Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience:  worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products
51110040

i can not open itunes _error 7_windows erro 126

Customer Question

Category: Mac
Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 3 years ago.

Ipod Specialist :

Hi

Ipod Specialist :

How are you?

Ipod Specialist :

I understand that you are receiving error 7 and 126 while trying to open itunes.

Ipod Specialist :

Which OS do you use? windows xp, 7 or vista?

Customer:

windows xp

Ipod Specialist :

have you recently uninstalled itunes?

Customer:

no i have not

Ipod Specialist :

Did you try any troubleshooting for this?

Customer:

no

Ipod Specialist :

ok

Ipod Specialist :

When we receive the corefoundation.dll error, it is most often solved by uninstalling and reinstalling itunes.

Customer:

it was fixed oct.1 2010 agreement # XXXXX /p>

Ipod Specialist :

I cannot read the agreement number. It will reach me in encrypted form only

Ipod Specialist :

What did you do then to fix the issue?

Customer:

i would not like to uninstall at this time or i would loose all my music etc.

Ipod Specialist :

Uninstalling and reinstalling itunes will not delete any contents. Don't worry about that

Ipod Specialist :

It is just reinstalling the application. The music is stored in a different location.

Ipod Specialist :

I can walk you through the steps.

Customer:

i will try can i just install on top of i tunes or do i need to uninstall first

Ipod Specialist :

It is better to uninstall and reinstall itunes. Installing on top of it may not solve the issue.

Customer:

ok i will try it

Ipod Specialist :

You just need to go to the control panel and uninstall itunes, quicktime, apple software update, apple mobile device support and apple application support

Ipod Specialist :

Then go to My Computer->C:->Windows->System32, there if you find files called QuickTime and QuickTimeVR, just delete it. Then restart the computer and install itunes from www.apple.com/itunes/download.

Ipod Specialist :

Just reply to me if you have any difficulty.

Ipod Specialist :

I am always happy to help you.

Customer:

i could not remove apple software update there is a problem fatal error during installation

Ipod Specialist :

no problem. let's try it again. If you are still getting the error, forget that and uninstall the remaining

Ipod Specialist :

done?

Customer:

dumm question how do i get to 'windows 32"

Ipod Specialist :

I will help you

Ipod Specialist :

Do you see an icon called My Computer in the desktop?

Customer:

yes

Ipod Specialist :

Let's open that.

Customer:

ok

Ipod Specialist :

Now you will see your hard disk drive. In most computers, it will be called "Local Disk(C:)". Did you find that?

Customer:

i already have that

Ipod Specialist :

When you open that, you will find a folder called "windows"

Customer:

yes

Ipod Specialist :

When you open "windows", you will find the "system32" folder

Customer:

ok

Ipod Specialist :

Inside system32, if you find QuickTime or QuickTimeVR, delete those. You might find another file called quick.ime, which should not be deleted.

Customer:

its done

Ipod Specialist :

Now let's restart the computer and install itunes from www.apple.com/itunes/download.

Ipod Specialist :

Let me know of the progress

Customer:

i was not able to re install itunes it installs only part.

Ipod Specialist :

do you get any error messages?

Customer:

yes i do

Ipod Specialist :

what is that?

Customer:

it does not recognice my id and possword

Ipod Specialist :

When you install itunes, it will not ask you for an id and password.

Ipod Specialist :

Are you downloading from www.apple.com/itunes/download

Customer:

i will reinstall again and check what the error message was and get back to you

Ipod Specialist :

sure

Ipod Specialist :

Did it give you the error again?

Ipod Specialist :

I hope everything is working fine now. Just get back to me if you still have difficulty opening itunes.

Ipod Specialist :

Have a great day.

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Just get back to me if you still have difficulty opening itunes. Have a great day.

Thank You
Vinod