Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I need to bring my old Safari bookmarks (all 1,6756 of them)

Customer Question

I need to bring my old Safari bookmarks (all 1,6756 of them) from my iMac (running OS 10.5.8) to my MacBook Pro (10.6.4), but I can't find any file named bookmarks.plist. While I have all the old bookmarks in a folder called "Bookmarks", there seems to be nothing I can do to import them using "Import Bookmarks". I have even tried importing them into Firefox (so I could subsequently import them into Safari) but this doesn't work either--I can't get them to show up highlighted as being importable. I am using Safari 5.0.2 for the Mac on both computers. Any ideas?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

There should be a file named Bookmarks.plist. Go into your hard disk, Macintosh HD > Users > your username > Library folder and you can see the Safari folder in there. Open the folder "Safari" and you can see the file Bookmarks.plist

Copy it and paste it to the same location on your new Mac. That should do it..

Let me know if that didn't worked...

Best Regards,

Edited by Ashik on 11/3/2010 at 3:37 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ashik, thanks for the quick reply, but the problem is that I've been looking for that very file--the older version of bookmarks.plist--for hours and can't find it anywhere. I did find a "Bookmarks" folder with all 1,675 of my old bookmarks (which I could open one at a time and then bookmark again in Safari, which would literally take days to do) but I cannot get the "Import Bookmarks" function to recognize them. Any other thoughts? Thanks, Joel
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
I think Import Bookmarks only recognize the plist file. So copy the bookmarks folder to your new Mac. Open the bookmark manager in Safari, select all your bookmarks and can you drag all the bookmarks into the Bookmark manager ? Let me know how it goes...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ashik, I have also previously looked in vain for a "Bookmark Manager" (on both computers) or anything sounding even close to this. Is it possible that I don't have it and need to download from somewhere else. Joel
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
What version of Safari are you using on your old Mac ? Click on Safari menu and select About Safari.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Safari 5.0.2 on both Macs. Bookmarks may have been created under 4.x.x version.
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
All Safari 3.x and later versions would create a plist file to store the bookmark. You can search that file with Spotlight. Spotlight is the search box on the top right corner of your screen. Let me know..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, Ashik. No luck in finding any plist file other than the newest one containing no bookmarks. I think I should just accept the fact that I'm going to have to open each of the 1,675 bookmarks from the old Bookmark folder one at a time and then save the ones I want as a new bookmark in Safari, discarding the ones I don't need anymore. But, I'm sure I will have other Mac questions in the next few days, so how do I make sure to get you? Joel
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for the delay...There is another way,

Click on the 'Bookmarks' menu in Safari and choose 'Show All Bookmarks' from the pull down menu. Click on File menu and select "Export Bookmark". Then export the bookmark and you'll get a .html file. Now move that html file to your new Mac and open same "Show All Bookmarks" in your new Mac. Then click on File menu and select Import and select the html file. This should import all your bookmarks, but in a Single file. Let me know...

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ashik, it's actually a bit more complicated than that. The old bookmarks are not resident on the Safari program on the old Mac either. This whole problem started when I reinstalled the system on my old Mac because it was starting to make funny hard drive noises and not find the system to start-up. At first, I simply started it in Target mode to my new MacBook Pro (connected via Firewire 800 cable) and tried to transfer OS X (10.6.4) to the iMac. While the iMac would start up in Target mode to and from the MacBook Pro, it would not boot up from 10.6.4 on its own (even though it has an 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM). The Apple logo would come on and then the screen of death would occur. So, I took my original OS X install disk and reinstalled OS 10.5.2 (the old system was placed in a Previous System folder). Then I used Software Update to go to 10.5.8 as I had been using before this whole problem occurred. I didn't realize that all my bookmarks, saved email, passwords, etc. would be removed when I reinstalled the system. Now, while the iMac seems to be otherwise working on OS 10.5.8 (booting up O.K. and not making the terrible noises) I am having a heck of a time getting all of these things back to my current system. After several hours, I managed to find and transfer all my email accounts and folders, but I was not as lucky with my bookmarks. I could not find the old bookmarks.plist or any bookmarks manager on either computer--just the new one with the few new bookmarks I had on the MacBook Pro. Again, while I am unable to Import the old bookmarks, I can transfer them one at a time to the bookmarks bar in Show All Bookmarks mode. I'm sorry this is so complicated, and feel that you gave it your best shot but that I still have my problem. However, since I now have agreed to use the service for a month, I would gladly ask for your help in fixing other problems, such as getting the iMac running on OS 10.6.4 (I typically use one computer--desktop or laptop--at a time, but would prefer to be running the same system on both).
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Okay...You can try this. In Safari, Open 'Show All Bookmarks', then drag the whole folder to bookmarks window. Remember to drag the whole folder, not single bookmark. Does that worked ?

Also, to transfer the files from old Mac to new one, you can use Migration Assistant. That is the best way to transfer files + your settings : http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3322

(Since you have a subscription plan, don't forget to Accept this answer if its helpful to you. You won't get charged additionally)

Best Regards,

Edited by Ashik on 11/3/2010 at 5:45 PM EST
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Nope. Tried that numerous times. Can drag one website address at a time into a new bookmarks folder and can also replace new Bookmarks folder under Home/Library/Caches/Metadata/Safari/Bookmarks but even after I place the unwanted Bookmarks folder in the trash and empty it, it keeps coming back and the only bookmarks I can see are the newer unwanted ones. When I try to import the bookmarks from the old Bookmarks folder, I get a message saying "Could not import bookmarks" and "Safari can't read any bookmarks from 'Bookmarks.html'."
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Well, i just tried on my Mac and i can add multiple bookmarks at a time. I'll try to find a way and let you know. Please give me some time...
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Did you import all the bookmarks to Firefox ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tried several times to import them to Firefox but it did not work. When I told Firefox to import them from Safari, it said it did this, but there were no new bookmarks in Firefox.
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
I don't know why its not working, i'll opt out and open this question to other experts. If they have any idea, they'll get back to you.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Although I am satisfied with my Expert, Ashik, who was very nice and tried very hard to answer my question, I really did not get an effective answer to my problem so I do not feel as though I should accept the answer(s). I feel this is just one of those cases where things are screwed up enough so that no one can resolve the problem without having the computer right in front of them so they can tackle the problem head-on. I am therefore resigned to having to rebuild my bookmarks file item by item, which is likely to take me many hours over the next few weeks, as I find time to work on it. I'm sure I will have many other Mac-related questions over the next month while I am covered by the Mac-answer service I signed up for yesterday. I would appreciate knowing how this works, as I will probably apply my $45 balance to continuing that service when it is no longer free. Thank you. Joel Cavadel
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Since you didn't accepted the answer, the money is still yours and you can ask questions in future with that money. Or you can ask a refund from JustAnswer by mailing toXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Best Regards,