Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I am having trouble with the cursor. When I point to something

I am having trouble with the cursor. When I point to something it turns into color wheel and spirals awhile before I can set on the the object. Sometimes I have to restart to get going again.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.
What you need is some simple maintenance.
You need to start with repairing the permissions, depending upon which version of your operating system you have determines how long it will take. 10.5 will take much longer than 10.6.
Repairing Permissions This PDF will explain how to do the permissions.

After that I wanted to do a safe boot, this runs UNIX repair routines on your hard drive and will help a lot with the spinning beach ball.

To do a Safe Boot, restart and before the first chime press and hold the 'Shift' key.
Wait until you see the Apple logo and the spinning gear appear, then let go.
It can take as long as 20 minutes to load, so please be patient.
When the login screen appears it will say in red on the login window 'SafeBoot'.
Now login and give it a few more minutes to finish loading.
Try doing whatever it was it was giving you the problem. If it works then probably the problem is solved, so restart normally.
If the problem persists then restart normally also, other fixes will need to be done.

And last but not least is the pram reset, this helps a lot also.

To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys.
‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P'.
Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes, this is the sound that it makes when it starts up.
If you have a wireless keyboard then the procedure is a little bit different.
Use the very same keys but wait until the first chime and immediately press and hold those keys. I recommend getting your fingers ready because timing is critical.
This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.
This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.
Let me know.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it stopped the beachball a little but now the speed seems to have slowed down I am paying for turbo charge wireless on cable.
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
If you did all of those things above and you are still seeing the beach ball then you better back up your important data. Your hard drive is getting ready to fail and you will lose what you have.
Then I suggest taking it to Apple and see if they concur with my diagnosis.
They will also give you a price to repair that is fair and fast.