and still no printing. I can't imagine it's the USB cable (and I don't have another one) because it WAS printing, just consistently skipping every other line or so of material. Now, since following all the steps above, I choose print, see the print icon in the dock for a moment and then it disappears with nothing printing and no jobs waiting.
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Is there any way to get another USB cable to try ?

I have seen many problems like this and the problem is with the USB Cable. If the printer cannot properly communicate with Mac, you'll have problem with printing.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There isn't one here anywhere. I could find one at home and bring it in tomorrow, but not until then. Is there anything else to try in the meantime?
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Yes, try to update the Printer software by going to link i mentioned above. Also you can do a hard reset on your Printer : http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=uk&docname=c00035736

And only Accept after we solved the problem...

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks Ashik. I did update the printer software, above. I'll try a hard reset now.
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Good Luck !
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The hard reset did not change anything. I also successfully and perfectly color copied a page on the printer, suggesting that it, by itself, is functioning fine. Although I'm happy to bring in another USB cable and try that tomorrow, I am confused by the fact that I was getting documents to print imperfectly before we began this process today, and since resetting the printer on the Mac I get no printing whatsoever. Why would that be?
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Well, i don't have answer for that. But resetting the printer from your Mac won't hurt your Printer. It just delete all bad configurations file and create a fresh one. Try with a new USB Cable, i hope it'll work. Good Luck !
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks Ashik. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
You're welcome ! And have a great day !
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ashik,
Are you there? I tried a new USB cable and got no printing still (as opposed to the partial printing I had when we first started this). I also brought an HP Photosmart 3180 All in One printer from home and attached it to try to tease apart a printer from computer issues. That printer attempted to print my word document right away, but ended up printing pages of code instead of the one page document. Help!
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Sorry for the delay..Goto System Preferences > Accounts, In Accounts create a sample administrator account by clicking the + button. Then logout from Apple menu and login to the new account. Now try to print from that account.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I got the same ding to register that I had selected "Print", the picture of the printer showed up on the dock, no printing occurred, and when I clicked on the printer in the dock it showed no print jobs pending.
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Now i can think of only one option..reinstall your Mac OS X. You can do a Archive and Install. Archive and Install will not remove any of your files,applications, settings etc. It just replaces the system files with new one.

Archive and Install : Read More

I hope that should fix the problem..

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Wow. OK. I'll try.
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Good Luck !
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ashik,
I appreciate your attempts to help but I'm going to have to get someone to physically work with the computer and printer at this point.
Alison
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Okay...Alison. Good Luck !